Thread: Is it Safe to Safe to Set Up My Drumset in the Garage?

User Info Menu

Default Is it Safe to Safe to Set Up My Drumset in the Garage?

I have a nine year-old Sound Percussion Drumset that I have not played in about four years or so. I was thinking of setting it up in my garage. I live a mile or so west of Detroit, MI, so the the climate changes a lot during the year. Would a carpet on the cememt floor be adequate or would some type of platform be a better idea. This is a detached garage with no heat. Please don't ask why I would want to do this.

Thanks in advance.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Is it Safe to Safe to Set Up My Drumset in the Garage?

Not trying to sounds like a jerk or anything... so please don't take offence.
    But being a SP kit and one of that age I wouldn't worry as much about it.
    I have a couple of students who keep their kits in the garage and I'm right next to you in WI.

A lot of people actually use their garages as practice spaces from what I've seen over the years.
    You'll just be limited to practice in the winter being it's cold as can be here in the Midwest lol

User Info Menu

It will probably be OK. Just watch for extremes like high humidity, sunlight coming through a window bearing down on it or extreme cold. Everything else will be fine.

User Info Menu

I agree with Tom^ it shouldn’t be a problem unless you have humidity. It can warp the shells.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I would take the cymbals in.

User Info Menu

I've seen many guys do the same thing. Like was said, watch out for high humidity. If you use a portable propane or gas heater, be careful. They put out a ton of moisture during combustion. Also, drum wraps can be extremely flammable. As for extreme cold; wood metal and plastic can get brittle. Let them warm up before pounding on them.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I would take the cymbals in.
    Why? They're solid metal.

User Info Menu

I'd bring the cymbals in. Not because I'd be concerned about them getting cold or damp - just because they are easy to move and thieves like them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Why? They're solid metal.
    Ya think!!! They can get brittle in the cold up where the Eskimos live.

User Info Menu

As soon as he mentioned Detroit I said... well hope they don't get stolen

User Info Menu

I wouldn’t if I cared about the kit. But I’m in Florida where the humidity would ruin a kit
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

humidity is hell on stands and hoops for rust! i dont want tp smell like a can of WD40 where ever i go so i just try to deal with it.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

We're playing a gig tomorrow night. 6pm-12pm with a 2hr break in the middle. The guy wanted us to play outside, but I told him "sorry but no. We'll play inside or not at all". The main reason is the extreme drop in temperature and high humidity over the course of the night. No way will I expose our instruments and equipment to that. Not to mention the difficulty with acoustics and keeping things in tune.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks to all of you. And no, SpazApproved, you do not sound like a jerk.
    Jack

May this be the best day you ever had and the worst you ever will. Trinity House Mudslinger.

User Info Menu

We ended up actually playing outside last night. Bar owner insisted once we got there and I gave in. It got down into the upper 50's by the last set, but stayed above the dew point. Even so, once the sun went down, we spent more time tuning instruments than playing.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Man that sucks. We lost power after hurricane Irma and it was hot and humid here. It wreaked havoc on my guitars and my kit.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Too many temp changes and humidity where I am. Don't think I'd leave them in a garage unless it was temp controlled.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum Jack. Not all garages are created equal and not all share a drum friendly environment. I've had no issues with leaving my kits (covered or in soft bags) in the garage but it's fully insulated and the walls are finished.

One advantage for me is that I live in a low humidity region (Northern California) and even when it rains, it's not that humid.

Some common sense things I do out in the garage with the drums:

#1. Keep the kit covered when idle and block sunlight on exposed windows near the kit.

#2. Use indoor-outdoor carpet for floor covering.

User Info Menu

continued...

Garage pitfalls: Dust and critters.

To combat the dust and the critters that may take up residency near the kit(s), the garage gets cleaned twice a year:

Last edited by late8; 10-10-2017 at 03:43 PM.

User Info Menu

boy I wish I had that kind of room for my music! If you saw where my kit is you would wonder why my wife hasn't left me. I am truly lucky that she is so supportive.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vlopez1130 View Post
    If you saw where my kit is you would wonder why my wife hasn't left me. I am truly lucky that she is so supportive.
    Yes, the wife is very supportive but only to a certain degree. I dare not step foot in the house with the intentions of playing indoors. The garage is my mine and she gets the rest.

User Info Menu

My kit is sitting in our bedroom near the foot of the bed. We had family move in with us temporarily so I lost my practice room for a bit. My wife is heaven sent I couldn't be happier. As soon as I get my practice room back I'm going to set it up so I can block sound as much as possible. At the end of the day those of us that are married are lucky the wives put up with our banging away on drums regardless of what room in the house it is.

User Info Menu

My kit is sitting in our bedroom near the foot of the bed. We had family move in with us temporarily so I lost my practice room for a bit. My wife is heaven sent I couldn't be happier. As soon as I get my practice room back I'm going to set it up so I can block sound as much as possible. At the end of the day those of us that are married are lucky the wives put up with our banging away on drums regardless of what room in the house it is.
    That's very noble of you to give up the practice room but family comes first right?

I have an advantage over some drummers who are married.

My wife was the first female drummer to join her high school marching band back in the '80's and the first female to participate in the Stage Jazz Band as a set drummer. I have to come up with some really good excuses to upgrade or to buy used gear.

Disadvantages of having a wife who drums:

I can't hide the fact that my double strokes suck or the fact that I can't piece together a cohesive drum solo but I do practice everyday and she has admitted that I'm a better drummer than her for whatever that's worth haha...

Here's a pic of my wife on the drum line (snare drum) and yes, it was a very small marching band unit...just one snare drummer.

User Info Menu

That’s awesome!

User Info Menu

That’s awesome!
    Thanks!