Thread: Getting Burned Out

User Info Menu

Default Getting Burned Out

My current band is destroying my desire to play drums and, quite possibly, my will to live. The music is great but they don't seem to realize we're a cover band playing local bars. Being at the venue 10 hours before show time to load in a kit 3x larger than I need just because "it's good eye candy", setting up a MASSIVE light show, then sitting around for two hours while they figure out what's wrong with the PA (or lights, or one the guitarists Axe Fx - it's always something). Don't get me wrong, I believe in putting on a good show, but staging an arena concert in a room built for 150 people is a little overkill. I'm so tired of it I've started playing guitar with a friend on his project.

Anyway, thanks for listening to an old man gripe.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Getting Burned Out

I don't blame you. That's a huge overkill for a weekend warrior project.

User Info Menu

I was feeling the same way with my last band.
    Pretty much 98% covers and the same show over and over just a different bar got so old so quick.

User Info Menu

I feel your pain.

I transitioned to a minimalist single pedal "profile" years ago for the same reason - too much trouble. I now play a minimalist kit that I don't even want to mic if I don't have to. For me at my age it's still a lot to haul around but us being drummers, it comes with the turf.

I keep my gigging kit in cases ready to go. It takes about 5 minutes or less to load 'em up in my trailer, 15 minutes or so to load 'em in and set 'em up, 15 minutes to tear 'em down and load 'em out, and 5 minutes to put 'em back in the house when I get back to the gig. Total load time = 40-45 minutes. It takes another 10 minutes or so when I add mics.

A couple of months ago, I downsized to the minimal drum sizes that I am willing to play, 8x12, 14x14, 14x22 with a 5x14 wood snare. Lately I've been using a Ludwig 400 because aluminum is lighter than wood Lol. The next step for me is to transition to drums having lighter shells like the Ludwig Legacy Classic Maple shells and use the lighter, single braced hardware for everything.

Fortunately, the band that I play in uses a small, compact PA for the smaller gigs and for the larger venues, they either provide the sound or we rent it.

I find that the best thing to avoid burnout is to do something different that aligns with how I feel about drumming as work. Maybe a change to a band with a smaller footprint might help.

Best of luck to you ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 09-01-2017 at 09:00 AM.

User Info Menu

Like you say know need for all that....less is more for a pub band we used to arrive set up sound check used to take about 30 mins....have been in a couple of Bands that go ott...but generally speaking been lucky

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    Being at the venue 10 hours before show time to load in a kit 3x larger than I need just because "it's good eye candy", setting up a MASSIVE light show, then sitting around for two hours while they figure out what's wrong with the PA (or lights, or one the guitarists Axe Fx - it's always something).
    I don't mind using an hour to set up my kit and then do a sound check -- but what you describe with all the lights, PA and sitting around................yuk !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I hear ya, brother!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I don't mind using an hour to set up my kit and then do a sound check -- but what you describe with all the lights, PA and sitting around................yuk !
    And that's really what it is - the giant light show, excessive PA and a bunch of small things like putting guitar stands in front of my bass drum. It's no longer fun. I'm not getting rich off this and I'll never be a rock star so if it isn't fun why am I doing it.

User Info Menu

Wow I can understand why you feel the way you do. But don't let them ruin the fun for you. I would talk to them and if that doesn't work I would get out. I'm no pro I'm just a guy thats been taking lessons for a year and playing as a hobby for fun. If it stopped being fun I wouldn't do it.

User Info Menu

Some of the stuff that goes on in my band is annoying...................but not as bad as your situation.
    I suppose all bands have some level of this discontent.
    The question you need to ask yourself is this:
    If we downsized the lights and sound, moved the guitar stands, etc., would that make the difference to keep me in the band ?
    Or is it really deep in the personalities of the musicians themselves ?
    What really needs to change to make it fun for you ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I'm always looking for ways to simplify and downsize everything from my kit to our bands PA. My Bop kit and a simple 800W, 8 channel input powered mixer (for vocals only) with (2) 12" mains and (2) 10" monitors. That's all we use for 99% of the gigs. I'm thinking of getting a Bose L1 system, just to eliminate the need for monitors.

Hands down, the most fun gigs we play are the acoustic ones. We set up in a semi-circle around 3 condenser mics. That's it. I play my beercrate Cajon, spoons, toe tambourine and occasionally a 6-string banjo. The change of sound and style is awesome and keeps things interesting.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Time to take a break. I stopped gigging for three years and now I'm itching to get back. Making homemade CD's is getting old...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Time to take a break. I stopped gigging for three years and now I'm itching to get back. Making homemade CD's is getting old...
    I'm at that point but had 6 months of gigging again. Trust me, it's not the same as it was before. Now it seems strained or "pressure to make it happen" instead of friends getting together, making some music and going out to play in front of an audience. The fun has gone.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

these ''live entertainment clubs'' should have all that already but so many dont want to make it or invest to make it an actual live club anymore. The mostly cover band places i use to live at had it down pat! with a good sound guy too. But that was the 80's

hate the sitting around part too.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm at that point but had 6 months of gigging again. Trust me, it's not the same as it was before. Now it seems strained or "pressure to make it happen" instead of friends getting together, making some music and going out to play in front of an audience. The fun has gone.
    Taking into account the statement I made above................yes, there are minor annoyances with my band-mates, but I have not experienced what you describe.
    I can see that I am fortunate to have "friends" that still know how to get together and make it fun and make attempts to keep the other problems at bay.
    Some of the practice sessions are a lot of work and even some intra-argument............we do have different degrees of quality-control and expectations in our music.
    But we always make the gigs "fun"..........................the fact that they are all really good musicians doesn't hurt either.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

UPDATE:

As Ricardo mentioned, the problems really stem from a personality conflict between me and the bassist. All the issues I brought up are created by him. He's also the vocalist and owns the PA so we've been pretty much captive to his whims. After he made a rather snide comment about my playing I'd had enough:

Me: "You know what? This has been fun but it's time for me to move on."
    Bassist: "Fine. Drummers like you are dime-a-dozen."
    Guitarist: "What? He's the best drummer I've ever played with. You're out of your F'ing mind if you think he can just be replaced. If he's out I'm out."

So the guitarist and I packed our gear and left. We already have another band with a better singer and bassist, and it's FUN again.
    Last edited by SuperFortress; 10-27-2017 at 06:08 AM.

User Info Menu

^that's great to hear!

User Info Menu

Touche!!!

User Info Menu

I'm loving the outcome here! Congratulations!

User Info Menu

Fantastic! Glad you guys walked. It has to be fun!!

User Info Menu

I'm not a young guy by no means, but I too lugged around a huge drum kit for the eye candy, but it got old fast tear down and setup were absolute nightmares. Put your foot down! show your band drummers like Matt Halpern & Luke Holland (modern drummers) Jojo Mayer those guys crush on those tiny kits. I used to play a 10 piece double bass kit (2) 2x22, 8x8,10x9,12x10, 16x16 & 18x16 completely loaded with cymbals I had 2 cars full of gear before I got my station wagon, Now I got a sweet maple 4 piece 13x4 brass piccolo snare, 12x12 tom and 22x20 bass drum and 16x16 1 china, 2 crashes 1 ride and one hihat and I'm done.

User Info Menu

If the band is good, all you need is someone out there with a flashlight and a peanut butter & jelly sandwich. Every couple of minutes have him/her flick the flashlight on and off a couple of times and there is your light show. That, of course, is if the band is good. If you need a trick light show, flashpots, smoke, and various other things, keep your day job.

User Info Menu

There's a local alt-rock band that plays a few of the same venues as my band. They're all excellent musicians and are pretty darn good. What gets me is all the stuff they bring to a show. Not so much amps and stuff, but stage show stuff.
    They set up a full overhead truss, hang curtains behind them and to the sides, set up a drum riser, use a full light show, lasers, fog machine....the whole 9 yards. It's cool, but a bit of an overkill for a small bar that holds 60 people. It takes up the regular stage and half the dance floor.

I'll admit, it makes for an awesome show, but I'm glad I don't have to spend all that time setting up and tearing down.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm suprised that the venues let you turn up that early for a gig....round our way you go on at 9.30pm do a 45 min set back on about 10.45 do about another hour including encores....the bar staff, punters would look at you gone out if you turned up to set up/ soundcheck before 7.30/7.45pm....the odd bands turn up earlier but tends to be frowned upon

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFortress View Post
    UPDATE:

As Ricardo mentioned, the problems really stem from a personality conflict between me and the bassist. All the issues I brought up are created by him. He's also the vocalist and owns the PA so we've been pretty much captive to his whims. After he made a rather snide comment about my playing I'd had enough:

Me: "You know what? This has been fun but it's time for me to move on."
    Bassist: "Fine. Drummers like you are dime-a-dozen."
    Guitarist: "What? He's the best drummer I've ever played with. You're out of your F'ing mind if you think he can just be replaced. If he's out I'm out."

So the guitarist and I packed our gear and left. We already have another band with a better singer and bassist, and it's FUN again.
    Good for you mate