Thread: Picked up a new Drum Student (Video)

User Info Menu

Default Picked up a new Drum Student (Video)

I picked up a new drum student and finding it really challenging to teach him. He's playing along with me but struggling to get him to learn more challenging rudiments. I could use some advice on what I could do to get him further along. Here's a video of our progress so far:

Seriously, do you think a bird could ever be taught to mimic actual rhythms rather than just straight consecutive notes like in the video?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Picked up a new Drum Student (Video)

He's gonna get Whiplash lol.

User Info Menu

He needs to work on his stick control!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Tom, there are times when I seriously worry about you. I do like the Howdy Doody Signature snare drum.

Did you borrow the sticks from Spaz?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Seriously, do you think a bird could ever be taught to mimic actual rhythms rather than just straight consecutive notes like in the video?
    Yes, but I think a bird would feel a little intimidated knowing what the outcome could be if it didn't get onboard with the program. I think a little visual encouragement would be ideal...

User Info Menu

Looks like head to head competition.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Too funny
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.