Thread: Let's talk sticks

User Info Menu

Default Let's talk sticks

It is no secret that I have played Vater brand sticks for quite a while. They have held up well for me, but I am having some issues with the last two bricks I've purchased.

The shafts themselves hold up fine, but the tips have been shredding on me with minimal usage (2-4 playing sessions/gigs).

I'm not sure if I got some older, dried out sticks (the coloration on these have gone "darker" quicker than previous sticks I've had) or of this is an issue Vater is going through right now.

Is anyone else who uses Vater having any issues? I'm using the Manhattan 7A and Los Angeles 5A sticks.

20180812_095543.jpg
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Let's talk sticks

I used the Los Angeles 5A and Josh Freese H-220 wood tips exclusively for over 10 years. Never had trouble with the tips and the sticks seemed to wear well. Great sticks, well made, good, consistent balance and feel, but ... heavy. I also used the Sugar Maple - 5A from time to time but found them to be a bit too light. If your sticks seem lighter and drier than usual, then there's a good change you may have ended up with a bad batch of warehoused sticks.

If Vater would produce the Los Angeles in a lighter weight it would be perfect for me. But I gave up and switched back to the Promark TX5AW - 5A Wood Tip Hickory sticks a couple of years ago and never looked back. I'm sure I'll probably switch back to Vater again at some point ... it's just how it is with me.

However, I don't buy sticks by the brick any more though. I prefer to choose them since bricks tend to have 1/3 light, 1/3 medium, and 1/3 heavy in weight on the average. That way I get a bunch of sticks with consistent weight and feel ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 08-14-2018 at 06:13 PM.