Thread: RIP Walter Brecker

User Info Menu

Default RIP Walter Brecker

Another great musician leaves us....RIP.
    Last edited by Stoney; 09-18-2017 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Walter Becker

User Info Menu

Default Re: RIP Walter Brecker

So young....RIP.

User Info Menu

Wow that's too bad.

User Info Menu

Statement from Donald Fagen:

Walter Becker was my friend, my writing partner and my bandmate since we met as students at Bard College in 1967. We started writing nutty little tunes on an upright piano in a small sitting room in the lobby of Ward Manor, a mouldering old mansion on the Hudson River that the college used as a dorm.

We liked a lot of the same things: jazz (from the twenties through the mid-sixties), W.C. Fields, the Marx Brothers, science fiction, Nabokov, Kurt Vonnegut, Thomas Berger, and Robert Altman films come to mind. Also soul music and Chicago blues.

Walter had a very rough childhood — I’ll spare you the details. Luckily, he was smart as a whip, an excellent guitarist and a great songwriter. He was cynical about human nature, including his own, and hysterically funny. Like a lot of kids from fractured families, he had the knack of creative mimicry, reading people’s hidden psychology and transforming what he saw into bubbly, incisive art. He used to write letters (never meant to be sent) in my wife Libby’s singular voice that made the three of us collapse with laughter.

His habits got the best of him by the end of the seventies, and we lost touch for a while. In the eighties, when I was putting together the NY Rock and Soul Review with Libby, we hooked up again, revived the Steely Dan concept and developed another terrific band.

I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band.

Donald Fagen

September 3 2017
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

RIP Walter Becker.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Statement from Donald Fagen:

Walter Becker was my friend, my writing partner and my bandmate since we met as students at Bard College in 1967. We started writing nutty little tunes on an upright piano in a small sitting room in the lobby of Ward Manor, a mouldering old mansion on the Hudson River that the college used as a dorm.

We liked a lot of the same things: jazz (from the twenties through the mid-sixties), W.C. Fields, the Marx Brothers, science fiction, Nabokov, Kurt Vonnegut, Thomas Berger, and Robert Altman films come to mind. Also soul music and Chicago blues.

Walter had a very rough childhood — I’ll spare you the details. Luckily, he was smart as a whip, an excellent guitarist and a great songwriter. He was cynical about human nature, including his own, and hysterically funny. Like a lot of kids from fractured families, he had the knack of creative mimicry, reading people’s hidden psychology and transforming what he saw into bubbly, incisive art. He used to write letters (never meant to be sent) in my wife Libby’s singular voice that made the three of us collapse with laughter.

His habits got the best of him by the end of the seventies, and we lost touch for a while. In the eighties, when I was putting together the NY Rock and Soul Review with Libby, we hooked up again, revived the Steely Dan concept and developed another terrific band.

I intend to keep the music we created together alive as long as I can with the Steely Dan band.

Donald Fagen

September 3 2017
    Thanks.....a good read

User Info Menu

Rip...

User Info Menu

Would be nice if his name could be corrected in the thread title... yes, a sardonic genius of diabolical proportions. The sound and depth of Steely Dan's records were the catalyst for my return to the world of vinyl last year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by newzealandpromoter View Post
    Would be nice if his name could be corrected in the thread title... yes, a sardonic genius of diabolical proportions. The sound and depth of Steely Dan's records were the catalyst for my return to the world of vinyl last year.
    My apologies should of read Walter Becker

User Info Menu

The Dan loved musicians. They hired the best and let them play. Aja is a pop drumming clinic.
    Life's too short to play the same solo twice. Improvise!