Thread: Holy cow

User Info Menu

Default Holy cow

So I get contacted by a lady who wants to get her son drum lessons. I speak with her and she tells me that her son has never played, but she bought him a kit to practice on. The discussion goes on, and she keeps saying that she isn't sure if the kit she got is good enough, and that she is worried she didn't pay enough. I asked how much she paid, and she said over $2500. I asked what kind of kit it is. She said she didn't know, but would text me photos. Lo and behold she purchased her 14 year old son who has never played a brand spanking new DW kit. I've been playing for over 25 years and have only played a DW kit a handful of times, and this dude who has never so much as sat behind a kit gets one to learn on!
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Holy cow

Holy crap. Something tells me Mom isn't going to make her son pull some weeds to try to pay for the privilege of those drums LOL.

User Info Menu

I informed her she purchased one of the top of the line kits made today, and it blew her mind. Just going off of the conversation it seems she went to a music store and a salesman picked up that she didn't know much about drums, and convinced her that was what he needed to start out on.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Well, if he sticks with it and treats it well it should last him a very long time.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    So I get contacted by a lady who wants to get her son drum lessons. I speak with her and she tells me that her son has never played, but she bought him a kit to practice on. The discussion goes on, and she keeps saying that she isn't sure if the kit she got is good enough, and that she is worried she didn't pay enough. I asked how much she paid, and she said over $2500. I asked what kind of kit it is. She said she didn't know, but would text me photos. Lo and behold she purchased her 14 year old son who has never played a brand spanking new DW kit. I've been playing for over 25 years and have only played a DW kit a handful of times, and this dude who has never so much as sat behind a kit gets one to learn on!
    You got to encourage this kid to appreciate what he's got...chances are that he has very wealthy parents who didn't know better...let's hope the kid takes to it and learns...Unfortunately a lot of kids nowadays don't appreciate the value of money just hope it wasn't a waste of money for the sake of his parents....good luck with the lessons

User Info Menu

Holy crap is right... I was at a yard sale about 10 years ago and a little old lady was selling a black 5pc Pearl drumset w/ hardware and cymbals. I asked her how much she said $2000 for everything she paid over $2500 for everything. Everything was in great condition she bought it for her grandson and he had no or lost interest in the drums. Hardly ever played it. Not sure if the set was worth 2K but the only thing she could tell me was it was American made probably the pitch the salesman gave her.
    I hope the young man sticks with it and put that set to good use. I would hate to hear that he lost interest and be stuck with a $2500 drumset like that old lady trying to make some of her money back.

User Info Menu

Wow! I feel lucky that I was able to start my son and I off on a nice used Yamaha Stage Custom set. If that kid sticks with drumming, he will never need another kit! (not that he won't want another 1 or 12 lol).
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

and here a majority of my students don't have kits because their parents don't want to buy a drum set if they aren't going to pursue it. Well guess what your kid can't practice on thin air forever..... They complain about the $300 throw away kits lol

User Info Menu

I'm not saying I made this same mistake for my 13 year old son (11 at the time) but I bought him a $1,400 U.S.A made Fender Strat after he outgrew the $99 Squire 3/4 guitar I bought him the previous year. I could of settled for a $300-$400 off shore brand but he took his guitar lessons seriously enough for me to invest in something that could take him into adulthood.

After two years of weekly lessons, he gave up and the guitar now it sits in a case in his closet. He has no idea of the monetary value of the guitar but I hope as he reaches adulthood, the sentimental value will serve to remind him of me.

Drums are a different animal right? A kit is hard to store; a nuisance to non-drummers. As for buying a kid a $2,500 DW as a starter seems a bit extravagant to me. My first kit was a beat up used '66 Ludwig 3 piece that my dad helped me buy when he paid half ($175). But as the Fender Strat was my son's first real guitar, the '66 Ludwig was my first kit and I still play it after 35+ years of ownership and I think of my dad (RIP) every time I sit behind it.

I don't expect my son to be a musician nor do I push him towards the drums but as a well informed consumer, maybe in 20 years from now, the Strat may be worth more than $1,400?

User Info Menu

Is there any chance this woman would be willing to adopt me? I love my saturns and all, but I wouldn't mind having a DW too.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Must be performance series....................$2500 is too much for design and not enough for collectors.
    Lucky skunk !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

The mother has the kit at the store she purchased it from, and is speaking to management. She was told this was the cheapest kit she could buy, and not knowing anything about drumming, she bought it. I showed he otherwise, and it ticked her off that the salesman took advantage of her lack of knowledge, and convinced her to get the DW kit when she could purchase her son a beginner kit to learn on and see if he wants to keep doing it. She told me that she was told she couldn't get a kit cheaper than the DW kit she bought. Imagine the look on her face when I told her I have less than $1500 in my entire kit, then showed her the online site to another local store where she can get a five piece Mapex with hi hats, two crash cymbals, a ride cymbal, and a throne for $750.

User Info Menu

The mother has the kit at the store she purchased it from, and is speaking to management. She was told this was the cheapest kit she could buy, and not knowing anything about drumming, she bought it. I showed her otherwise, and it ticked her off that the salesman took advantage of her lack of knowledge, and convinced her to get the DW kit when she could purchase her son a beginner kit to learn on and see if he wants to keep doing it. She told me that she was told she couldn't get a kit cheaper than the DW kit she bought.
    Question: Did this happen at the GC in your capitol city ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Question: Did this happen at the GC in your capitol city ?
    It did. She was even more upset when I pointed out that they have used kits as low as $200 on the floor...

User Info Menu

Well I don't think you can fault the store for recognizing a "sale" when you see one. I give the salesperson credit for digging into deep pockets and succeeding. Buyer beware.

I believe she does have a 14 day return policy if she's not happy.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

The mother has the kit at the store she purchased it from, and is speaking to management. She was told this was the cheapest kit she could buy, and not knowing anything about drumming, she bought it. I showed he otherwise, and it ticked her off that the salesman took advantage of her lack of knowledge, and convinced her to get the DW kit when she could purchase her son a beginner kit to learn on and see if he wants to keep doing it. She told me that she was told she couldn't get a kit cheaper than the DW kit she bought. Imagine the look on her face when I told her I have less than $1500 in my entire kit, then showed her the online site to another local store where she can get a five piece Mapex with hi hats, two crash cymbals, a ride cymbal, and a throne for $750.
    Oh okay...now it's starting to make sense. Mom had no clue what she was getting.

User Info Menu

Is mom wealthy? For most people, 2500 is a pretty hefty chunk of change and often sacrifices are made in other areas to fund such a non essential purchase. Probably better to hang on to them (depreciation is a killer) , ride out the son's drumming aspirations, then decide what to do.
    Hopefully the son appreciates what he's got there.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 09-16-2017 at 09:16 AM.

User Info Menu

Yep. She got "duped". We don't know for sure what the conversation was between them, but it sure sounds like she was taken advantage of. That Sales person would be looking for a new job if I was the manager. It doesn't take skill to take advantage of someone, just a lack of integrity.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Would love to know if that kid is still playing drums, say, 10-15 years from now....