Thread: My newest purchase

User Info Menu

Default My newest purchase

I am loving my DW collectors but at my last gig the 1st with this kit the 24" bass drum was really overpowering and hauling that around with the dw 9934 tom/cymbal stand is just a little too much. So unless a special occasion or a bigger venue I decided I needed a 2nd gigging kit. Man was my wife ecstatic.

I was looking on CL and GC used sections and had a budget of $600 tops, I decided I would rather have 100% birch and a 22" bass drum. I walked into GC store and they had a 5pc demo Tama superstar classic with a nice red sparkle wrap for $500 after 15% discount. I thought about it and my history with Tama and still decided well if it tests out nice I love the color and even though it is not birch I would probably buy it. Would'nt ya know I tighten up the lugs on the snare to test it out and the lugs although tight were angled and would not fully sit on the rim, almost like maybe the rim was bent all the way around. I found this with the 16" and 12" toms as well..LOL Okay I am now officially done with Tama, just not meant to be for me.

I was close to a pdp 6pc birch but the guy was asking $700 used and would not budge, while perusing CL again I found a brand new Sonor essential force birch 5pc kit in gorgeous green fade for $500. The drive was about 40 minutes away and when I got there the guy also had a 2007 brand new, I went with the essential force and it also came with all the hardware, pedal, plus the cymbal, hi hat and snare stands. I just put some eveans ec2's on it and wow she sounds really nice.

I have owned a kit or 2 from just about every major manufacturer and I must say that Sonor is by far the best IMO, it is the only kit I have ever purchased that every single screw was tight inside the shells, the hardware is top notch, every drum is round and the bearing edges are pristine. That goes for the other 2 sonors I bought as well. (still missing that beech kit)

Here are a few pics of what I am yapping about

20170721_101155.jpg
    20170722_195433.jpg
    Last edited by MDK; 07-23-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: My newest purchase

Nice!!!

I loved my SONOR 3007. I truly agree they are top quality and have a great sound.

Congrats on finally finding what you needed.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I saw Sam Bryant play a Sonar kit when he toured with Kenny Wayne Shepherd, and it sounded phenomenal. I believe Sam has gone to DW's now.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Absolutely love that finish! Congrats on the new kit.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal