Thread: Black Panther

User Info Menu

Default Black Panther

After having a Black Panther for a couple of days, I have tried different heads, from the stock head to a Diplomat, a Jack DeJohnette , and a Evans.

Getting it to sound good isn't the problem. My "problem" with it is getting past all the hoopla that comes with things like this. I messed with the tuning for quite a few hours over the last couple of days (1 thing that I'm sure that all of the experienced drummers know, but maybe new players don't, is that when tuning drums, especially the snare, the ear tends to adapt and tone down the harsh sound of a snare drum. That was a lesson that I learned almost 60 years ago)

Anyway, when tuning the Panther, I messed with it for 10-15 minutes, went upstairs to have a soda or some coffee, then went back to it 20 minutes later and it sounds a little bit different, a bit "crisper".

Bottom Line: Is it a good snare? Oh hell yeah. Solid, well put together, got to love the strainer. I put it side by side with my Black Beauty, messed with the tuning, and got literally the exact same sound from both drums. The Panther is steel, the BB, brass. That tells me that you don't have to pay a few hundred more for a brass 1. So if you want 1, go buy 1. You will be happy with it, but, seriously, I wouldn't spend more money to have the brass 1 past the point of saying that you have the brass 1. Is it the be all, end all, of snare drums, no, it's not, but neither is the BB.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Panther

at first when reading this I thought you were having issues tuning and you were going to get aggravated and sell it to me cheap.

Yeah they are super impressive snare drums for sure! A great Bang for the buck.

User Info Menu

Well put. I've experienced the same issues while tuning many drums....and seasoning a pot of Chili too. After so long, your senses adapt. You have to walk away and come back to it to keep your prospective "fresh".
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I picked up a maple Black Panther along with my Saturns and let me tell you Mapex makes awesome snares.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vlopez1130 View Post
    I picked up a maple Black Panther along with my Saturns and let me tell you Mapex makes awesome snares.
    All the name companies make very good snares if you are willing to pay for them.

User Info Menu

I agree with you. Things are good now maybe too good with too many choices
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Gimme the the Black Beauty!

all the best...

User Info Menu

I've noticed a similar ear adaptation or fatigue when cymbal shopping. I'm 66 and my ears have gone downhill in general, especially lately. I feel like the highs are muted the most. While sampling cymbals last time I was shopping for a splash and maybe another ride option, after maybe 20-30 minutes they started to sound the same. the subtle nuances were blending or disappearing.
    Between age and a youth of unprotected motorcycling and target shooting and rock n roll bands etc., I'm paying the price.
    I don't ride without earplugs anymore if I know I'm going to go more than 30/40 mph and always wear electronic noise cancelling ear protection when shooting.
    If any of you young drummers read this... please take note and protect your hearing!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I've noticed a similar ear adaptation or fatigue when cymbal shopping. I'm 66 and my ears have gone downhill in general, especially lately. I feel like the highs are muted the most. While sampling cymbals last time I was shopping for a splash and maybe another ride option, after maybe 20-30 minutes they started to sound the same. the subtle nuances were blending or disappearing.
    Between age and a youth of unprotected motorcycling and target shooting and rock n roll bands etc., I'm paying the price.
    I don't ride without earplugs anymore if I know I'm going to go more than 30/40 mph and always wear electronic noise cancelling ear protection when shooting.
    If any of you young drummers read this... please take note and protect your hearing!!!
    This was one of the best pieces of advise I got on this site when I joined. I went right out and bought my son and I headphones to reduce the noise during our practice.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal