Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's your preferred Drum Skins folks?

User Info Menu

Default What's your preferred Drum Skins folks?

Just wondering what folks preferred Drum heads/skins are and why? I know most of you on here are from the states so you'll probably have stuff that isn't in the UK
    Do you prefer different types for certain genre's of music....ie Rock, Blues, Metal, Funk ect.
    Thanks in advance

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's your preferred Drum Skins folks?

Really does not matter which brand you use. Most popular ones here are Remos, Evans and Aquarian. You should be comfortable to use 2 ply over 1 ply for just about any genre of music. Some like them clear or coated. I prefer Evans Clear EC2/ EC. I am sure you will more from other members to what they prefer or use.

User Info Menu

I tend to buy mostly Evans, specifically because the "360" design shoulder. Most of my old kits have shells that are slightly out-of-round, and the "360" does a much better job of fitting and tuning. On my new kits, I'll use Remo if they're on sale or if Evans are out of stock.

As far as head style, it depends on the kit. I like coated single ply on some and clear 2ply on others. I've given up on the pre-muffled heads like Pinstripes, EC2's and such. All my kits get played in live gig situations. I've found that the "wide open ring" tends to project better and sound fuller in the context of a band. If it's a small room or I'm using drum mics, I can easily fine-tune the sound with Moongel.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Really does not matter which brand you use. Most popular ones here are Remos, Evans and Aquarian. You should be comfortable to use 2 ply over 1 ply for just about any genre of music. Some like them clear or coated. I prefer Evans Clear EC2/ EC. I am sure you will more from other members to what they prefer or use.
    Totally agree with Pearl MCX Man,I'm a Evans guy myself,EC2's & EC clears.Coated Evans UV1's. Hmmm I live about 10 min. drive from Remo Headquarters........go figure!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Thanks for your reply....new to Drumming and I have an Electronic kit so just interested to hear folks views cheers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I tend to buy mostly Evans, specifically because the "360" design shoulder. Most of my old kits have shells that are slightly out-of-round, and the "360" does a much better job of fitting and tuning. On my new kits, I'll use Remo if they're on sale or if Evans are out of stock.

As far as head style, it depends on the kit. I like coated single ply on some and clear 2ply on others. I've given up on the pre-muffled heads like Pinstripes, EC2's and such. All my kits get played in live gig situations. I've found that the "wide open ring" tends to project better and sound fuller in the context of a band. If it's a small room or I'm using drum mics, I can easily fine-tune the sound with Moongel.
    Thanks for your reply some interesting pointers i'm new to Drumming and currently have an Electronic kit so interested to hear what folks use on their Acoustic kits

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Totally agree with Pearl MCX Man,I'm a Evans guy myself,EC2's & EC clears.Coated Evans UV1's. Hmmm I live about 10 min. drive from Remo Headquarters........go figure!
    Thankyou for your reply....ha,ha guess you're not a fan then

User Info Menu

I use G2/G1 clears on my main stage kit which is used for mostly modern rock/alternative. I used G2/G1 coated on my second kit which is used for pretty much everything. No muffling since they're played live. The clear heads are brighter and work well to bring out the toms. The coated heads add a little warmth to the tone.
    Last edited by SuperFortress; 09-11-2017 at 06:41 AM.

User Info Menu

Remo mostly but I do dabble in the other brands.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've played Evans now for quite a long time.

I use to play Remo but stopped liking the tones I was getting.
    I also tried some Aquarian but harder to get a hold of by me. Stores didn't keep a lot had to order everything.

User Info Menu

For outdoor festival gigs, I use clear 2-ply heads batter over 1 ply clear with no dampening. For indoor small venue gigs, I'll use a coated 2 ply batter over 1 ply clear. For recordings, I've had good luck with 2 ply hydraulics or 2 ply coated batters over 1 ply clear.

Snare drums:
    steel or brass: coated control sound
    wood snare: coated single ply
    acrylic: clear single ply

Bass drum(s): 22" diameter
    18" depth: control ring/2 ply clear batter
    16" depth: 2 ply clear batter
    14" depth: 2 ply coated batter

Preferred brands:
    '66 Ludwig - Aquarian
    Gretsch USA Custom - Remo
    DW Collectors- DW/Remo
    Pearl Exports- Evans

User Info Menu

Remo emperors on the toms, coated for the snare. No, I don't change them with the style. Same heads all the time.

User Info Menu

I like Aquarian and use them more than the other brands. I bought all new heads last week as a matter of fact. Focus X clears for the batters and Classic Clears for the resos except they didn't have the 13" Classic Clear so went with a DW single ply which has a very thin collar design.

Also added a coated 14" Hi Velocity for the snare. I'm set for awhile I hope.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I've found that I get my best sound with a 14" dia. log about 3' long. Tuning, of course, presents a problem. I usually wind up with a 16" dia. log about 4 1/2' to 5' long, and a 13" or 14" dia. log about 2' long. Cymbals and snare drums always present a problem. It's either wait for the bronze and brass age, or jump on my unicycle (1 wheel per person. Pi, 3.14 doesn't seem to work around here but cake, which requires calculus, does fine), and ride to Sam Ash's cave and buy a set of Zildjians and a wood snare (what else). To get the sound I want, I've found that with the 14" dia. log, if I shave the bark 1/2 off, I get good carry (doesn't need a mic) and good tone. The 16" log has all the bark left on and gives me that full sound with a lot of resonance. Sometimes I have to spit on it and stick a rock to muffle it a bit (no duct tape or moongel). The 13" or 14" I leave them alone as they carry well and usually bring the tribe down the block charging at us and we throw stones at each other for 30 minutes, have a 1/2 time, and do it for another 30 minutes. Which side has knocked the most people out, wins. (Cowboys 19, Giants 3, go Cowboys).

Seriously (did I say (write) seriously), must be scotch time. I've tried several different heads in the last few years and found that I probably will go back (and stay with) Evans G1's and G2's coated. I tried the G2 clear heads, and while I got a sound I really liked, when I turned the snares on, the snare buzz was terrible, and when I tried tuning it out, I wound up with the sound of the coated G2's. I had the frosted EC2's on and liked them, but I figured I would try the Ebony Ambassadors which look great on my drums but can't seem to get them where I want.

So, bottom line, I'll be going back to the Evans G1's and G2's with a Diplomat on the snare. I can get a sound I like with them and not use any muffling except for my popsicle stick under the snare head.

User Info Menu

Snare coated Evans G1 over Hazy 300, toms Evans G2 over G1 clear, kick batter Evans EQ3 clear. For toms and kick, I prefer the open lively sound of clear heads to the dampened warmth of coated.

I use the same setup for all styles and for all venues. When close micing, I use moongel to dampen the snare/toms. I always use a DW pillow in the kick. I do have multiple snares (wood, aluminum, brass) that I rotate depending upon venue but I use the same head combinations on all of them.
    Last edited by dangermoney; 09-11-2017 at 07:24 PM.

User Info Menu

While we're on the subject, I tried a Remo coated Ambassador X on my new 14x8 Ludwig Supralite. I think it was like a 14mil single ply. I must say, that was the worst sounding combo I've ever tried. Spent 2hrs trying to get a good sound, but failed. I finally installed a used Evans Genera HD that I had laying around. Instant improvement.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I always love the clear CS black dots and the clear pinstripes from Remo. Right now I have the ebony emperor X on the my rack toms and snare. They sound good too.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies guyz appreciate your imput, some interesting pointers

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    Thanks for the replies guyz appreciate your imput, some interesting pointers
    On behalf of myself, you're welcome Stoney. I've had a few kits set up side-by-side in different configurations, different woods, and my opinion reflects what I found works for those kits.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    I like Aquarian and use them more than the other brands. I bought all new heads last week as a matter of fact. Focus X clears for the batters and Classic Clears for the resos
    ^^^This...................on the practice house kit (cheapy Yamaha) I'm tossing the clear Emps and putting on new coated Aquarian Super 2s for the batters and Classic Clears for the resos.................I'm hoping it will warm them up a little.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    ^^^This...................on the practice house kit (cheapy Yamaha) I'm tossing the clear Emps and putting on new coated Aquarian Super 2s for the batters and Classic Clears for the resos.................I'm hoping it will warm them up a little.
    I had that combo on the Pork Pie Little Squealer kit with the 24" kick. Awesome combo!

The Aquarian heads were made so much better than the stock Remo UT heads. The flesh hoop on the Aquarian head was spot welded at the seam while the Remo was crimped.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    On behalf of myself, you're welcome Stoney. I've had a few kits set up side-by-side in different configurations, different woods, and my opinion reflects what I found works for those kits.

Wow....super set up you must be spoilt for choice at times. As i said earlier in my ad i'm just starting out on Drums at the grand old age of 56, been playing about 2 months now, i tried last year to get started with a very cheapo Acoustic Kit but was just to loud and I ended up packing up but missed it and felt i hadn't given myself a chance....so I took the plunge and traded my Bass and Guitar in for an Electronic kit and coming on a lot better now and enjoying it immensely and had my first lesson on Monday lol....i know at 56 it's way to old but i regret not starting years ago but if i can manage to get to gig standard i'll be over the moon...fingers crossed

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Stoney View Post
    i know at 56 it's way to old but i regret not starting years ago but if i can manage to get to gig standard i'll be over the moon...fingers crossed
    Nonsense! You're never too old to pick up drumming.

Let me take this opportunity to clarify my choices in answering your questions concerning head choices.

A majority of my gigs were "weekend warrior" outdoor festival events held on makeshift stages with an awning overhead. I found through trial and error from playing at these venues more than once of what worked the best for me and the sound guy.

I found the clear plastic heads were loud enough to project out from under the awning.

For the indoor small venue gigs, the coated heads and a small footprint was the ideal situation. My first gig at the venue pictured below, there was no stage and the kit was a few feet from the bartender's cash registrar. I was surrounded by hard surfaces and the kit was shoved in the corner next to a brick wall.

I had my Gretsch Renowns outfitted with clear EC2 batters and I had complaints from the bartender that I was too loud.

For the second gig at this particular venue, I brought in a 1 up 1 down kit with coated heads and I had no complaints from the bar staff. Bingo!

Last edited by late8; 09-13-2017 at 03:40 PM.

User Info Menu

continued...

At the venue pictured below, we were on a side of a hill facing a open field and the audience were sitting on hay bales. Again, from my experience playing under an awning, I chose the Gretsch kit with clear EC2 batters so I could be heard from the back row. We only had 4 mics on the kit: kick mic, snare mic, (1x) rack tom mic and (1x) overhead:

Here's the most challenging indoor gig I had to play. I was set up behind a pool table in a tiny bar with no dance floor. Again, I made the right choice. 1 up 1 down and coated heads:

User Info Menu

continued...

The Gretsch USA with clear Emps. were too loud the first time I played behind the pool table at this particular bar: