Thread: The Gibraltar rack didn't last long

User Info Menu

Default The Gibraltar rack didn't last long

I enjoyed it but after playing a few gigs and having to haul it in my SUV I decided to go back to using cymbal stands instead of the rack. Its easier to pack in and out. The rack looked cool, but it grew old quickly.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Gibraltar rack didn't last long

i'm waiting for the fold up kit that's suppose to be coming out soon. everything folds into the size of a briefcase
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I went from a rack to stands for home and gigs and I really like the change. I scaled back to a 1 up 1 down set up and use a cymbal stand to hang a 12" rack tom on it but as usual, the stand wobbles from a slight nudge which makes me extremely uncomfortable. Ricardo recently posted a clamp he uses made by Gibraltar, the SC-EA300 Flex Extension Arm which I now use to help stabilize top heavy stands but for stability, it's hard to beat a rack.

As a roadie for a local metal band, we usually have 15 minutes to set up and another 15 minutes to tear down between bands and with the amps backlined during the load in, the kit takes most of the set up time. Like you, we found that hauling a rack was a hassle, even in a trailer. Finding a place to stage the rack before the show was difficult.

User Info Menu

see with my kit though I felt the rack was best.
    With all the setup take down and the size of my kit the rack was consistent and quick for me.
    Now our band had a trailer and I had a large case everything fit in.
    Everything was labeled A,B,C,D... so anyone helping me could figure it out.
    I love the rack.
    But I get the headache for sure. I think any setup and tear down SUCKS!

User Info Menu

A very good drummer friend of mine uses a rack. He only plays a 5pc kit, but he has a ton of cymbals, bells & other percussion accessories. I can tear down my entire kit, pack it, load it, go up to the bar to drink a beer, flirt with the waitress....AND, make a trip to the restroom to get rid of the beer. All that in the time it takes him just to tear down & pack his kit.

When it comes to gigs, I'm a firm believer in "keep it simple".
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I enjoyed the rack, I just didnt have room for it and my wife both in my SUV. I get enjoyment from both the drums and my wife, but the wife tends to nag a bit more when she isn't happy, so I have to make sure she has room lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I enjoyed the rack, I just didnt have room for it and my wife both in my SUV. I get enjoyment from both the drums and my wife, but the wife tends to nag a bit more when she isn't happy, so I have to make sure she has room lol
    Ahhh...that makes sense.

Plus, people freak out when you disassemble your wife and stick the pieces in a black duffle bag...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm keeping simple by using the front part for toms and cymbals and whatever else. I change the shells and mounts for each kit and keep everything else the same.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I'm keeping simple by using the front part for toms and cymbals and whatever else. I change the shells and mounts for each kit and keep everything else the same.
    That's a sweet kit Doc! I've always been a fan of Mapex drums!

User Info Menu

yeah that mapex is sexy with that finish.

I like the idea of using the same setup just swap out the kits.