Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

Hard question i know but if I was lucky enough i think i would choose Ian Paice....who would be your choice

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you could have a private lesson with a legend who would it be?

Oh man this is so tough because I have so many favorites in so many different genres....

I think I would stick with Mike Portnoy.
    Though he's no longer with Dream Theater it was always a dream to play drums with him.
    My band opened for Dream Theater many many years ago which was a dream come true for me.
    But I'd love to sit down and do a one on one with him.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Oh man this is so tough because I have so many favorites in so many different genres....

I think I would stick with Mike Portnoy.
    Though he's no longer with Dream Theater it was always a dream to play drums with him.
    My band opened for Dream Theater many many years ago which was a dream come true for me.
    But I'd love to sit down and do a one on one with him.
    Wow....he his indeed an amazing Drummer....at 55 i'm a tad old school as you can imagine it was difficult for me to be honest to pick Ian Paice as the likes of Brian Downey, Bill Ward, Simon Kirke, Chris Layton sprung to mind like you say so many fabulous Drummers about thanks for your reply

User Info Menu

Chris Layton. I'd love to learn more about the Texas Shuffle.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Chris Layton. I'd love to learn more about the Texas Shuffle.
    Me too....i can't get the hang of the 4 on the floor shuffle...i just mess it up lol....but i'll keep trying...cheers

User Info Menu

During the late 80s, I was a part-time (side-gig) reporter for a local music rag.
    The largest music store in town was endorsing and promoting a drum clinic with Ginger Baker.
    I called the store and asked if I could get an interview -- they said "yes, come on over to the store after lunch and find the back room -- we will be setting up the drums and trying different options -- you can ask your questions while we are working."

So I showed up and asked all my questions and as GB was trying the final set-up of the kit, I asked him about the "backwardness" of Sunshine of Your Love.
    He said he wanted to do something different and showed me the beat and his fills that went in to the song.
    Not really a "lesson" but some fun pointers.
    He was very friendly and equally as good at the clinic that evening; he did a lot of cool jazz feels for us.
    I still have his autograph on the cover of a CREAM album.

Side note: one of my questions had to do with SWLABR, a great tune from DISRAELI GEARS -- GB told me it was an acronym for SHE WAS LIKE A BEARDED RAINBOW.
    Hey.................that song was released in 1967....................have another hit of acid................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    During the late 80s, I was a part-time (side-gig) reporter for a local music rag.
    The largest music store in town was endorsing and promoting a drum clinic with Ginger Baker.
    I called the store and asked if I could get an interview -- they said "yes, come on over to the store after lunch and find the back room -- we will be setting up the drums and trying different options -- you can ask your questions while we are working."

So I showed up and asked all my questions and as GB was trying the final set-up of the kit, I asked him about the "backwardness" of Sunshine of Your Love.
    He said he wanted to do something different and showed me the beat and his fills that went in to the song.
    He was very friendly and equally as good at the clinic that evening; he did a lot of cool jazz feels for us.

Side note: one of my questions had to do with SWLABR, a great tune from DISRAELI GEARS -- GB told me it was an acronym for SHE WAS LIKE A BEARDED RAINBOW.
    Hey.................that song was released in 1967....................have another hit of acid................
    I am officially envious! I was 13 in 1964 when I bought my first drum set and at some point in the following years it became all about Ginger Baker and Cream. To this day I practice daily with Cream songs in my head and I would have loved to have met Ginger at some point. I have a friend who did meet him in Colorado a number of years ago and again, I'm so envious!

User Info Menu

Alex Van Halen
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Right to the top of the food chain......................................Buddy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Right to the top of the food chain......................................Buddy.
    Great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gbkirsch View Post
    I am officially envious! I was 13 in 1964 when I bought my first drum set and at some point in the following years it became all about Ginger Baker and Cream.
    Cool.......................below are photos from that day in the back room..................

GBaker1.jpg

GBaker2.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post

Great stuff

User Info Menu

John bonham. Although he thought most of the time that he wasn't even that good. I can't image sitting behind his drums with him.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

This is an easy one. OK...maybe Hannah Ford is not a legend, but I'd sure enjoy and remember it
    IMG_1079.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    This is an easy one. OK...maybe Hannah Ford is not a legend, but I'd sure enjoy and remember it
    IMG_1079.jpg
    Oooh yeah....good choice

User Info Menu

If I had to pick a "legend", I suppose I'd go with Charlie Watts. Mostly because I think I could relate to his style better and get more out of it than I would from someone who's very technical/busy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    If I had to pick a "legend", I suppose I'd go with Charlie Watts. Mostly because I think I could relate to his style better and get more out of it than I would from someone who's very technical/busy.
    Great quote.....there's so many gifted musicians about today that are technically brilliant....flash and ott....but i'd rather listen to the music of the 50's, 60's and 70's they knew how to write songs back then....evergreen that will stay with you forever....although technically brilliant today most bands churn out ****e....just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Out of left field ,Mitch Markovitch or Larry McCormick.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Hard to pick someone not living, but for me would have been Elvin Jones

all the best...

User Info Menu

Stephen Perkins
    Premier XPK Drums
    10, 12, 13, 14, 16 Suspended toms
    22 bass drum
    5 x 14 snare
    Premier Hardware
    Offset Double Pedal
    Sabian, Meniel cymbals
    Tama Metalworks 6.5 x 14" Black Nickel snare
    Ahead Drum Cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    Hard to pick someone not living, but for me would have been Elvin Jones

all the best...
    Excellent choice

User Info Menu

let's see Neil Smith, Don Brewer, Harold Ray Brown , Neil Peart and Buddy rich.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    let's see Neil Smith, Don Brewer, Harold Ray Brown , Neil Peart and Buddy rich.
    Neil Smith good choice

User Info Menu

Hands down, John Bonham. Close seconds would be Jeff Porcaro, steve smith, ian paice.