Thread: I'm throwing in the towel

User Info Menu

Default I'm throwing in the towel

on the double bass kit. I've been trying to get comfortable playing double bass again but due to newly discovered right shoulder pain, I can't seem to find the Holy Grail set up for my T-Rex body frame. The hats and the ride are too far apart from the center of the snare and I aggravated my right rotator cuff by trying to reach the ride. I've been woodshedding hard since the beginning of the year but to no avail have I come any closer to feel comfortable or confident by playing behind the set up pictured below.

Even if I use two rack toms, the hats and ride feel out of reach.

I find the same results when I use a double pedal.

I've forced myself to "get used to it" and I'm now dealing with the consequences of poor kit ergonomics and pain which was a poor choice on my part. I should of known better than to play in constant pain.

After reviewing my options, I'm going back to a one rack tom, single pedal and the ride over the kick and NO pain!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I'm throwing in the towel

I know exactly what you mean. I love playing double bass but my hi hats are just too far over. I even cut my driveshaft down but it only helped a bit. Have you tried switching the bass pedal and the hihat pedal around? Stewart Copeland does it and his set up looks very comfortable!

IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3300.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I know exactly what you mean. I love playing double bass but my hi hats are just too far over. I even cut my driveshaft down but it only helped a bit. Have you tried switching the bass pedal and the hihat pedal around? Stewart Copeland does it and his set up looks very comfortable!

IMG_3299.jpg
    IMG_3300.jpg
    Wow! Thanks for the pic! No, I haven't tried moving the pedals around. I find the distance too wide between any of the double pedal or double bass set up. At 5'9", my inseam is a mere 28" which makes for very short legs hence the T-Rex (long torso, short reach, short legs) reference. The typical double pedal/double bass set up has the second pedal exactly where my hihat pedal feels the best. I tried so many different variations of the double pedal/double bass set-up but can't seem to get passed the gap between hats and snare.

User Info Menu

Looking at your pics of the double bass setup, I'm amazed you (or anyone) can efficiently navigate it.
    I know you're a talented drummer; you can do everything you need to on a 4pc!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I didn't like double pedals at all until I found the right one.
    I played two bass drums long before double pedals were a possibility and, when they first arrived on the market, I didn't like them.
    Yes, the hats were uncomfortably too far away from the snare, but that was what I just had to live with.
    Double pedals have greatly evolved in quality and playability over the years, and now I love the fact that I carry around and tune only one bass drum.

Before you give up on the double pedal, try the position options mentioned above.
    Remember, with today's slave pedals, you don't even need the bass drum to be on your right foot.
    Also, don't forget stuff like the Sleishman Twin Pedal introduced here by our friend Johnny G.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Rich...................another thought................

Sleishman pedals and a remote hi hat.............or maybe conventional pedals and a remote hat.

Sleishman-Twin-Pedals-18[1].jpg
    Last edited by Ricardo; 08-29-2017 at 08:25 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Thanks for all of the advice Ricardo! Old school habits are hard to break and since I never took to the double pedal or double bass when I first started playing, it's a tough set up for me to get used to. By merely moving my right arm from the 12:00 o'clock position to the 3:00 o'clock position creates pain at the top of my rotator cuff as indicated by the blue arrows:

I also feel pain where the yellow area is highlighted in this pic. I feel pain in the front of my shoulder that radiates down the side of my arm and constant pain with overhead activities such as lifting or reaching. There’s pain when I’m trying to sleep on the affected side. There is weakness in my arm and I have difficulty with drumming activities. I need to go see my Dr. for an MRI.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks for all of the advice Ricardo! Old school habits are hard to break and since I never took to the double pedal or double bass when I first started playing, it's a tough set up for me to get used to. By merely moving my right arm from the 12:00 o'clock position to the 3:00 o'clock position creates pain at the top of my rotator cuff as indicated by the blue arrows:

I also feel pain where the yellow area is highlighted in this pic. I feel pain in the front of my shoulder that radiates down the side of my arm and constant pain with overhead activities such as lifting or reaching. There’s pain when I’m trying to sleep on the affected side. There is weakness in my arm and I have difficulty with drumming activities. I need to go see my Dr. for an MRI.

Do you think it is arthritis ?
    From old injuries ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I also have a friend who swaps his pedals. He thinks it's more comfortable.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Do you think it is arthritis ?
    From old injuries ?
    Old Youth Football injury and yes, arthritis has set in.

User Info Menu

So I was setting up my new Gretsch kit as a single kick and I realize I can't get it comfortable because I'm so use to double bass lol
    The complete opposite

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    So I was setting up my new Gretsch kit as a single kick and I realize I can't get it comfortable because I'm so use to double bass lol
    The complete opposite
    Well you ARE the Upper Midwest double bass drum beast master.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The complete opposite
    Sorry forgot to mention...

If you need to make it "double bass" I have a very nice good condition Pearl double pedal that is still for sale.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Better be a demon drive direct drive pedal \m/

User Info Menu

im just as quick with single pedal these days and i never play machine guns ..

i have it on my ekit just for a little bit of exercise and the kids like it .. but never play double kick live

User Info Menu

I wouldn't have the first clue how to utilize a double kick. I've never even sat behind a kit that had one.

User Info Menu

Better be a demon drive direct drive pedal \m/
    Well....I think....no and no...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    I wouldn't have the first clue how to utilize a double kick. I've never even sat behind a kit that had one.
    I would. I'd screw a piece of plywood to the top so I have a place to set my longneck and can of Skoal. Might even cut a hole in the top to drop the empty bottles into.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Back to basics....Set this up yesterday. Pearl TH88S tom holders have limited adjustability on the tilter. Messed around with a flat tom set up but played the rims too much. I might drop the second rack tom and use just one off set on a cymbal stand to get it lower.

Last edited by late8; 09-05-2017 at 10:10 AM.

User Info Menu

haha Rich I bet you'll last a week with that. I used that setup 30 years ago, it just looks funny coming from you and your rack creations.

hope your shoulder is improving
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    haha Rich I bet you'll last a week with that. I used that setup 30 years ago, it just looks funny coming from you and your rack creations.

hope your shoulder is improving
    Ha! You got me pegged! Thanks slinky!

User Info Menu

Ditched the Exports and tuned in the ergonomics I've been seeking:

Gretsch USA Custom in Ebony Clear lacquer

18x22" 8x12" 16x16" 6.5 x14"