Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bop Kit Decisions

User Info Menu

Default Bop Kit Decisions

Greetings everyone. Any suggestions on the following Bop Kits?

(1) New Gretsch Catalina Club, white marine pearl, 12/14/18 + snare $460
    (2) Used Gretsch Catalina Club, same finish and sizes as #1, kit looks slightly different
    than the new kit, upgraded heads $399
    (3) New Gretsch Catalina Club Limited, white marine ripple del mar, 12/14/20 + snare $499
    (3) Used Mapex Pro M Bop Kit 12/14/18 + snare, excellent condition $399
    Last edited by headshrinker2; 09-09-2017 at 08:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bop Kit Decisions

Quote Originally Posted by headshrinker2 View Post
    Greetings everyone. Any suggestions on the following Bop Kits?

(1) New Gretsch Catalina Club, white marine pearl, 12/14/18 + snare $460
    (2) Used Gretsch Catalina Club, same finish and sizes as #1, kit looks slightly different
    than the new kit, upgraded heads $399
    (3) New Gretsch Catalina Club Limited, white marine ripple del mar, 12/14/20 + snare $499
    (3) Used Mapex Pro M Bop Kit 12/14/18 + snare, excellent condition $399
    I don't know, I sure like the Mapex Pro Bop. I, myself have a Mapex Saturn and also a Gretsch Catalina Club 'Mini Mod' (Customized).
    Last edited by drummerMD; 09-10-2017 at 11:34 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. Do you prefer your Mapex kit over your Gretsch? If so, why? Also, what is the "mini mod" on your Catalina's?

User Info Menu

Thanks for the reply. Do you prefer your Mapex kit over your Gretsch? If so, why? Also, what is the "mini mod" on your Catalina's?
    I luv'em both! The 'Mini Mod' was in production for only a couple of years, then discontinued them.(see pics in Gretsch Thread P 119) Mine is the 'Black Widow. The other one was the 'Yellow Jacket' I think for the Gretsch, that's a good choice too. Something about that 30 deg. bearing edge Gretsch does.....has that 'Great Gretsch Sound!' I have 6 kits, can't part with any of them!LOL
    Last edited by drummerMD; 09-10-2017 at 04:53 PM.

User Info Menu

I'd go with option #2
    Save some money if it's in great shape.

I also like the smaller 18" kick vs the 20 when Bop'n

User Info Menu

#1- why? It's new...

User Info Menu

I think that you'd be happy with any of these choices. The 20" bass drum would be the most versatile though.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'd go with option #2
    Save some money if it's in great shape.

I also like the smaller 18" kick vs the 20 when Bop'n
    Thanks Spaz. I will definitely check out the used kit carefully.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I think that you'd be happy with any of these choices. The 20" bass drum would be the most versatile though.
    Thanks weezy. I'm sure you are right.. all of these kits would be great! I've read several people recommending a 20 over an 18 for versatility. Do you think a 20 BD would have enough oomph to kick a big band?

User Info Menu

For similar money, any folks think the maple of the used Mapex Pro M bop kit would be a better and more resonant
    sounding drum than the Catalinas?

User Info Menu

A 20 would give the oomph BUT... A 20 is starting to get bigger and heavier and close to being back to a standard 22" kick.
    If you want a smaller more compact kit for hauling around this will almost be back to the norm.

An 18 with the right heads and tuning can have just as much punch in the face as a 20 when setup properly.
    Obviously the most important question is "What are your goals with this kit?"

User Info Menu

For similar money, any folks think the maple of the used Mapex Pro M bop kit would be a better and more resonant
    sounding drum than the Catalinas?
    Any thoughts on this choice?

User Info Menu

They're all excellent kits. I guess it depends on what you're planning on doing with it. To me, a 12/14/20 kit is a jazz kit. "Bop" kit to me means 18" bass. FWIW, I use my Bop kit (10/13/18) for almost everything. I love the 18" bass...it's punchy but still has some low end. For a live gig, it actually cuts through the mix better than a 22" (un-micd). Same goes for the 10" & 13" toms. Throw some mics on the kit and it sounds like any other kit.
    Maple would be awesome, but in the small sizes, the Mahogany may sound "bigger". I don't think you can lose with any of the choices.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks weezy. I'm sure you are right.. all of these kits would be great! I've read several people recommending a 20 over an 18 for versatility. Do you think a 20 BD would have enough oomph to kick a big band?
    I think that you'd have to mic an 18 or 20 with a big band. 18's have lots of punch, but not as much low end or volume. As the diameter gets larger, you get more low end and volume but start to lose some of the tightness. This isn't set in stone, but is the general trend.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by weezy View Post
    I think that you'd have to mic an 18 or 20 with a big band. 18's have lots of punch, but not as much low end or volume. As the diameter gets larger, you get more low end and volume but start to lose some of the tightness. This isn't set in stone, but is the general trend.
    I think you're right. I was playing my 24 last night. Completely different animal than my 18 that I play back home.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. Very helpful.

User Info Menu

Or for $300.00 you could have this shell pack only....18X14 bass; 14X14 FT; 12X8 MT; 14X5.5 snare drum.

20160324_191108 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Just got in from seeing "The Dave King Trucking Co". Loved "The Bad Plus", this went to another level. He was playing Gretsch's. Sounded great, particularly the floor tom and snare. Wrote it off as being well tuned G's. Went up after to see how they were setup. They were Catalina's!!! Awesome! I'm a Gretsch snob, and they were some of the best sounding G's I've heard. Go with them. Unbelievable.....
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

I undoubtedly have a bias as well, but it would be the Gretsch all the way!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I'd go with either option 1 or 3 (I know nothing about the Mapex, so I can't comment on it).

If it was to be my only drum kit then the 20" bass would be my choice - kind of a 'one size fits all' decision and I'd go for option 3. But just like others have said if you specifically want a bop kit then option 1.

I'd pass on the used sets - no manufacturer warranty and asking over 85% of the price of a new model seems excessive.

User Info Menu

Very nice looking set! For $300, will you throw in all the cymbals, the rug, and help me swing more?

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Or for $300.00 you could have this shell pack only....18X14 bass; 14X14 FT; 12X8 MT; 14X5.5 snare drum.

20160324_191108 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

User Info Menu

Thanks crispy critters.

Quote Originally Posted by crispycritters View Post
    I'd go with either option 1 or 3 (I know nothing about the Mapex, so I can't comment on it).

If it was to be my only drum kit then the 20" bass would be my choice - kind of a 'one size fits all' decision and I'd go for option 3. But just like others have said if you specifically want a bop kit then option 1.

I'd pass on the used sets - no manufacturer warranty and asking over 85% of the price of a new model seems excessive.

User Info Menu

Nice! Any idea if they were Catalina Club or Maple? Did the 18" bass drum have enough oomph and low end with the mics?
    I'm assuming a good drummer will get the job done with style as long as the kit is even reasonably up to the job!!

Quote Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
    Just got in from seeing "The Dave King Trucking Co". Loved "The Bad Plus", this went to another level. He was playing Gretsch's. Sounded great, particularly the floor tom and snare. Wrote it off as being well tuned G's. Went up after to see how they were setup. They were Catalina's!!! Awesome! I'm a Gretsch snob, and they were some of the best sounding G's I've heard. Go with them. Unbelievable.....

User Info Menu

Question for you Gretsch gurus. When was the Catalina Club series last revised? Were these changes significant enough that I should consider the newer drums? I'm primarily interested if they were improved sonically. How to identify the newer drums?
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

They were Clubs. The bass was solid and slamming. I've had vintage and new Gretsch kits and I'd have to say I was very impressed. Had no idea until I went up to check them out after. They were the college's. He may have done some tuning.