Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 50

Thread: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Hard question i know but if I was lucky enough i think i would choose Ian Paice....who would be your choice

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Oh man this is so tough because I have so many favorites in so many different genres....

    I think I would stick with Mike Portnoy.
    Though he's no longer with Dream Theater it was always a dream to play drums with him.
    My band opened for Dream Theater many many years ago which was a dream come true for me.
    But I'd love to sit down and do a one on one with him.
    19pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 5pc Gretsch Energy | 41 Snare drums and growing!

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Oh man this is so tough because I have so many favorites in so many different genres....

    I think I would stick with Mike Portnoy.
    Though he's no longer with Dream Theater it was always a dream to play drums with him.
    My band opened for Dream Theater many many years ago which was a dream come true for me.
    But I'd love to sit down and do a one on one with him.
    Wow....he his indeed an amazing Drummer....at 55 i'm a tad old school as you can imagine it was difficult for me to be honest to pick Ian Paice as the likes of Brian Downey, Bill Ward, Simon Kirke, Chris Layton sprung to mind like you say so many fabulous Drummers about thanks for your reply

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Chris Layton. I'd love to learn more about the Texas Shuffle.
    Six piece birch Mapex kit, a Black Panther Blade snare drum, Sabian cymbals, and Vater Drumsticks.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Chris Layton. I'd love to learn more about the Texas Shuffle.
    Me too....i can't get the hang of the 4 on the floor shuffle...i just mess it up lol....but i'll keep trying...cheers

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    During the late 80s, I was a part-time (side-gig) reporter for a local music rag.
    The largest music store in town was endorsing and promoting a drum clinic with Ginger Baker.
    I called the store and asked if I could get an interview -- they said "yes, come on over to the store after lunch and find the back room -- we will be setting up the drums and trying different options -- you can ask your questions while we are working."

    So I showed up and asked all my questions and as GB was trying the final set-up of the kit, I asked him about the "backwardness" of Sunshine of Your Love.
    He said he wanted to do something different and showed me the beat and his fills that went in to the song.
    Not really a "lesson" but some fun pointers.
    He was very friendly and equally as good at the clinic that evening; he did a lot of cool jazz feels for us.
    I still have his autograph on the cover of a CREAM album.

    Side note: one of my questions had to do with SWLABR, a great tune from DISRAELI GEARS -- GB told me it was an acronym for SHE WAS LIKE A BEARDED RAINBOW.
    Hey.................that song was released in 1967....................have another hit of acid................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    During the late 80s, I was a part-time (side-gig) reporter for a local music rag.
    The largest music store in town was endorsing and promoting a drum clinic with Ginger Baker.
    I called the store and asked if I could get an interview -- they said "yes, come on over to the store after lunch and find the back room -- we will be setting up the drums and trying different options -- you can ask your questions while we are working."

    So I showed up and asked all my questions and as GB was trying the final set-up of the kit, I asked him about the "backwardness" of Sunshine of Your Love.
    He said he wanted to do something different and showed me the beat and his fills that went in to the song.
    Not really a "lesson" but some fun pointers.
    He was very friendly and equally as good at the clinic that evening; he did a lot of cool jazz feels for us.
    I still have his autograph on the cover of a CREAM album.

    Side note: one of my questions had to do with SWLABR, a great tune from DISRAELI GEARS -- GB told me it was an acronym for SHE WAS LIKE A BEARDED RAINBOW.
    Hey.................that song was released in 1967....................have another hit of acid................
    I am officially envious! I was 13 in 1964 when I bought my first drum set and at some point in the following years it became all about Ginger Baker and Cream. To this day I practice daily with Cream songs in my head and I would have loved to have met Ginger at some point. I have a friend who did meet him in Colorado a number of years ago and again, I'm so envious!

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Alex Van Halen
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    http://reddirtmountain.com/
    UFiP

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Right to the top of the food chain......................................Buddy.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gbkirsch View Post
    I am officially envious! I was 13 in 1964 when I bought my first drum set and at some point in the following years it became all about Ginger Baker and Cream.
    Cool.......................below are photos from that day in the back room..................

    GBaker1.jpg

    GBaker2.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    John bonham. Although he thought most of the time that he wasn't even that good. I can't image sitting behind his drums with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    During the late 80s, I was a part-time (side-gig) reporter for a local music rag.
    The largest music store in town was endorsing and promoting a drum clinic with Ginger Baker.
    I called the store and asked if I could get an interview -- they said "yes, come on over to the store after lunch and find the back room -- we will be setting up the drums and trying different options -- you can ask your questions while we are working."

    So I showed up and asked all my questions and as GB was trying the final set-up of the kit, I asked him about the "backwardness" of Sunshine of Your Love.
    He said he wanted to do something different and showed me the beat and his fills that went in to the song.
    Not really a "lesson" but some fun pointers.
    He was very friendly and equally as good at the clinic that evening; he did a lot of cool jazz feels for us.
    I still have his autograph on the cover of a CREAM album.

    Side note: one of my questions had to do with SWLABR, a great tune from DISRAELI GEARS -- GB told me it was an acronym for SHE WAS LIKE A BEARDED RAINBOW.
    Hey.................that song was released in 1967....................have another hit of acid................
    Great stuff

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    This is an easy one. OK...maybe Hannah Ford is not a legend, but I'd sure enjoy and remember it
    IMG_1079.jpg
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    If I had to pick a "legend", I suppose I'd go with Charlie Watts. Mostly because I think I could relate to his style better and get more out of it than I would from someone who's very technical/busy.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Out of left field ,Mitch Markovitch or Larry McCormick.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    This is an easy one. OK...maybe Hannah Ford is not a legend, but I'd sure enjoy and remember it
    IMG_1079.jpg
    Oooh yeah....good choice

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If I had to pick a "legend", I suppose I'd go with Charlie Watts. Mostly because I think I could relate to his style better and get more out of it than I would from someone who's very technical/busy.
    Great quote.....there's so many gifted musicians about today that are technically brilliant....flash and ott....but i'd rather listen to the music of the 50's, 60's and 70's they knew how to write songs back then....evergreen that will stay with you forever....although technically brilliant today most bands churn out ****e....just my opinion.

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?


  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Hard to pick someone not living, but for me would have been Elvin Jones

    all the best...

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Stephen Perkins
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    let's see Neil Smith, Don Brewer, Harold Ray Brown , Neil Peart and Buddy rich.
    Keep on drumming and have fun doing it.

    5pc Pearl MCX Chestnut Fade 12x9, 13x10, 16x16, 18x22 14x6.5 matching snare
    Pearl Sensitone 14x5.5 steel alloy snare
    Vintage Slingerland " Festival" steel snare 14x5
    Zildjian A's (avendis) Vintage 70's era
    17 med thin crash, 14 new beat hhts and 21 sweet crash/ride
    Zildjian K 18 med thin crash
    Pearl 1000 series all double braced hadware: 2 cymbal stands , 1 boom stand, hhts stand, snare stand
    Pearl Eliminator single chain drive

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Kenny Aronoff ...

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Nicko McBrain. Been a Maiden fan since I was 10 or so.
    Last edited by OldeEnglishD; 07-21-2017 at 12:45 PM.
    Drumming noob
    Yamaha Stage Custom
    22x16, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5
    Cranberry Red
    Zildjian A Custom Hats
    Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride
    Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17"
    Tama Iron Cobra 600 Series double chain pedal

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Hard to pick someone not living, but for me would have been Elvin Jones

    all the best...
    Excellent choice

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    let's see Neil Smith, Don Brewer, Harold Ray Brown , Neil Peart and Buddy rich.
    Neil Smith good choice

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •