Thread: When you sit in and they throw in a song you've never played

User Info Menu

Default When you sit in and they throw in a song you've never played

That's always fun. Luckily I somewhat knew the song. The person recording didnt get the entire song, but they caught the end lol

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: When you sit in and they throw in a song you've never played

Nicely done!

User Info Menu

Nice! So the only version I know of this song was the 70's disco version. Was there an original version that was more like this?

User Info Menu

Nice pocket DrumWhipper! Highway 49 Band? Where are you located? We got a pretty popular Highway 49 in my neck of the woods up in the foothills of "Gold Country" in Nor Cal.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
    Nice! So the only version I know of this song was the 70's disco version. Was there an original version that was more like this?
    Yes, Eddie Floyd was the original artist:

User Info Menu

On Saturday I covered for a band and they threw in THREE songs I've never played.... oh the joys...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice pocket DrumWhipper! Highway 49 Band? Where are you located? We got a pretty popular Highway 49 in my neck of the woods up in the foothills of "Gold Country" in Nor Cal.
    Highway 49 is a stretch of highway in eastern Arkansas where the early blues legends made a lot of music. Robert Johnson, Big Bill Broonzy, BB King, Freddie King, etc are some of the more well known guys.

Additionally the one and only Levon Helm was born and raised along Highway 49 in Arkansas.

We have the King Biscuit Blues Festival next month in Helena, Arkansas. Most people will have to take Highway 49 to get there.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Highway 49 is a stretch of highway in eastern Arkansas where the early blues legends made a lot of music. Robert Johnson, Big Bill Broonzy, BB King, Freddie King, etc are some of the more well known guys.

Additionally the one and only Levon Helm was born and raised along Highway 49 in Arkansas.

We have the King Biscuit Blues Festival next month in Helena, Arkansas. Most people will have to take Highway 49 to get there.
    Thanks for that bit of info! I didn't realize how deep the blues roots were in Arkansas.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks for that bit of info! I didn't realize how deep the blues roots were in Arkansas.
    Robert Johnson's crossroads is at the 49/61 junction just across the river in Mississippi.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerboy2015 View Post
    Theres probably a good 15-20 versions of the song out there. Everyone from Wilson Pickett to Eric Clapton, Jeff Healey, and several others out there.

Type the song title into spotifyand watch how many pop up lol.

User Info Menu

In the '70's, I used to go to after hours jam sessions up in Harlem. If you got a chance to sit in, you would have 1 of the musicians come over to the drums and say "Give me a ting ta ting ting and snap his fingers to give you a tempo". After that, you were on your own.

You would know how well you did if they did or didn't ask you back. I was asked back, and it was a great lesson in improvisation.

DW, you did just fine. As a drummer you have to be prepared for anything.

User Info Menu

Played in combo's during my younger days and it was audience request ,look it up in the fake book and play.
    Polka ,rock ,R&B,country or whatever.
    Part of being a pro.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Oh yeah. I can fake it until I make it lol

User Info Menu

Nice job!

User Info Menu

Nice job, I have had both good and bad experiences when sitting in. I usually shy away from it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

One of my favorite things to do.....depending on the circumstances.

If the bass player knows the song, it's usually not much of a problem. Just play off his groove, listen to the chord pattern and you can usually anticipate the song structure.
    If the bass player doesn't know the song, it can be interesting, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham