Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would you do it?

User Info Menu

Default Would you do it?

I put myself on our local Craigslist here in town as a session drummer as, "willing to collaborate" on original material and I got a call from a producer/guitarist who needs a drummer to finish his CD (8 songs). He built his own recording studio in the neighboring county (2 hour round trip from my home) and the work is all for free.

His music is Christian metal but NOT worship or praise music (let's not go there, I need this thread kept open). He wants me to play like the other drummer on the tracks who was paid for his services but can't continue on due to other obligations and commitments that were made prior to taking on this project.

I was told in the email that I had to match the other drummer's dynamics and try to come as close to his style of playing as possible.

It was finally revealed to me who this drummer is and for those heavy metal fans, it's none other than Vinny Appice, former drummer for Black Sabbath who replaced Bill Ward when Ronnie James Dio took over for Ozzy Osborn. Appice left Black Sabbath with Dio and formed "The Ronnie James Dio Band" or more commonly known as "Dio" in the mid '80's.

About the only thing I have in common with Appice is we share the same tastes in drum finishes.

I was urged by this guitarist to at least audition for the part but the intimidation factor is +10 and I was honest about my apprehension. I don't have Vinny's chops and I was upfront about it but confident I could play the parts well and with passion.

The guitarist wants to jam with me to see if we have any "chemistry". I sent him three original songs I helped write and arrange. It's nowhere near "metal" music but the songs do reflect my skill level and I feel it's some of my best playing. My biggest fear is rejection. I've put myself "out there" several times and the experience has been a positive one but I never seemed to cope with rejection. Well, I think I'm "over my head" and confessed this outloud in the email.

Something deep down inside is saying "I got to get over this fear of rejection and face my challenges straight on" but I've been in this situation before.

If I were to audition, I'd opt to take this and keep the set-up simple which will keep me from overplaying.

My thinking? I got nothing to lose expect for my pride and I've had a mouthful in the past and sometimes it's hard to swallow.

Your thoughts on this?? Again, thanks for your input. I appreciate any help I can get from you wise folks on DC.
    Last edited by late8; 08-11-2017 at 03:18 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Would you do it?

You told him up front. He could go through a long list of pro drummers, spend a ton of money and still not get the "exact" sound of Appice. Im guessing he thinks if he can find someone like you who can copy it to an acceptable level, for free, he's got it made.

I say; go try it, just for the experience. Nothing to lose. In this case, you can't even feel bad if it doesn't work out. If you jam with the guy, maybe he'll like your own style and you can start something else in the future.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Go to the audition .
    I wouldn't do the gig for free . But I do this for a living so my situation is different than yours .
    The more we put ourselves out there the more we grow . I've been turned down plenty of times . I've turned down gigs because I knew I wasn't the drummer for that gig (playing wise) . Nobody can be right for every gig ... nobody .
    Face to face meeting could be good . He might just drop the whole "you must sound just like him" thing and let you be yourself , content that he has two very capable drummers on his recording . You may be the only person he's been able to get interested in his project .
    Give it a shot .
    I hope you get to move forward with this . That's how greatness gets started . Then you can start asking for money !
    Seriously .... good luck !
    Rudy .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    You told him up front. He could go through a long list of pro drummers, spend a ton of money and still not get the "exact" sound of Appice. Im guessing he thinks if he can find someone like you who can copy it to an acceptable level, for free, he's got it made.

I say; go try it, just for the experience. Nothing to lose. In this case, you can't even feel bad if it doesn't work out. If you jam with the guy, maybe he'll like your own style and you can start something else in the future.
    Great advice. Thank you Brian! I appreciate your insight and you're 100% correct about his situation. Very smart you are.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedi View Post
    Go to the audition .
    I wouldn't do the gig for free . But I do this for a living so my situation is different than yours .
    The more we put ourselves out there the more we grow . I've been turned down plenty of times . I've turned down gigs because I knew I wasn't the drummer for that gig (playing wise) . Nobody can be right for every gig ... nobody .
    Face to face meeting could be good . He might just drop the whole "you must sound just like him" thing and let you be yourself , content that he has two very capable drummers on his recording . You may be the only person he's been able to get interested in his project .
    Give it a shot .
    I hope you get to move forward with this . That's how greatness gets started . Then you can start asking for money !
    Seriously .... good luck !
    Rudy .
    Thanks Rudy...your words mean a lot since you and a few others here do (or have done) this for a living! You're absolutely right about "going out on a limb". It will make me a stronger player and force me to utilize every piece of advice that many have shared with us here on this forum. The time and dedication needed to sustain a presence in our communities as musicians isn't an easy road for some but your lifetime of commitment has shown drummers like me that anything is possible if you put your best foot forward. Again, I'm indebted to you and others for the advice.

User Info Menu

Rich - I know you stated:

"Something deep down inside is saying "I got to get over this fear of rejection and face my challenges straight on" but I've been in this situation before. "

and: "My thinking? I got nothing to lose expect for my pride and I've had a mouthful in the past and sometimes it's hard to swallow."

Life is full of challenges my friend. All you can do is go audition. There's no harm and no foul in that whatsoever. Pride? I think you should be proud of yourself for even being considered! Dude, you have chops!

The only thing that kills me is that they want a drummer that can play with the EXACT dynamics and style. That I call BS on.

Like N2Bluz stated "He could go through a long list of pro drummers, spend a ton of money and still not get the "exact" sound of Appice. Im guessing he thinks if he can find someone like you who can copy it to an acceptable level, for free, he's got it made."

I have never, ever known a drummer that can play EXACTLY like another drummer with exact dynamics. If someone can name two drummers that can do that, I'd be amazed because I don't think there is such a thing. I think the demands this guitarist is looking for is next to impossible.

But you know what? You're never going to know unless you just GO DO IT!

What was that line Yoda used? Do or do not. There is no try.

I know damn well you can DO IT!
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Rich, while I have no doubt that you could do it, this,

"The only thing that kills me is that they want a drummer that can play with the EXACT dynamics and style. That I call BS on."

is what would turn me off.

At some point, this guy is going to come to the realization that he is almost definitely NOT going to get what he wants. How much time he is going to waste looking and how much of other peoples time is he going to waste becomes the question.

User Info Menu

Free is a hard word to swallow. If he wants to use your services than you should get something in return, 8 songs is a lot of music.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

You were open and honest with the guy, even sent him songs you were on so he could hear your level and style of playing. That is all that could be reasonably asked on your end. You didn't misrepresent yourself or your chops. If it is meant to be, it will happen. Good luck.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

You lost me at "the work is all for free".

User Info Menu

Go for it Rich you are a great drummer and as for the work for free well you could always ask for a cut from the sales of the CD and if they accept get it in writing.Good luck man

User Info Menu

I would jump in that ring so fast.
    I LOVE a good drum challenge.
    Especially if it was something like this!
    I'm actually jealous of your opportunity

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    If it doesn't work out, he can give the guy your name. Maybe the guy would fly you out to CA for a weekend.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

he wants to hire vinnie appice for free is basically what hes saying. lol... no thanks

"Please be a top tier professional drummer for my personal project, you will not be paid"

thats basically what it says to me
    Too Much Stuff.

User Info Menu

"Here are my list of demands and you must do it for free."

That is quite the bold position and if you want to go see what this is about, I would go for it BUT remember the following:

If you do actually get a rejection (which I doubt), then you have to believe this guy's expectations may never be met...........what kind of person expects people to give something for nothing ?...........especially their valuable time and effort ?
    In this context, if you walk away with nothing, you have lost nothing.

Remember that, once you settle in, the studio is less demanding than the live gig -- you actually get second, third and fourth chances. If the guy is such a tightwad-producer, then he is not paying for studio time and you should not be under huge pressure to produce a perfect track on take # 1.
    Also, if his studio is digital, your job is also easier because of the edit capabilities.

If you are supposed to learn everything before arrival, that is a time investment...............that would make me pause.
    I would want to work up only two tunes (max) on the first trip to his place before I invest more time............let's see how this plays out.
    You will both know after working on those two songs together.
    I have spent many days in the recording studio; even when everyone shows up completely prepared, running through more than two songs in a day is usually trying to get too much done at the sacrifice of quality results.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    There is this fact. Depends on what you're looking to get out of it. Maybe do it for the experience. Some people don't always need financial compensation for what they do. That's completely your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Go for it Rich you are a great drummer and as for the work for free well you could always ask for a cut from the sales of the CD and if they accept get it in writing.Good luck man
    And then maybe this could be the compensation you're after.

Quote Originally Posted by SpatzST View Post
    he wants to hire vinnie appice for free is basically what hes saying. lol... no thanks

"Please be a top tier professional drummer for my personal project, you will not be paid"

thats basically what it says to me
    And this is what kills it for me. The guys want professional talent for free which tells me the guy doesn't give a "you know what" about you because it's all about him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

That is quite the bold position and if you want to go see what this is about, I would go for it BUT remember the following:

If you do actually get a rejection (which I doubt), then you have to believe this guy's expectations may never be met...........what kind of person expects people to give something for nothing ?...........especially their valuable time and effort ?

Remember that, once you settle in, the studio is less demanding than the live gig -- you actually get second, third and fourth chances. If the guy is such a tightwad-producer, then he is not paying for studio time and you should not be under huge pressure to produce a perfect track on take # 1.
    Also, if his studio is digital, your job is also easier because of the edit capabilities.

If you are supposed to learn everything before arrival, that is a time investment...............that would make me pause.
    I would want to work up only two tunes (max) on the first trip to his place before I invest more time............let's see how this plays out.
    I have spent many days in the recording studio; even when everyone shows up completely prepared, running through more than two songs in a day is usually trying to get too much done at the sacrifice of quality results.
    I could not agree more. What I am getting out of all of this is, it's up to you what you want to get out of it. Remember, the guy is looking for professional talent for free. You could gain experience and that sounds like it would be your only compensation. If it were me, a much younger me who had plenty of time on his hands, I'd do it just for the experience.

It totally your call brother. The others here have given very sound advice IMHO. It's totally up to you brother. I wish you nothing but the best my friend.
    Stolen from EddieV:
    Boom, ching, boom boom ching, fuggadugga fuggadugga fuggadugga crash. Rinse, Repeat ad-nauseum.

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Come on Mark. You steal copy. Just look at your signature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Nothing says 'tough' like a drummer with ducklings on his drums. Ha!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Markadiddle View Post
    Rich - I know you stated:

"Something deep down inside is saying "I got to get over this fear of rejection and face my challenges straight on" but I've been in this situation before. "

and: "My thinking? I got nothing to lose expect for my pride and I've had a mouthful in the past and sometimes it's hard to swallow."

Life is full of challenges my friend. All you can do is go audition. There's no harm and no foul in that whatsoever. Pride? I think you should be proud of yourself for even being considered! Dude, you have chops!

The only thing that kills me is that they want a drummer that can play with the EXACT dynamics and style. That I call BS on.

Like N2Bluz stated "He could go through a long list of pro drummers, spend a ton of money and still not get the "exact" sound of Appice. Im guessing he thinks if he can find someone like you who can copy it to an acceptable level, for free, he's got it made."

I have never, ever known a drummer that can play EXACTLY like another drummer with exact dynamics. If someone can name two drummers that can do that, I'd be amazed because I don't think there is such a thing. I think the demands this guitarist is looking for is next to impossible.

But you know what? You're never going to know unless you just GO DO IT!

What was that line Yoda used? Do or do not. There is no try.

I know damn well you can DO IT!
    Well said Mark! You're spot on with your post. I had a long talk with the guitar player last night and here's what I discovered. All of his CDs (3x) were produced by file sharing. Appice was sent sound files which he downloaded to his computer in his studio and he listened to a drum track that was a programmed "plug in". He recorded his own version and sent the file back.

The guitar track and Appice's drum track was then emailed to the bass players studio where the same process was repeated with the bass track added. The completed file is then sent to a producer who mixes all of the tracks. Vocals are added last. Viol la`. The only drawback to this is "you get what you get" and there is no "face to face" time in any studio setting.

I'm told this is how it's done today. In my humble opinion, this may work for most but I find the music lacks any feel or vibe when it's done this way. I explained my approach of playing "live" together on a scratch track then overdubbing everything. The guitar player likes this idea but had no means of recording drums in his "studio". Matt's studio is much better equipped to handle this in a more organic way.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Rich, while I have no doubt that you could do it, this,

"The only thing that kills me is that they want a drummer that can play with the EXACT dynamics and style. That I call BS on."is what would turn me off. At some point, this guy is going to come to the realization that he is almost definitely NOT going to get what he wants. How much time he is going to waste looking and how much of other peoples time is he going to waste becomes the question.
    Thanks Rick and I totally agree. File sharing. That's how it's done today apparently. Appice never stepped foot into this guy's studio. It was all done over the internet. Unfortunately, I live in a rural area and have no DLS line to my home. My internet connection is from a wireless provider and the bandwidth is narrow and upload and download times are slow and outages occur often. The only way for me to track drums is to drive to this guy's house (2 hour trip) and track it in his studio but he has no mixing board. It's all ProTools and plug in guitar effects. I'm behind the times if this is how it's done today. He's going to have to spend at least $3000 on an IO panel to interface with ProTools which could get him at least 8 channels to mic drums. This overhead does not exist if you can file share and have a drummer like Appice "sell" you his services. Imagine that right? You never have to haul a kit around; just file share if you have a drum room and software.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Free is a hard word to swallow. If he wants to use your services than you should get something in return, 8 songs is a lot of music.
    Hey there slinky. Thanks for the input. You're right. There's a lot of work involved but I heard his stuff. Sounds like it was an easy gig for Appice and the drumming isn't that complicated. Anybody on this forum can drum his music. It's sounds like a cross between Styx and Joe Satriani. In fact it's Satriani's producer who is handling all of the engineering and creative input. If this is the case with the 8 songs I'm to track, it might open some doors but if not, no biggie. I'm hoping to take something positive away from this experience if he likes my style which is really close to how Appice plays.

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    You were open and honest with the guy, even sent him songs you were on so he could hear your level and style of playing. That is all that could be reasonably asked on your end. You didn't misrepresent yourself or your chops. If it is meant to be, it will happen. Good luck.
    Thanks OldeEnglishD! Spot on with your post. He's coming over Saturday to jam. I asked him to pick out two songs off his website and I will learn them note for note. I've done this before with cover bands. I'll download the song to my MP3 player and run it through my PA. I'll set up my ekit and take a 1/4" stereo cord out to an input channel to the PA head so I'll have song and drums mixed together. With a pair of headphones plugged into the ekit module, I'll be able to hear and play. It takes hours of practice to do this but I haven't changed how I learn songs since I was a youngster. It was mom's HIFI cranked up and me on pots and pans and chopsticks used as drumsticks.

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Yup... I got no "pro" credentials to warrant a fee yet. Appice was a good choice for this type of music. I'm going to nail this down and if there is such a thing as "next time", I'll ask to be compensated. I'm going to have to suck it up on this one and chalk it up as a learning experience but I'll give him my best stuff. I listened to what Appice did and there's the typical "heavy metal" vibe behind the music. Lots of 6's and triplet flam triplet stuff. A bit "mechanically" played; like typewriting with many rudimentary fills such as the praradiddle-diddle stroke and KKRLRL fills between guitar riffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Thanks Gilles. Great advice as usual. I can always count you to watch my back and to keep me on a positive keel. Yes, if he accepts my playing, I would expect a cut in the CD sales and I'll get it in writing too. Good call. Maybe I'll save enough money to someday visit Canada to drop in on you and Jaz to personally thank you for the many years we spent together on DC. Keep your fingers crossed and thanks for the good wishes!

I can't wait to jam with him. He's coming over rather than me haul a small trap set to his place. I think he wants to see me play metal on a double bass kit so I sent him a birdseye pic of what I got set up today in my garage.

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If it doesn't work out, he can give the guy your name. Maybe the guy would fly you out to CA for a weekend.
    lol! It's all done by file sharing now. Blown away by the fact that Pink Floyd's member's hated each other so much that the resentment led to file sharing but on audio tape! Yikes!! Can you imagine the hurdles one would encounter if the audio tape on the reel to reel stretched and by the time it ended up at the re-mastering phase, everybody's time signature is off by a hair?

Roger Waters at Abbey Road Studios

Last edited by late8; 01-26-2017 at 12:06 PM.

User Info Menu

You never know what you'll find. This guy could be best friends with Appice, a super nice guy and a killer guitarist/producer.....or he could be a total dilutional flake, LOL. 1hr round trip is nothing. I'd take the drive to meet him and talk first...maybe jam for an hour. If he likes and wants you to play, you could discuss future compensation. Maybe he has connections that would benefit your personal recording projects.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

Thank you for this! All points well taken. I asked for two songs in my last email exchange. I'll download them and learn the note for note. He's going to need to invest in a $3000+ IO panel to get at least 8 channels to mic a kit. He doesn't have this now which is why the solicited the serves of Appice and Co. Joe Satriani's producer who did his last batch of albums is mixing and mastering the CD.

Vinny Appice

Last edited by late8; 08-11-2017 at 03:20 PM.

User Info Menu

continued....

Other drummer credits on (3x) CDs include:

Mark Proctor-Drums

In 2013, he was named Oklahoma’s top drummer by Music Megabass. He is currently endorsed by Sabian cymbals and Gretsch drums, as well as several other drum companies.

Tony Morra-Drums

Tony shared the stage with the likes of Michael Bolton, MC Hammer, Wilson Phillips, C & C Music Factory, New Kids On The Block, Amy Grant, and many of the pop acts of the time.

Last edited by late8; 01-26-2017 at 12:02 PM.

User Info Menu

Rich, sounds like a fun opportunity...........I love Vinny's style as I grew up listening to a lot of Dio.

I would jump on this in a heartbeat.................who knows what it could lead to in the future.

Good luck brother...............you can do it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by longgun View Post
    Rich, sounds like a fun opportunity...........I love Vinny's style as I grew up listening to a lot of Dio.

I would jump on this in a heartbeat.................who knows what it could lead to in the future.

Good luck brother...............you can do it!
    Thanks Butch. I appreciate the good luck too. I grew up listening to Dio as well. I went to see them Sacramento and Appice had this huge kit. He's a power drummer for sure. I'll have to view his video and get some tips.!

User Info Menu

I wish I was financially stable enough that I could quit my job or go to a part time job and attempt to go back on tour and make a go at music again.

User Info Menu

I'm sure my personal/money situation is different than yours...

I agree with all of your personal reasons for wanting to do this project and think that it's a great opportunity to get some valuable experience. However, there is no way I would do all of that for free considering this sounds like a commercial project where money will be made. I have tracked songs free for people that saw my YouTube channel and liked my playing, but they were all amateur situations where the songwriter was not likely to sell copies and make any significant money. I can see doing a song for free to see if you are compatible, but 8 tunes is way too many for me.

User Info Menu

I wish I was financially stable enough that I could quit my job or go to a part time job and attempt to go back on tour and make a go at music again.
    This was my dream so many years ago and it looked so out of reach so I decided to get a college degree and worked hard at my craft (video production) and made a great living at it. I give kudos to every full time musician out there. It ain't as glamour's as it sounds right?

Quote Originally Posted by Redeye View Post
    I'm sure my personal/money situation is different than yours...

I agree with all of your personal reasons for wanting to do this project and think that it's a great opportunity to get some valuable experience. However, there is no way I would do all of that for free considering this sounds like a commercial project where money will be made. I have tracked songs free for people that saw my YouTube channel and liked my playing, but they were all amateur situations where the songwriter was not likely to sell copies and make any significant money. I can see doing a song for free to see if you are compatible, but 8 tunes is way too many for me.
    Great prospective Shane. After 3 CD releases, this guy hasn't made a dime and he confessed to me that his initial investment had to be doubled from what was it first projected to be due to an upgrade from a Roland 2480 DAW to $5,000+ for ProTools software, PC to Mac upgrade, IO panels, and cables etc. Now he's in a jam because everything was done via file sharing and no Vinny Appice available.

I think in today's world there is absolutely no money to be made from CD sales. It appears to me that everybody is giving their stuff away for free and what brings in the money is merchandise sales while on tour. That seemed be the case with the bands that rolls through my town that I had the pleasure of working with as a drum tech.

User Info Menu

I provided the drum tracks to a song for a friend of mine in San Francisco.

He sent me the ADAT with a different drummer and requested I add my own tracks and then delete the other guy...............I went to my local studio guy and we got it done............an early version of file sharing, I suppose..............early 90s maybe.

Any way, it was awkward and I did not like the "flow" of the tracks.
    As you say....................mechanical.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)