Thread: Attended a Russ Miller drum clinic last night

User Info Menu

Default Attended a Russ Miller drum clinic last night

My wife and I attended a Russ Miller drum clinic last night and had a blast. I ended up winning a Mapex snare drum at the end of the clinic I had Russ sign the shell and the head. Today I went to my favorite local shop and put a substantial down payment on the Mapex Saturn kit he used for the clinic. Needless to. say I'm a happy camper and yes I got a good deal!
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Attended a Russ Miller drum clinic last night

That's awesome! I don't think I've ever won anything. Yea, Russ is a good drummer. I've never been to one of his clinics.

User Info Menu

For experienced and established drummers it may not offer much, but for somebody like myself with little more than a year of playing his lecturing on dynamics is valuable. The ability to hear a world class drummer play without other instruments in the mix is a lesson on its own. If you listen, not just hear you learn a lot.
    Last edited by vlopez1130; 09-30-2017 at 09:28 AM.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

"Listen, not just hear" ... what a concept!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vlopez1130 View Post
    For experienced and established drummers it may not offer much, but for somebody like myself with little more than a year of playing his lecturing on dynamics is valuable. The ability to hear a world class drummer play without other instruments in the mix is a lesson on its own. If you listen, not just hear you learn a lot.
    Nice one i have only been playing a few months myself but was a singer/frontman for several local cover bands...i remember many moons ago going to a drum clinic and Brian Downey ex Thin Lizzy was on the chair he was awsome...i just wish i had started years ago because at 56 a bit long in the tooth lol...best of luck and glad you had a great time at the clinic

User Info Menu

Stoney the only drawback I have found is that my hands are not as fast as some young kids starting out. My practice is probably 80% on the pad and 20% on my kit. But my understanding of of music and it's concepts like dynamics is much better than the average teenager. I work on my hands a lot and may never have the speed but I'm confident I can't develop into a tasteful player as my knowledge base grows. I take a 1 hour weekly lesson with a great teacher and spend more time listening to great drummers than I do watching TV etc. As a matter of fact I really don't watch TV much anymore Youtube is my friend for research. I'm almost 45 And I think in another 2 or 3 years I can be good enough for some jamming with friends maybe even some small little gigs here and there. I am also fully aware that the late start in life will never allow me to become an incredible drummer but I never got into this to become a superstar I have always played music for personal enjoyment. I played trumpet, conga and bongo for a long time but I needed to fulfill my desire to play classic rock and some jazz so I took up the drums and they have taken over me. I have put things in perspective in my life and I prioritize from my responsibilities down to my own time to enjoy life and drums are my daily escape even if its only and hour or less. enjoy the ride and make sure it doesn't stop being fun for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vlopez1130 View Post
    Stoney the only drawback I have found is that my hands are not as fast as some young kids starting out. My practice is probably 80% on the pad and 20% on my kit. But my understanding of of music and it's concepts like dynamics is much better than the average teenager. I work on my hands a lot and may never have the speed but I'm confident I can't develop into a tasteful player as my knowledge base grows. I take a 1 hour weekly lesson with a great teacher and spend more time listening to great drummers than I do watching TV etc. As a matter of fact I really don't watch TV much anymore Youtube is my friend for research. I'm almost 45 And I think in another 2 or 3 years I can be good enough for some jamming with friends maybe even some small little gigs here and there. I am also fully aware that the late start in life will never allow me to become an incredible drummer but I never got into this to become a superstar I have always played music for personal enjoyment. I played trumpet, conga and bongo for a long time but I needed to fulfill my desire to play classic rock and some jazz so I took up the drums and they have taken over me. I have put things in perspective in my life and I prioritize from my responsibilities down to my own time to enjoy life and drums are my daily escape even if its only and hour or less. enjoy the ride and make sure it doesn't stop being fun for you.
    Ditto i have always fancied giving the Drums a bash...excuse the pun....played Bass and Guitar and mostly Singer in local cover bands but like you i have enjoyed the Drum immensely since starting in July this year...don't have any aspirations but to hopefully get good enough to join a local covers Band in the future practice limited at moment because we have a family crisis and 3 g'kids living with us permanently so very limited time wise

User Info Menu

I can understand that sometimes if you keep things simple and do it for fun instead of being forced to it because of rehearsals etc they stay fun.