Thread: Holding opposite side of drum stick

User Info Menu

Default Holding opposite side of drum stick

Any of you guys hit the drums with the opposite side of the sticks opposed to hitting them conventionally with the tips?
    I think the drums ( for rock) sound better that way. I know vinny appice does it thay way.
    Of course a shuffle beat or jazz beat would be used with the tips.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Holding opposite side of drum stick

quite a long time ago I actually had sticks that had NO tip on them..just rounded...used them quite a bit while playing rock and roll..not so good for Jazz or blues of course.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

I did for a short time with my left hand on the snare. Give me a big fat hit.

User Info Menu

I hold stick backwards, but only my left hand when I do the porcaro shuffle or anything like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I hold the stick backwards when I'm playing with guitar players who have their amps on "11". They can always be louder but they can't bury my rim shots.

User Info Menu

I hold my stick backwards for cowbelling! But only new sticks. Doing that with old sticks means I get splinters from previous rim shots.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Did that frequently back in the '60s & '70s for that monster back beat on the snare.

User Info Menu

Had some like that. I believe they were called "rock knockers" or some such thing.
    The boomy things:
    Mapex Orion Classic 6 pc, transparent violet burl
    The pingy/crashy things:
    K Custom Dark and K Darks
    K Sweet
    Meinl Byzance
    Silken Sebring and Avus
    Dream Bliss and Contact
    More cowbells than I have cows.
    The "quiet time" things:
    Zildjian L80 low volume cymbals
    Aquarian Super-Pads
    Roland TD9, Pintech drum triggers, Yamaha cymbal triggers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldNARDguy View Post
    Had some like that. I believe they were called "rock knockers" or some such thing.
    I use to buy those two and just use one at a time.

User Info Menu

There's no real reason to do this unless you're just a basher with little to no technique. When you turn the stick over, you'll lose the smaller tip, which is instrumental in picking up subtleties in your playing (rudiments, quieter notes, etc.).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    There's no real reason to do this unless you're just a basher with little to no technique. When you turn the stick over, you'll lose the smaller tip, which is instrumental in picking up subtleties in your playing (rudiments, quieter notes, etc.).
    Vinny and Carmine Appice use the butt end of the stick. I guess you could consider them bashers but in my opinion, they can both play with some subtleness especially Carmine during the days with Rod Stewart.

Vinny Appice

Carmine Appice

User Info Menu

ever seen Morgan Rose's sticks?! They are like logs!

User Info Menu

not only guys with killer moustaches do it too even skinny white kids

i think it was just more of a thing back then ...big snare sounds

User Info Menu

^HAHAHAHA Mickey Mouse shirt... classic Dave

User Info Menu

I'll flip my sticks around while I play and use both sides, mostly with the left hand and also switching between traditional and matched. It all depends what your playing but I use the butt end for big back beat stuff for sure.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Agree 100% on the cymbals, but on the drums themselves I have to say butt end is just one of the many colors on our palette. One need not be relegated to the ranks of the Neanderthal for using it though I cringe when I see guys playing their ride like a crash or with the other end of the stick.
    That said I rarely employ it anymore and usually it is in transition between rim click to conventional stick position or on toms while playing rim clicks on the snare ala Latin groove or a fill.

User Info Menu

Not since I was 15

User Info Menu

There's a lot of pros that used the opposite side of the stick. Hal Blaine shown here during a Beach Boys recording session for "Good Vibration" flipped the sticks around for the track:

Last edited by late8; 09-06-2017 at 11:45 AM.

User Info Menu

You do whatever you need to do to get the sound you want for a given song.

Buddy would play match grip with the butt end, especially on the tom's. I don't think that anybody would tell him that "he's doing it wrong".

I've heard (read) that Traditional grip is a thing of the past, yet, over a lot of years and talking to probably a thousand different drummers, if I had to pick the word's that I heard the most, it would be "I wish I could play Traditional grip".

It's drums. You are hitting things with other things to try to fit what you're playing into a song. How you arrive at the end of the song justifies the means you used to get there. Don't sweat the small poop. (Almost let the original word get through. I think Tom would have frowned upon that)

User Info Menu

I do, but exclusively when I'm playing reggae.
    - Zack