Thread: Drumming and Hip Replacements

User Info Menu

Default Drumming and Hip Replacements

Is drumming bad for full hip replacements? Any wisdom here? Any folks in the forum that have discussed
    this with their doctors/surgeons? Any knowledgeable doctors in the forum?

As you might guess, I'm wondering if drumming might damage or shorten the lifespan of my
    hip replacement (i.e. in the way high impact exercise is discouraged)?

I will, of course, be running this question by the surgeon that did my hip replacement a few years ago.
    I'm returning to drumming after a long hiatus- and having a blast!!!

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drumming and Hip Replacements

Seems to me that if you play heel down, you shouldn't have any problems.

User Info Menu

Hi Headshrinker2. Welcome to the forum! I was given a book titled "Anatomy of Drumming" and there's a section that focused on throne height and how it relates to supporting the hips as we play. Although there's no "one size fits all" rule, according to this book, having the thighs slightly angled downward helps support the hips. I have a few compressed disks in my neck and lower back and I'm trying to avoid any discomfort when I play the drums. I had to rethink my entire set up after experiencing pain in my right rotator cuff due to poor drum ergonomics.

How are things going since the surgery?

Are you playing now or will you consult with your surgeon before going all out?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Seems to me that if you play heel down, you shouldn't have any problems.
    Hey Rick. I was wondering the same thing about heel down. I want to be able to safely use both (i.e. up and down). I'll report back to the forum when I get more feedback from the orthopedic surgeon.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Hi Headshrinker2. Welcome to the forum! I was given a book titled "Anatomy of Drumming" and there's a section that focused on throne height and how it relates to supporting the hips as we play. Although there's no "one size fits all" rule, according to this book, having the thighs slightly angled downward helps support the hips. I have a few compressed disks in my neck and lower back and I'm trying to avoid any discomfort when I play the drums. I had to rethink my entire set up after experiencing pain in my right rotator cuff due to poor drum ergonomics.

How are things going since the surgery?

Are you playing now or will you consult with your surgeon before going all out?

Thanks for the forum welcome! I appreciate the ideas and suggestions. The hip surgery a few years ago was, of course, not fun. But after some time out and physical therapy, I've been pain free. Pretty life changing, actually. As some in the forum might know, it is generally recommended to avoid high impact exercise after hip replacements. I'm finding out if drum set playing falls under this category. Artificial joints are mechanical and don't last forever. I am trying to explain to the surgeon's office what HH playing entails. It's pretty funny, they have no clue what I am talking about. I'm probably going to send him some youtube links to clarify.

Have you figured out how to play without pain? Pain definitely sucks...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by headshrinker2 View Post
    Have you figured out how to play without pain? Pain definitely sucks...
    Yes. I scaled back my kit to 1 up 1 down and I now have the ride over the kick. I figured out how far I can reach without pain and I have limited my range of motion for my right arm due to some strained tendons surrounding my rotator cuff. The area in red is where the pain starts.

I'm better off scaling the kit back even further and going with just two crash cymbals, ride and HH as pictured below:

User Info Menu

Heel up heel down is of no consequence. This is a non weight bearing activity and has no impact on the longevity of the hip implant components. What is important is that the musculature around the hip joint is strong (this should have been addressed during PT). Immediately post op, I would venture to say that drumming might not be the best idea as posterior dislocation could occur (unless of course the anterior surgical approach was utilized). You should certainly consult your surgeon as I am not one, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

User Info Menu

He's naked. Just sayin'.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Heel down is less movement of the upper leg. Heel up requires more movement of the upper leg.

I have also played with my seat at 27". My leg is at about 25-30 degrees down, which puts literally no weight on my ankle or knee, and if you have seen any of my videos, you will notice that my upper right leg hardly moves, which translates into no stress on my hip at all.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    You should certainly consult your surgeon as I am not one, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
    ...As I recall you're a retired prosthetist (defined by The American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics and Pedorthics: A person who measures, designs, fabricates, fits, or services a prosthesis) right?

User Info Menu

...As I recall you're a retired prosthetist (defined by The American Board for Certification in Orthotics, Prosthetics and Pedorthics: A person who measures, designs, fabricates, fits, or services a prosthesis) right?
    Retired? Ha ha, I wish. Actually, I'm a VP of Sales for a major orthopedic medical device manufacturer. Been at it for 30 years.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    He's naked. Just sayin'.

User Info Menu

He's naked. Just sayin'.
    Oh man that made my day
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Heel up heel down is of no consequence. This is a non weight bearing activity and has no impact on the longevity of the hip implant components. What is important is that the musculature around the hip joint is strong (this should have been addressed during PT). Immediately post op, I would venture to say that drumming might not be the best idea as posterior dislocation could occur (unless of course the anterior surgical approach was utilized). You should certainly consult your surgeon as I am not one, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.
    Thanks for the advice (and laugh). You are obviously knowledgeable about joint replacements! I am consulting with my surgeon. I'm a few years out of my surgery.

User Info Menu

He's naked. Just sayin'.