Thread: Problem with Tama hihat adjustrment bolt/screw

User Info Menu

Default Problem with Tama hihat adjustrment bolt/screw

I have a Tama Iron Cobra Hihat a few years old but I'm a recreational drummer (no band, play for fun now) and it doesn't get a lot of moving around, packing/unpacking. The allen head screw for adjusting the lower hat angle threads through two nylon threads with a nut held between them, the newer design. The problem is the nut that is supposed to "lock" the adjustment in place doesn't seem to help and the screw backs itself out from playing all the time. Other Tama golks that have this hihat any ideas why the darn thing won't lock? It's about 3 yrs old gear wise.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Problem with Tama hihat adjustrment bolt/screw

I have an older Tama Road Pro stand - there is a captive nut on the allen screw held between the nylon threads (which appears to do nothing) but there is also a knurled locking mechanism which tightens the allen bolt and stops it backing off. I assumed that the tripod style Iron Cobra stand was essentially the same as the older Road Pro (but with additional adjustment on pre-tension/height of the footboard) - is yours missing a knurled adjuster?

User Info Menu

got no knurled well this pushes the lower hat upwards for your chip sound so the allen screw meets the lower hat. and yes the captive nut seems to be useless I expected it's supposed to tighten down at the bottom and lock the allen screw. FWIW

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wr_stix View Post
    got no knurled well this pushes the lower hat upwards for your chip sound so the allen screw meets the lower hat. and yes the captive nut seems to be useless I expected it's supposed to tighten down at the bottom and lock the allen screw. FWIW
    I'm wondering if you're missing the knurled adjuster? Took a screenshot of the Iron cobra PDF. Does it look like yours? Thanks....

User Info Menu

sorry for late but I work crazy hours like just a whole lot... k=no my stand has a fat allen screw. maybe it should have an adjuster..?

User Info Menu

Does it look like this?

20170826_001926 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

If so, the center nut is nothing more than a stabilizer that contains the screw.

I've never tightened mine but the thumb wheel to the left of the nut housing can tighten and secure the allen screw. I have never had to tighten mine and actually forgot it was there. You may also be able to tell that the screw is turned up almost half way. I have that face my playing hand so the lower cymbal tucks up under the top cymbal and it really cuts down on stick chipping.

Hope this helps. Other wise we may need pictures of yours.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bump, lol
    Signature here