Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for a new snare, don't want to break the bank.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for a new snare, don't want to break the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "she doesn't sound bad just a little more ring than I want at the moment"

Popsicle stick............................................. .................................it works.
    Haven't heard of that one, will look it up thanks.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

A little moongel will fix it right up. Sometimes a 2ply batter head helps as well. I'd rather have some "ring" and have to control it when needed than have it be dead all the time. A little ring give it projection and body from out in front.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

70's era Ludwig Supraphonic....................................... .SETTLED!!!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Haven't heard of that one, will look it up thanks.
    I look for the thin popsicle sticks (about 1/4" wide). I'll use a piece about 1" to 1 1/4". I start about 2 1/2" from the rim, keeping it between where the right and left hands fall. If you want a little ring, keep it closer to the rim, less ring, further out from the rim. My 1st metal snare was a Supraphonic. I got it nice and crisp, but I also got a lot of ring. Tried everything from a hammer to a backhoe and a 1" piece of popsicle stick did it.

If you ever see 1 of my videos with white frosted heads, you can see the stick under the head of the snare.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I look for the thin popsicle sticks (about 1/4" wide). I'll use a piece about 1" to 1 1/4". I start about 2 1/2" from the rim, keeping it between where the right and left hands fall. If you want a little ring, keep it closer to the rim, less ring, further out from the rim. My 1st metal snare was a Supraphonic. I got it nice and crisp, but I also got a lot of ring. Tried everything from a hammer to a backhoe and a 1" piece of popsicle stick did it.

If you ever see 1 of my videos with white frosted heads, you can see the stick under the head of the snare.
    Thank you sir, will try that out if we can't get her dialed in.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Congrats on the score! The P-85 throw-off on the '70's era Ludwig snares are made with tighter tolerances compared to the P-85 on my Monroe made Black Beauty.