Thread: DW Ultra Light snare stand Bites the dust

User Info Menu

Default DW Ultra Light snare stand Bites the dust

Had a gig last night starting at 7pm, I got to the venue at 5:30 and starting setting up. I opened up my hardware bag and pulled out my 7 month old snare stand and it was snapped right in half.. ARRRGGGGHHHHH Panic sets in. I don't pack a 2nd snare stand.

luckily I only live 20 minutes away so my wife grabbed one of my other snare stands and brought it at 6:30.

I did try duct taping it but as soon as I put my new DW 14 x 6.5 maple snare on it and it swayed badly and was very wobbly, there was no way I could trust that.

This stand is nice and light, a little wobbly but I can deal with it. It probably got pinched between a few of the heavier stands. I hope to get a refund but even if I do I will not rely on a lightweight stand of any sort again. Lesson learned.
    dw stand1.jpg

dw stand2.jpg

dw stand.jpg
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: DW Ultra Light snare stand Bites the dust

One of my biggest fears is setting up for a gig and having something like this happen. I always have a few spare parts but I don't carry extra stands, snare, etc.

User Info Menu

Yeah that's unfortunate and scary!

User Info Menu

Wow! Is this snare stand part of the DW6000 flat base series stands by any chance?

User Info Menu

I guess all brands can have a bad day.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Wow! Is this snare stand part of the DW6000 flat base series stands by any chance?
    Yes it is. I bought it in January. I just sent all the info to DW. Will let ya know if they warranty it or not. Was a decent stand but I wont trust a high end snare on it again. Especially a heavy Collectors maple.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Yes it is. I bought it in January. I just sent all the info to DW. Will let ya know if they warranty it or not. Was a decent stand but I wont trust a high end snare on it again. Especially a heavy Collectors maple.
    Good luck on this and thanks! I was looking into getting the complete hardware pack along with the carrying case but now that I've seen what could happen, I'm a little leery.

User Info Menu

I have the 6300 ultralight, it is decent but like I said a lil too wobbly with a 14 x 6.5 on it. I asked them if they do replace it if they would send me the regular 6300 instead of the ultralight. I cannot recommend the ultralight but if I get the regular one I will review that one as well.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I have the DW lightweight flat base cymbal and hi-hat stands. I bought the cymbal stands used, and so far, they've held up excellent. The coupling joints are significantly heavier duty than the "Ultralight" versions. I haul them around in my hardware bag, which still weighs around 80lbs total....thanks to my Gibraltar 9600 throne. That thing weighs more than my drums.

Can you buy a replacement joint from DW and fix the one you have?
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Tried one out at the local drum shop a few months ago and one of the springs popped out of the swing arms and flew across the store.
    Where it landed I have no idea.
    Ooops.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Never had a problem with the mechanics of it, springs and all work great. DW just sent me a brand new one after 8 months of ownership so at least they stand by their products I will give them props for that. It worked great and probably broke because 0f the way it was packed with my more robust hardware but I wont be gigging with it again. 20170915_181929.jpg
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Hats off to DW!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Awesome outcome! Thanks for the update!!