Thread: Total Solar Eclipse - Tips, fun facts, jokes, etc.

User Info Menu

Default Total Solar Eclipse - Tips, fun facts, jokes, etc.

Hey guys,
    Drum Bum threw this together and I'd thought I'd share. Some cool stuff about the eclipse.

http://store.drumbum.com/drums/solar-eclipse-2017.htm

User Info Menu

Default Re: Total Solar Eclipse - Tips, fun facts, jokes, etc.

I definitely giggled at the jokes lol

User Info Menu

Here's a few pics from the center of totality. The is the Homestead National Monument (where Bill Nye was speaking), which is about 3 miles outside of town. Estimates were 12,000 people there. I'd estimate another 12,000 visitors that were hanging out in town. It was a complete mad house in town today. Traffic was downright dangerous...as you can tell from the line cars in the pics;
    IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg

And this is what it was all about. It was rather cloudy...but still a pretty awesome experience. It got very dark for several minutes (almost like night, but not quite). It got eerily quiet and still; no birds singing and no traffic noise. After about a minute, crickets started chirping like they do at dusk. The complete silence was broken by the roar of crowds at the instant when totality was broken and the sun gave off an intense glittering effect like diamonds.
    IMG_0186.JPG
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Looks like it's going to pass pretty damn close to where I live.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Here's a few pics from the center of totality. The is the Homestead National Monument (where Bill Nye was speaking), which is about 3 miles outside of town. Estimates were 12,000 people there. I'd estimate another 12,000 visitors that were hanging out in town. It was a complete mad house in town today. Traffic was downright dangerous...as you can tell from the line cars in the pics;
    IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg

And this is what it was all about. It was rather cloudy...but still a pretty awesome experience. It got very dark for several minutes (almost like night, but not quite). It got eerily quiet and still; no birds singing and no traffic noise. After about a minute, crickets started chirping like they do at dusk. The complete silence was broken by the roar of crowds at the instant when totality was broken and the sun gave off an intense glittering effect like diamonds.
    IMG_0186.JPG
    Wow! Thanks for posting the pics...I totally missed it here.

User Info Menu

Great pics -- thank you.
    We had an 80% blockage here...................we learned one thing..................20% of the sun is still a bunch of energy.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

We got just a little bit. A little corner from the top of the sun. It got about as dark as a thin cloud passing over the sun.

User Info Menu

Nothing here in Ontario that I saw.

User Info Menu

It wasn't a total where I am, but I did manage to take a few pics without directly looking at it. We even made a little projector to show the sun pattern!

IMG_3248.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    It wasn't a total where I am, but I did manage to take a few pics without directly looking at it. We even made a little projector to show the sun pattern!
    That's cool Mike!

User Info Menu

Yeah was pretty cloudy here... but when the clouds went by a couple of guys had the solar glasses and it was pretty cool to see it happen.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    IMG_0184.jpg
    IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0186.JPG
    Here's how other cultures like the Vikings, viewed an eclipse. FulltiltBoggie
    http://http://news.nationalgeographi...space-science/

User Info Menu

It came by here but I was at my desk and quite busy. I could see it getting darker and darker from where i was and then it
    cleared up.

I had many people that asked me if I was going to watch it and I said, "no, the only thing I care about the sun is that It keeps coming up every morning." I wish I had a picture of the Idian girls that I said that too.....they were horrified I was saying that...hehehe
    Take care and seeya!

Jim