Thread: Age, Heredity & Lifestyle

User Info Menu

Default Age, Heredity & Lifestyle

It's catching up with me

Anyone else suffer from acute diverticulitis attacks? It started on Monday, and by Tuesday night I could barely move, ride in a car or walk. After a regular lunch on Tuesday, I put myself on an all clear liquid diet. Nothing but fruit juice and broth. My system was still "cleaning itself out" on Friday morning. Last night, I ate one piece of buttered toast. That was my first solid food since Tuesday noon. I feel almost normal now, but I'm not sure how to start back on regular food and what stuff to avoid. One thing I know; it's time to watch what I put in my body.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Age, Heredity & Lifestyle

My mother in-law suffers from that and her doctor ( Kiaser) told her to stay away from corn. She still eats it but not a whole lot.

User Info Menu

Well....I live in Nebraska. That's like telling a Polar Bear to avoid snow.

But actually, I've heard that too. Lots of info on the Internet about too much fatty food, lack of fiber and avoiding stuff like nuts, seeds, popcorn, whole corn, etc..
    I love fresh veggies and fruit, but I read that fruit skins and potato skins are a bad idea. I guess veggies should be cooked. The last year I worked over-the-road sales...lots of fast food, business lunches and riding in a car. I'm sure that didn't help. I do walk several miles per day, but it got to where it was "uncomfortable" to walk very far due to irritable bowels and cramps.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Stick around, corn will be back on the + side again. I remember the up and down ride with eggs. They went from good to bad overnight, back when there were 4 doctors and 0 normal people who knew what cholesterol was.

The same went for coffee, don't drink it, the caffeine will make you psychotic. Now, coffee is good for you. 4-5 cups a day give you a lot of benefits that would surprise you.

Tonight, pizza with onions and peppers and a beer. It may not be good for the body, but, it definitely is good for the soul.

User Info Menu

The two most perfect foods ever created...hamburger...pizza

all the best...

User Info Menu

Oh man...sorry to hear about the diverticulitis attacks. I hope you get back to feeling better Brian!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Tonight, pizza with onions and peppers and a beer.
    A meatless pizza? Night out with the girls?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    A meatless pizza? Night out with the girls?
    Pepperoni gives me more heartburn than onions and peppers, go figure.

Night out with the girls? Why not, I have 6, how many do you have?

User Info Menu

So sorry to hear this. I have a vivid memory of my dad in tears when I was young. He had that and said it was some of the worst pain he had experienced. Yea, stay away from the small seeds and nuts and stuff that can get stuck.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys. I'm feeling much better now, but last week was a struggle.

On Tuesday I booked a last-minute gig for Friday night, praying I would feel well enough to play. I had to get everything set up on Thursday night so it was ready to go after work on Friday. No one else could help load....so.....the drummer *me* (who was suffering from diverticulitis and could barely walk) ended up loading equipment, driving 35 miles in a 1-ton truck, unloading everything and setting up. To make it worse, our lead singer then had a mild siezure on Friday AM and I had to cancel on Friday afternoon. I found another band (good friends of ours) to cover for us at the last minute and let them use our equipment...because I couldn't leave work to go tear our stuff down and make room for their stuff in time. So, I went to the gig anyway...to watch another band play the gig I booked....using our equipment....and then tear it all down and load out when they were done so I could take it home. And I didn't make a dime off the gig. In fact, it cost me $40 in gas, LOL.

On the bright side, I had a complete blast listening to another band for a change. I sat in on several songs as well. The bar owner was very appreciative that I handled the situation and found a replacement band. Now he just booked us again for this coming Saturday night, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Night out with the girls? Why not, I have 6, how many do you have?
    4 if you count the dog.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    4 if you count the dog.
    Do you know which 1 is the dog? That could prove to be very important on a dark night.

User Info Menu

I can always tell. I just slowly reach out and touch her. If I don't get bit, it's my dog.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Decades ago, I would slowly reach out and touch her. If I got bit, it was my wife. If I DIDN'T get bit, I was in the wrong house.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Thanks guys. I'm feeling much better now, but last week was a struggle.

On Tuesday I booked a last-minute gig for Friday night, praying I would feel well enough to play. I had to get everything set up on Thursday night so it was ready to go after work on Friday. No one else could help load....so.....the drummer *me* (who was suffering from diverticulitis and could barely walk) ended up loading equipment, driving 35 miles in a 1-ton truck, unloading everything and setting up. To make it worse, our lead singer then had a mild siezure on Friday AM and I had to cancel on Friday afternoon. I found another band (good friends of ours) to cover for us at the last minute and let them use our equipment...because I couldn't leave work to go tear our stuff down and make room for their stuff in time. So, I went to the gig anyway...to watch another band play the gig I booked....using our equipment....and then tear it all down and load out when they were done so I could take it home. And I didn't make a dime off the gig. In fact, it cost me $40 in gas, LOL.

On the bright side, I had a complete blast listening to another band for a change. I sat in on several songs as well. The bar owner was very appreciative that I handled the situation and found a replacement band. Now he just booked us again for this coming Saturday night, LOL.
    Wow! Now that's a dedicated musician! I'm glad you're feeling better.

User Info Menu

Thanks, Rich! What you call dedication, my wife calls "lack of common sense", LOL.

I try to treat booking gigs as a business. I do what I have to, consider bar owners as business partners and try to go above and beyond to take care of them. We now get calls for bookings and I rarely go out and solicit. The more we play, the more calls I get from new places. Bigger gigs, better music venues...it just keeps improving. We're a decent band (not great), but we are unique, and a certain segment of people appreciate that. However, I don't think the other guys in the band always realize how much I do off-stage and the role it's played in our growth. Honestly, I'd say 80% of it has been marketing/sales/relations.

This weekend, we're playing in two of the best live music venues in the area. Friday night we're opening up for a national recording artist (albeit a little known one). Saturday night is at a place that has 23 other bands on a waiting list...the place in my above story.

I've tried to get booked in there for 3yrs. A year ago, I cold called on a small local bar that doesn't typically have live music. They were in need of a band to host a local veteran biker charity rally and had a limited budget. I shot them a "special price". The guys in the band thought I was crazy, but I told them to trust me. The bikers loved us. I asked them if I could use THEM as a charity for OUR annual multi-band jam....and they booked us again for this years rally...which was held at a different venue...which just happens to be owned by the same guy that owns the place with the "waiting list". He was there, heard us and liked us. Last week he had a band cancel and called me at the last minute. I booked it and then had to cancel due to sickness......(the whole above story). Now he booked us for this Saturday.

The bottom line is; even though we're a decent band, we would have never got past the 23 other bands on the waiting list (most all of them better than us), if it wasn't for a little luck, "creative networking" and putting in the extra effort. No to mention getting a second chance after having to cancel last weekend. Now all I have to do is figure out how to actually make money off gigs, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Thanks, Rich! What you call dedication, my wife calls "lack of common sense", LOL.

I try to treat booking gigs as a business. I do what I have to, consider bar owners as business partners and try to go above and beyond to take care of them. We now get calls for bookings and I rarely go out and solicit. The more we play, the more calls I get from new places. Bigger gigs, better music venues...it just keeps improving. We're a decent band (not great), but we are unique, and a certain segment of people appreciate that. However, I don't think the other guys in the band always realize how much I do off-stage and the role it's played in our growth. Honestly, I'd say 80% of it has been marketing/sales/relations.

This weekend, we're playing in two of the best live music venues in the area. Friday night we're opening up for a national recording artist (albeit a little known one). Saturday night is at a place that has 23 other bands on a waiting list...the place in my above story.

I've tried to get booked in there for 3yrs. A year ago, I cold called on a small local bar that doesn't typically have live music. They were in need of a band to host a local veteran biker charity rally and had a limited budget. I shot them a "special price". The guys in the band thought I was crazy, but I told them to trust me. The bikers loved us. I asked them if I could use THEM as a charity for OUR annual multi-band jam....and they booked us again for this years rally...which was held at a different venue...which just happens to be owned by the same guy that owns the place with the "waiting list". He was there, heard us and liked us. Last week he had a band cancel and called me at the last minute. I booked it and then had to cancel due to sickness......(the whole above story). Now he booked us for this Saturday.

The bottom line is; even though we're a decent band, we would have never got past the 23 other bands on the waiting list (most all of them better than us), if it wasn't for a little luck, "creative networking" and putting in the extra effort. No to mention getting a second chance after having to cancel last weekend. Now all I have to do is figure out how to actually make money off gigs, LOL.
    Holy cow Brian! You've been busy! I'm very impressed with your work ethic! I wish there were more guys like you out here but it's all "pay to play" and it sucks! The better venues in Sacramento book the national acts but make the locals pay to open. If you want any exposure, it's gonna cost lot in ticket sales.

User Info Menu

" What you call dedication, my wife calls "lack of common sense", LOL."

Brian, your wife is 100% correct. Of all the instruments that are out there to play beautiful music on, piano, guitar (classical), sax, etc., we play these things called drums that require that we hit them in time with the music. Give us 2 sticks and we will play on anything from our legs, a chair, a table top, any person standing too close to us, and the dog, if it would stay still, so anything that we had that even remotely resembled common sense went out the window a long time ago. Plus we get GAS like no other people do, just ask Bish.