Thread: Drummer, Eddie Villanueva on the Las Vegas shooting

User Info Menu

Default Drummer, Eddie Villanueva on the Las Vegas shooting

This is an interesting interview with Eddie Villanueva of Josh Abbott's band. They were one of the bands that played that day. I can't imagine experiencing something like this at a gig. It must've been terrifying.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummer, Eddie Villanueva on the Las Vegas shooting

I'm just completely mind blown by the whole situation...
    I can't even begin to imagine what it would have been like playing when that happened.
    Let alone have been there at all. . .

of course my prayers go out to all who have lost and all who've been hurt physically and mentally.
    Just because they survived doesn't mean they aren't hurt now.

User Info Menu

Oh yeah. I'm guessing everyone there will be messed up in the head for the rest of their lives.
    I can't imagine what it would have been like on stage. I'm surprised they could hear it over the monitors or see it with all the stage lights. It would definitely take a while for it to register.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Just a horrible situation. Can't imagine how long it will take for anyone involved to feel "normal" again.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

They may never feel normal again at least not in their quiet moments. It’s very sad
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

i felt sick to my stomach thinking about it the day after it happened. All i keep asking myself is... why?

The band plays a song that has 3 parts where i just play the ride... when we played that song last night during the ride parts I thought about all the people that were killed. I read about all of them a few hours before i left for the gig.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I work at a elementary school in Simi Valley, Ca. We lost or office Manager,she was hit an killed. She was with her daughter, our office clerk and one of our 6th grade teachers. Very sad week indeed at work last week. Yesterday our office clerk made an appearance for a couple of hours just so she could 'get back into the routine ' again. Sue will greatly be missed. I was with her on and off through each day.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Just a horrible situation. Can't imagine how long it will take for anyone involved to feel "normal" again.
    Life will never be "normal" again. All will deal with some form of PTSD to varying degrees for the rest of their lives.

Been there, done that, didn't want the lousy tee shirt.

User Info Menu

I haven't been around here in ages, but wanted to reply to this thread, since I live in Las Vegas. One of my coworkers was going to be at that show, but changed her mind at the last minute. My company went wild on Monday morning, having the entire employee list verified , to ensure that we were all okay.

We heard that the killer had planned to do this at the Life is Beautiful show, which my son and his girfriend actually attended. Pretty horrifyingly scary...

Agreed that anyone in attendance at this event will probably be affected for the rest of their lives, in one way or another...
    Now, just a tiny bit less than an absolute drum newbie
    DW Collectors Cherry kit, Ludwig Black Beauty Snare, DW SuperSolid Oak/Cherry Snare, DW Sabian Vault Edge Snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I work at a elementary school in Simi Valley, Ca. We lost or office Manager,she was hit an killed. She was with her daughter, our office clerk and one of our 6th grade teachers. Very sad week indeed at work last week. Yesterday our office clerk made an appearance for a couple of hours just so she could 'get back into the routine ' again. Sue will greatly be missed. I was with her on and off through each day.
    Thanks for sharing this. My thoughts and prayers to you and the staff at your school. This hit's too close to "home" for us on DC. I'm so sorry for the loss.

Quote Originally Posted by cabasner View Post
    I haven't been around here in ages, but wanted to reply to this thread, since I live in Las Vegas. One of my coworkers was going to be at that show, but changed her mind at the last minute. My company went wild on Monday morning, having the entire employee list verified , to ensure that we were all okay.

We heard that the killer had planned to do this at the Life is Beautiful show, which my son and his girfriend actually attended. Pretty horrifyingly scary...

Agreed that anyone in attendance at this event will probably be affected for the rest of their lives, in one way or another...
    Curt, I'm so glad you're doing well. Thanks so much for coming back to post your thoughts. I just can't imagine what your company went through as they scurried to find the company roster to verify everybody was safe. Paris and now Las Vegas. I haven't been to an outdoor concert in years and my next one will be marred with the thought of this horrific event. I'm so numb from it all.

User Info Menu

I watched a video yesterday that showed pictures and descriptions of the 59 people who lost their lives.... very very sad

User Info Menu

I shared a few messages with Rich Redmond on Facebook, who was playing drums for Jason Aldean as the shooting happened. Rich didn't talk details, and I don't blame him. I just tried to encourage him not to be afraid to reach out for help if he or anyone else in the band feels they need it. As a veteran who has been diagnosed with PTSD, I know what a situation like that can do to a person mentally. Sometimes you have to go get some help to cope with things like that.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

"As a veteran who has been diagnosed with PTSD, I know what a situation like that can do to a person mentally. Sometimes you have to go get some help to cope with things like that".

I've been dealing with PTSD since 1970. The 1st year or so was rough, but I've been very lucky in that as each year went past, it seemed to lighten up a bit. Now I seldom think about it, but it is always in the back of my mind.

User Info Menu

As sad and tragic as it was, hearing about the numerous acts of bravery and self sacrifice by many of the concert goers give me a spark of hope for humanity.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Hey drummer.........................

The promoter at our Vince Neil gig last week told me that he declined to do that Vegas gig this year.
    He had done the same gig for the previous four years....................ugh !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)