Thread: Your Best Snare Bag ???

User Info Menu

Default Your Best Snare Bag ???

My beautiful new snare drum needs a new snare bag.....................what is the best bag for the money ?
    Last edited by Ricardo; 10-16-2017 at 08:18 AM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Your Best Snare Bag ???

Protection Racket bags are good - but they cost almost as much as a hardcase...

User Info Menu

I've purchased several new snare bags in the last month. All have been Gator bags, but that's mostly because they are cheap, available, and all my Gator drum bags have proven to be almost bulletproof after 4yrs of gigging. I also have several of the older basic Roadrunner bags, and I actually like them better.

If I were to recommend one for a snare such as yours, it would be any one of the three;

Protection Racket
    Humes & Berg Seeker
    Roadrunner Touring

I would avoid the Humes & Berg Galaxy series. I bought one for my 18" BD and it ripped out after the second gig. My H&B Seeker hardware bag (on the other hand) has held up very well and is well engineered. Roadrunner's new Touring line looks nice too. If they're built like the old Roadrunner bags, they would be an excellent choice.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Actually, after looking again, the Roadrunner Touring would probably be my choice. In fact, they're on sale and I have a Platinum card. My new Ludwigs could use a new set of bags....
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Myt beautiful new snare drum needs a new snare bag.....................what is the best bag for the money ?
    I have to go with Protection racket. I have them all Beato,gator,Ahead,roadrunner,Protection racket,well,almost. Beato is the best, but I don't like the handles he puts on them.

User Info Menu

Why a bag? I couldn't ever not use hard cases myself. I've seen to many accidents happen.
    We all try to be as careful as we can but things can still happen that are out of our control.
    Hard cases have saved me numerous times.

User Info Menu

Ahead or Protection Racket for soft bags! I found that my SKB hard cases scratch up the interior of my vehicles especial the footings and sharp edges.
    Last edited by late8; 10-16-2017 at 10:47 AM.

User Info Menu

I have a dominos pizza bag that I got from a delivery driver works great

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by stonednaked719 View Post
    I have a dominos pizza bag that I got from a delivery driver works great
    Well then, there ya go!

User Info Menu

I bet your snare drum turns into a large scratch and sniff... every time you hit it, it smells like pizza!

User Info Menu

The anchovies probably get stuck in that gap between the head and the rim.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

But people do get disappointed when you show up with it and pull out a snare instead of pizza

User Info Menu

I only have Gator bags and they do the job. Haven't had any problems. Good zippers and strap handles.

It's funny though I re skinned one of my snares a little while ago for tomorrow night and decided to put it in a H&B hard case that wasn't being used for anything
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The Ludwig Legacy bags are really great quality.I have the Blue/Olive one.Bought it at a discount on ebay,around $60.They usually go for $100.

User Info Menu

MUCHO thanks for all the input.
    After consideration (and of course a good deal on the purchase), I bought two Protection Racket bags.
    7X13 for the Ludwig Black Magic........................and 6.4X14 for the new Gretsch USA Bronze.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I've been using SKB bags for the last several years and they have served me well. They are easy to fit in the car without potentially damaging the interior. Now that I have a set of DWs, before I ever gig with them (IF I ever do), I'm thinking I need to get cases or bags that better protect my investment. I checked out Ahead bags and they seemed to be a good middle ground between soft and hard cases. They have a layer of rigid foam and thick plush padding. I ordered one for my snare and I am very impressed with it. The prices are just a bit more than for the soft cases and a LOT less than hard cases. I plan to get the full set.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I've been very pleased with soft bags by Protection Racket. Thick outer casing and well padded interior. I'm not a big fan of hard cases.

User Info Menu

I have always had soft snare bags because none of my snares have ever been really high end. I just bought a DW collectors maple snare about 4 months ago and actually dropped it about 2 feet while in a soft bag and freaked out. Noting happened to it but why chance a $550 snare so I just ordered a SKB roto x molded.. I got a great deal off thanks to a coupon and will let ya know how it is when I get it Monday.
    Last edited by MDK; 11-11-2017 at 08:48 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Yeah.....I would say if you're snare costs $500, a hard case would be in order.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I have a number of snares valued at over $700. Guess what they ride in when they go out to play? A soft bag. A good one. No problems.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I have a number of snares valued at over $700. Guess what they ride in when they go out to play? A soft bag. A good one. No problems.
    I hear ya but sometimes people want to help out and no matter how well their intentions are they are never going to care as much as you do plus all it takes is one stumble on your part and bammm instant helping of regret. Extra protection for under $90 is well worth it IMO.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've started using soft bags inside of non-padded hard cases. I use the soft bags for local gigs and the combination for any situation which involves throwing the drums into a truck. So far it's worked great. You have to find a bag that will fit in the hard case. Beatos usually fill the bill with SKB cases.

User Info Menu

I have 5 Humes and Berg Drum Seeker snare bags and I love em. Very heavy duty and plush inside.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!