Thread: Black Panther Test

User Info Menu

Default Black Panther Test

I've tried several different heads on it. The 1 on now is a Aquarian. It sounded good when I was playing it, but not so good listening to it.

OPINIONS----Please.

I hit more rims than I did drums.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Black Panther Test

I'm at work so I only have my crappy computer speaker but it sounded good to me!
    I'll take another listen once I'm home.

User Info Menu

Rick I think that snare sounds great I'm sitting here with headphones on and I like what I hear my friend.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

The snare sounds thin and flat on the video but Youtube's bandwidth has its limitations.

Did you listen to the raw video and compare it to the Youtube video?

If you did, did the sound change??

What other heads have you tried? You mentioned you tried two but didn't list the brand.

I have an Aquarian coated Super2 (2 ply) on my 5x14" Ludwig Black Beauty and compared to the standard Remo coated Ambassadors (1ply) I always use, it sounds great.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    The snare sounds thin and flat on the video but Youtube's bandwidth has its limitations.

Did you listen to the raw video and compare it to the Youtube video?

If you did, did the sound change??

What other heads have you tried? You mentioned you tried two but didn't list the brand.

I have an Aquarian coated Super2 (2 ply) on my 5x14" Ludwig Black Beauty and compared to the standard Remo coated Ambassadors (1ply) I always use, it sounds great.
    Rich, I agree with everything that you said,............................................. .....................................what's a bandwidth.

Seriously, it sounded good when I put it on my PC, a little different on you-tube.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Rich, I agree with everything that you said,............................................. .....................................what's a bandwidth.

Seriously, it sounded good when I put it on my PC, a little different on you-tube.
    Bandwidth is the range of frequencies that's used for transmitting a signal. The wider the bandwidth, the better it will look when downloaded and viewed but bandwidth costs money therefore when it's free like Youtube, you're given the bare minimum and quality of picture and sound suffer.

It makes sense that the quality is better on your PC and less dynamic on Youtube. In order to accommodate the millions of videos up on Youtube, they limit the bandwidth in order to keep up with the demand. Don't judge the quality of the heads by listening to your drums on Youtube. It's like listening to AM radio (Youtube) verse FM (your PC).
    Last edited by late8; 10-11-2017 at 04:33 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Bandwidth is the range of frequencies that's used for transmitting a signal. The wider the bandwidth, the better it will look when downloaded and viewed but bandwidth costs money therefore when it's free like Youtube, you're given the bare minimum and quality of picture and sound suffer.

It makes sense that the quality is better on your PC and less dynamic on Youtube. In order to accommodate the millions of videos up on Youtube, they limit the bandwidth in order to keep up with the demand. Don't judge the quality of the heads by listening to your drums on Youtube. It's like listening to AM radio (Youtube) verse FM (your PC).
    I'm not an IT expert but I believe a better way to describe "bandwidth" is via a plumbing analogy: Band width is the capacity available to transmit data analogous to a pipe's diameter limiting the volume of fluid passing through it. You may not fill the pipe to capacity at all times but there's only so much volume capacity (bandwidth) in a given pipe's diameter at a given pressure.
    In the case of a u-tube post, I'm guessing the quality limiting factor is more a case of how they compress the data. In other words, how many frequencies are eliminated to allow more densely packed info, albeit of lower resolution, to pass through the "pipe".
    But we digress... If the snare sounds good to you in person, then enjoy. If in doubt, have a friend play it for you while you listen from different distances / angles.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 10-12-2017 at 11:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I'm not an IT expert but I believe a better way to describe "bandwidth" is via a plumbing analogy: Band width is the capacity available to transmit data analogous to a pipe's diameter limiting the volume of fluid passing through it. You may not fill the pipe to capacity at all times but there's only so much volume capacity (bandwidth) in a given pipe's diameter at a given pressure.
    In the case of a u-tube post, I'm guessing the quality limiting factor is more a case of how they compress the data. In other words, how many frequencies are eliminated to allow more densely packed info, albeit of lower resolution, to pass through the "pipe".
    I'm not a plumber but I'm in the business of streaming video and deal with many who don't understand what I do. Thanks for expounding bandwidth for rick.

I went to the quickest source (internet) and found this for him. I think #2 fits him to a tee

User Info Menu

So, near as I can figure, I can plug something into a electrical outlet, OR, buy some PVC, hook that up to a water supply, and whichever 1 sounds the best is the 1 you use. You do have to be careful and not run water lines and electrical lines at the same time. I have heard that that can leave a mark on your body visible as they bury you, OR you could be used as a Christmas light on your house.

User Info Menu

Or you can just play like Blue Man Group