Thread: Gretsch G4169B

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch G4169B

Arrived last Thursday after a 4-month wait....................

image1.jpg

20171012_165714.jpg

Inner box:
    20171012_165752.jpg

2017101295165832.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch G4169B

Unboxing Continued.................................I replaced the batter head with a favorite Aquarian and started the tuning...................
    Tuned low it had distasteful overtones.................didn't like it.
    Tuned medium it was definitely better -- overtones disappear -- somewhat of a woody sound.
    Tuned higher the drum sounds excellent.....................working with it for only about 20 minutes and not knowing much, I left it cranked fairly tight and took off for the gig.

20171012_170140.jpg

20171012_170243.jpg

20171012_170258.jpg

20171012_170328.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Nice looking snare! Can you point out the flaw on the butt plate that you mentioned in another thread? Sounded like you did a quick fix on it before the gig? Thanks!

User Info Menu

Yes -- in the third photo just above, you can see the thumb screw with the bolt through the center.
    On the other end of the bolt there is a male (conical shape) that is supposed to be forced into the female part that also holds the snare-wire strap.
    All I did was place a drop of golf club glue* in the female then put it my bench vice protected by rubber sleeves...................then pressure force the male with one firm hammer tap.
    I let the glue set for 18 hours and put the drum back together at noon on Friday.....................by 3PM, I was headed to the gig................it worked perfectly.

* Golf club glue:
    I used to build and repair a lot of golf clubs. The glue used to do this is a 2-part epoxy that needs at least 18 hours to set (24 is better).
    Golf club glue is used to hold the club-head on the shaft..................so you can imagine how strong this has to be.
    To get the glue to release, it has to be heated to 400 degrees F.
    I suspect the repair I made on the strainer butt will be there a long time....................no worries.................and you can't see any glue at all.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Yes -- in the third photo just above, you can see the thumb screw with the bolt through the center.
    On the other end of the bolt there is a male (conical shape) that is supposed to be forced into the female part that also holds the snare-wire strap.
    All I did was place a drop of golf club glue* in the female then put it my bench vice protected by rubber sleeves...................then pressure force the male with one firm hammer tap.
    I let the glue set for 18 hours and put the drum back together at noon on Friday.....................by 3PM, I was headed to the gig................it worked perfectly.

* Golf club glue:
    I used to build and repair a lot of golf clubs. The glue used to do this is a 2-part epoxy that needs at least 18 hours to set (24 is better).
    Golf club glue is used to hold the club-head on the shaft..................so you can imagine how strong this has to be.
    To get the glue to release, it has to be heated to 400 degrees F.
    I suspect the repair I made on the strainer butt will be there a long time....................no worries.................and you can't see any glue at all.
    Thanks! Golf club glue sounds darn strong. I'll keep that one tucked in the back of my mind.

User Info Menu

Unboxing Continued.................................I replaced the batter head with a favorite Aquarian and started the tuning...................
    Tuned low it had distasteful overtones.................didn't like it.
    Tuned medium it was definitely better -- overtones disappear -- somewhat of a woody sound.
    Tuned higher the drum sounds excellent.....................working with it for only about 20 minutes and not knowing much, I left it cranked fairly tight and took off for the gig.

20171012_170140.jpg

20171012_170243.jpg

20171012_170258.jpg

20171012_170328.jpg
    Beaut.....would love a Gretsch kit one day but not worthy after just 4 months of playing....dream on lol

User Info Menu

If you have the love enough to know you will never stop.................and the money...................all you need to know is which pro set you want to buy.
    All of the popular drum-makers offer excellent quality shells from which you can choose...................so it is a difficult decision for some drummers.
    I was very fortunate when I bought my USA shells............I knew they were top-notch but I did not know I would still appreciate them so much after 40 years.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Too bad they misassembled your new snare though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Too bad they misassembled your new snare though.
    A minor flaw that I was able to resolve quickly; but I'm glad I did not discover it in the middle of a gig.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

A minor flaw that I was able to resolve quickly; but I'm glad I did not discover it in the middle of a gig.
    Just a small glitch from the company that we all know and love.

Awesome snare Ricardo!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Thanks kay-gee............................
    I had a suspicion you might like that one.
    It sounds as good as it looks.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian