Thread: Stumbled Upon an Early American K 22" Ride

User Info Menu

Default Stumbled Upon an Early American K 22" Ride

over the weekend that I had the pleasure of adding to my arsenal and I'd like to share a few pictures.

The Early American K cymbals (EAK) were produced at the Avedis Zildjian factory in Norwell, Massachusetts, after the company won the rights to the “K Zildjian” brand.

Some in the cymbal industry say EAK cymbals, made from 1979-1981, are distinguished by a large K on the front and back of the cymbal, the missing "R" for "Registrar-ed trademark" next to the "K" and the random hammer marks on the bell.

For a few years, they produced hand-hammered cymbals but some believe after 1981, the process was no longer done by hand but instead with automation.

This ride reminds of the big band era sound with a roar and a wash that rings forever.

Some collectors believe the distinguishing characteristic of the EAK is the K stamped on the back. They say cymbals produced after 1981 have "Zildjian" inked across the bottom instead of the letter "K".

The block style inked font is reminiscent of the EAK line.

My first impression of the Zildjian 22" EAK ride is that it's loud and washy and it builds up to a huge roar when hammered. It's relatively thin and has great stick action for articulating double strokes.

It may be a bit to washy to use as a crash for my taste but I can certainly hear it being used as one.

Here's how I got the EAK 22" ride set up:

Gretsch USA Custom- 18x22, 8x12, 16x16, 6.5x14

14" K Custom Dark hats
    16" K Custom Dark crash
    18" K Custom Dark crash

Last edited by late8; 09-19-2017 at 12:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stumbled Upon an Early American K 22" Ride

Looks awesome! very nice setup
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

I bet that's just beautiful in person!
    Great addition and pick up!

My band teacher had one I tried buying all through college. Had the K front and back and sounded like a dream come true for Jazz.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vlopez1130 View Post
    Looks awesome! very nice setup
    Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I bet that's just beautiful in person!
    Great addition and pick up!

My band teacher had one I tried buying all through college. Had the K front and back and sounded like a dream come true for Jazz.
    It's a really jazzy ride. Loud and washy!