Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When a Hall of Fame guitarist asks you to be his drummer

User Info Menu

Default When a Hall of Fame guitarist asks you to be his drummer

Frankly, I'm still a bit shocked. There is a Rockabilly Hall of Fame guitarist named George Scaife that has had numerous successful bands over the years, and he is in the process of putting together a new band now. He came out to a local jam that I play at each week just for fun and he asked me for my contact information after I played a couple sets of songs. He called me and extended the spot to me. He said he had a drummer, but was letting him go because his work schedule isn't allowing him to practice and show up for gigs. I ended up playing a sit in show with the band and doing an additional six or seven songs at an open jam with him and his bass player, and he told me he for sure wanted me in the band.

It's been an honor, but also a sigh of relief. As you all have seen on here, I've had several bands ask me to drum for them, but none have worked out (with the exception of one that I play part time with) simply because no one wants to practice. They aren't serious about it. This guy is VERY serious, and has gigs lined up, and has had to turn a few down while he revamps his band.
    Last edited by DrumWhipper; 10-13-2017 at 12:05 PM.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: When a Hall of Fame guitarist asks you to be his drummer

Sounds promising........................best of luck that it all works out well.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Sounds Great !!! As long as you can make the commitment, I'd go for it if it is something you would enjoy.

User Info Menu

awesome, I am in the same boat. Band I am in now I have quit 2 times in the past because they never practice and the band is the absolute last thing on their minds. Almost to the point I ask myself why the hell do they even bother. But the other bands I have joined in between have all been the same way and atleast I get along with all these guys so I decided to just try and drag them along. I am glad you found something serious, sounds like I need to start hitting some open mics, I usually do not like em because I am too critical of my own playing to get up their and play songs I have never played before but I guess it is a good way to practice and learn. Good luck
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yeah that has been my main thing. I've had some opportunities with some very talented musicians and great people, but when you go three months between practice dates I just don't think you're serious enough to do anything.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

All the luck to you and your success. This sounds like it might be a great steady gig for you
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Sounds exciting, best wishes in your endeavors!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Frankly, I'm still a bit shocked. There is a Rockabilly Hall of Fame guitarist named George Scaife that has had numerous successful bands over the years, and he is in the process of putting together a new band now. He came out to a local jam that I play at each week just for fun and he asked me for my contact information after I played a couple sets of songs. He called me and extended the spot to me. He said he had a drummer, but was letting him go because his work schedule isn't allowing him to practice and show up for gigs. I ended up playing a sit in show with the band and doing an additional six or seven songs at an open jam with him and his bass player, and he told me he for sure wanted me in the band.

It's been an honor, but also a sigh of relief. As you all have seen on here, I've had several bands ask me to drum for them, but none have worked out (with the exception of one that I play part time with) simply because no one wants to practice. They aren't serious about it. This guy is VERY serious, and has gigs lined up, and has had to turn a few down while he revamps his band.
    Well done excellent

User Info Menu

that rockabilly is a tough gig
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

That sounds like something you have to go for. Have fun.

User Info Menu

Thanks again, everyone. We are meeting up at his studio this Saturday to have a jam session, and see how things feel. We have one guy in limbo, so we are going to have to see how that is going to play out.

User Info Menu

That's awesome news DrumWhipper! Good luck to you!

User Info Menu

We had our first practice yesterday, and it went very well. There were a couple of songs I am going to have to work on, but the vast majority I have been playing for years. In fact, the majority of the band has been playing them, so we blew through them in practice and it sounded good. We are going to go out to a local jam on Wednesday night and do a 3-5 song set just to see how it feels in a live setting, and tweak from there.

User Info Menu

Congrats! Sounds like you found a great spot in a band with similar work ethic to you. Good luck on the jam (post videos if you take them).
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

That's awesome man! Good luck!

User Info Menu

UPDATE

After a few weekends of practice, we are going to debut the band next week. We are going to do a 5 song set at a local open mic jam, then we have some gigs lined up going all the way through the first of the year.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    UPDATE

After a few weekends of practice, we are going to debut the band next week. We are going to do a 5 song set at a local open mic jam, then we have some gigs lined up going all the way through the first of the year.
    Nice!! Sounds like things are humming right along. I envy you! I wish I had gigs lined up. I could use the extra dough especially through the Holiday's...

User Info Menu

Got a lil sumpn' sumpn' for you guys

User Info Menu

Awesome. Good luck and sounds amazing.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Thanks! It's been fun so far!

User Info Menu

Got another one for you guys

User Info Menu

Had a small, private gig today. It was a lot of fun, and it is such an honor to play for someone who has been around the music scene for more years than I've been alive.

User Info Menu

Just got booked for several gigs to include being the opening act at three nights worth of street festivals in September and November.

User Info Menu

New guitar player is doing well with us so far. We hit up an open mic jam with him as part of the band and played a 30 minute set. Other than the monitors going out on us in the middle of our third song it went well.

User Info Menu

Sorry you get stuck looking at my ugly mug for this one, but we have our final song for our outdoor block party show set. Our version of Samathan Fish's "Lay It Down".