Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    Kenny Aronoff ...
    Great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Nicko McBrain. Been a Maiden fan since I was 10 or so.
    Fantastic powerhouse of a Drummer and a great band to boot...see them first time in late 70's....NWOBHM....at Duncolmbe Street Grimsby....Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Denny Stratton, Clive Burr and Paul Dianno they had just released their first ep 'Soundhouse Tapes' which i duly bought and got autographed by all the band and sold it a few months later for a fiver lol.....what a fool but the booze was more important back then i had a drink problem

User Info Menu

hmmm tough one but I would go with the Legendary groove master Steve Gadd for sure.. Man that would be awesome.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm not interested in a lesson but I'd love to sit down and have a conversation with Ringo Starr.

User Info Menu

I love this question and I love all the answers. It's too hard to chose! Buddy? Bonham? Mitch Mitchell? I love Max Weinberg! How about Lee Kerslake or Tommy Aldridge. Anyone for Steve Smith or Stuart Copeland? Then there were those guys in the 90's, Sean Kinney, Dave Abruzese, Matt Cameron, Jimmy Chamberlain. The mind fairly boggles. Having a good jam with Tommy Lee sounds like some serious fun. Okay, so I have to pick one. I'd choose Bonham.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I'm not interested in a lesson but I'd love to sit down and have a conversation with Ringo Starr.
    I agree. Although many do not like his style, I doubt anyone would deny how interesting a conversation with him would be.

I'll never forget the late Friday night back in 1996 that I spent sitting at a bar in my home town, having a quite drink. The only other person in the place was a nice gentleman sitting next to me with grey hair pulled back into a pony tail. He overheard me talking about the band and he introduced himself as "a drummer too". We talked for several hours about drums, music, and playing styles. He told me stories about his experiences playing "professionally". He conversed on my level, always interested in my opinions and encouraging me. He would hint at being successful, but never really gave any specifics. He gave me the phone number to his mother's house (he was in town visiting her for a week) and told me to call him if we had practice that weekend. He said he would come over and listen to me if he had time.

It wasn't until a few weeks later that I fully understood who the gentleman was. His name was Dennis St. John, and he had over 50 gold & platinum recordings to his credit. He was Neil Diamond's drummer and musical director throughout the 1970's. One of the nicest and most personable men I've ever met. He has since passed away.
    As it turns out, he was born here in my home town and his mother lived here her whole life. Ironically, only a few blocks from me.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Dave Lombardo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Fantastic powerhouse of a Drummer and a great band to boot...see them first time in late 70's....NWOBHM....at Duncolmbe Street Grimsby....Steve Harris, Dave Murray, Denny Stratton, Clive Burr and Paul Dianno they had just released their first ep 'Soundhouse Tapes' which i duly bought and got autographed by all the band and sold it a few months later for a fiver lol.....what a fool but the booze was more important back then i had a drink problem
    That is awesome, I have seen Maiden 4 times live and they deliver every time. My son loves the band and we are hoping to catch them on tour next time they are around our area.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Worlds greatest living Big Band drummer--Jeff Hamilton
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!

User Info Menu

Simon Kirke

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Right to the top of the food chain......................................Buddy.
    Great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jmastrodimos View Post
    Simon Kirke
    One of my favourites

User Info Menu

Thanks for all your replies everyone some great choices

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    That is awesome, I have seen Maiden 4 times live and they deliver every time. My son loves the band and we are hoping to catch them on tour next time they are around our area.
    I remember seeing Bruce aswell about the same time when he was with Samson...he made the right move joining Maiden...it was a great time for seeing the up and coming Bands back then when they were just cutting there teeth some went on to be massive headliners...great times

User Info Menu

Hands down, John Bonham. Close seconds would be Jeff Porcaro, steve smith, ian paice.

User Info Menu

Freddie Gruber (RIP)

User Info Menu

Great story not heard of the gentleman in question but must of been a great experience for you...nice one mate

User Info Menu

Neil Peart

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    I love this question and I love all the answers. It's too hard to chose! Buddy? Bonham? Mitch Mitchell? I love Max Weinberg! How about Lee Kerslake or Tommy Aldridge. Anyone for Steve Smith or Stuart Copeland? Then there were those guys in the 90's, Sean Kinney, Dave Abruzese, Matt Cameron, Jimmy Chamberlain. The mind fairly boggles. Having a good jam with Tommy Lee sounds like some serious fun. Okay, so I have to pick one. I'd choose Bonham.
    Ha,ha so many to choose some great choices

User Info Menu

Let's See:

My Top 3:

1- John Bonham
    2- Buddy Rich
    3- and what the Hell ill throw in myself into that mix LOL

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    Hands down, John Bonham. Close seconds would be Jeff Porcaro, steve smith, ian paice.
    I had a private lesson with Jeff Porcaro.

User Info Menu

Not sure if he's at legend status, but I'd have to say Matt Cameron. I've played along to his albums hundreds of times and still find new things. He also seems like a nice guy.
    I don't put a face on God. So he would probably look like Jimi Hendrix.
    - Chad Smith
    Everyone's screwed up in their own special way.
    Joey Ramone

User Info Menu

Stewart Copeland, if not for his forging of an instantly recognizeable style and vibe, then for his personality - dude would fun to hang with for an hour. Or more.

User Info Menu

Orrrrrr

Phil Collins - whose early Genesis and Brand X work was stunningly detailed, and whose post-"going solo" work was as impactful, tasteful and just darn tasty sounding as anything he did when he was playing prog and fusion. Plus, like Copeland, he seems to be a really fun dude. A shame that he can't play anymore due to his injuries, but I'd still take a lesson.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I had a private lesson with Jeff Porcaro.
    Wow....must of been nerve wrecking and totally inspiring at the same time