Thread: Tom Petty has passed away

User Info Menu

Default Tom Petty has passed away

Rocker Tom Petty has passed away following a heart attack according to multiple news sources.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tom Petty has passed away

Just saw this on the news. Very unexpected. I saw him a couple of years ago. Best concert i’ve ever been to! It’s a sad day. Rest In Peace Tom.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I just came online to post this...

66 years old Cardiac Arrest.... sad day for sure

User Info Menu

RIP Tom, you were a good man.

User Info Menu

RIP Tom... your music will live on forever
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

RIP Tom Petty...you were my hero!

User Info Menu

RIP. One of my all time favorites.

User Info Menu

the news is still unclear. Apparently stories have changed that he’s still clinging to life! Please pull through Tom!
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 10-02-2017 at 05:56 PM.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I was stunned to hear this. Tom Petty was a true musician in every way. Another great one gone.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    the news is still unclear. Apparently stories have changed that he’s still clinging to life! Please pull through Tom!
    It’s official now. He has left us

-Mike

User Info Menu

Rip....another sad loss

User Info Menu

Tom Petty's music (as many here) was influential when i was starting out playing drums. American Girl is one of my favorites. I liked Stan Lynch's style it fit just right.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Sad news I really enjoyed his music
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

RIP. Tremendous talent and did a lot for the industry.

User Info Menu

He did it his own way.
    When Petty first started out, I thought he sounded like a Roger McGuinn (Byrds) wannabee.
    But over his many years and achievements, he developed his own sound and his own path.
    Except for the friction with Stan Lynch, a lot went well for the Heartbreakers.
    RIP.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I was lucky enough to see him several times. He'll be missed.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Probably the best song writer of my time. So sorry I never got to see him live. If you've never seen the documentary running down a dream I highly recommend it. It is on netflix now and is really good.
    Last edited by MDK; 10-03-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

RIP Tom, truly a legend.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I never cared for his music when I was younger. After I was in my 20's, it really grew on me. One of my favorites now. He definitely had his own style...which became more pronounced as he matured. His songs were always a staple of garage bands. Not terribly complicated, reasonable vocal range and popular with crowds. I've yet to meet a guitar player that didn't know at least a couple of his songs. We still do a cover of Last Dance with Mary Jane (many bands do), but we throw in some mandolin and harmonica. His music reminds me of John Mellencamp....it lends itself to the "Americana" sound.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I never cared for his music when I was younger. After I was in my 20's, it really grew on me. One of my favorites now. He definitely had his own style...which became more pronounced as he matured. His songs were always a staple of garage bands. Not terribly complicated, reasonable vocal range and popular with crowds. I've yet to meet a guitar player that didn't know at least a couple of his songs. We still do a cover of Last Dance with Mary Jane (many bands do), but we throw in some mandolin and harmonica. His music reminds me of John Mellencamp....it lends itself to the "Americana" sound.
    I love Mary Jane. It was the second song he played when I saw him.

-Mike

User Info Menu

yeah I've played several Tom Petty songs in bands over the years.

I even use his songs now for teaching students

User Info Menu

I so want my band to do this song...Wonder why this one never made it as big as a lot of others he did. Can you guess the fill in drummer on this one
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

^^^Thats a cool song. I'm guessing it's just too much of a blues/rock and too slow/hard to make it big. Just not a "happy" enough chord progression or fast enough tempo to make it on the "pop" charts???
    Personally, I like it. Would be super fun to play.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

So Tom was reported as deceased several hours before he actually passed. I guess you can stand him up at the gates of hell and he won't back down...
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals