Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new snare, don't want to break the bank.

User Info Menu

Default Looking for a new snare, don't want to break the bank.

Hey all,

So next on my GAS list is a new (or used) snare drum. I currently have the steel Stage Custom snare and both my son and I are not overly impressed with the sound. We are looking for a warmer sound, so we are thinking a wood shell. Any recommendations for a great sounding snare that doesn't break the bank? I would like to stay $300 or under. A couple in consideration already are the SLP Bubinga and the Pork Pie 13x7 vented. Any input is appreciated.

OED
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for a new snare, don't want to break the bank.

I'm a Pork Pie fan, but I've played their 13x7 vented. To say it's "intense" is an understatement. I'd start the search at Tama and Mapex. I've seen some OCD wood snares on sale recently. They seem to get good reviews and are very reasonable in price when found on sale.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I've always steered away from vented. They seem too dry sounding to me. If you guys want wood I'd say a nice maple would be a good choice. If you want what I like to think is "the best of both worlds" try a brass snare. They have good bite and volume but also the warmth. Bronze might have those characteristics too but don't know for sure, I know they're stupid expensive though.

I have 2 Pearl brass snares one is a regular lug and the newer one is the FF version. Both are 6.5x14 and never disappoint live or in the studio. You can pretty much use any head and still get the warmth even a clear batter.
    Last edited by slinky; 10-20-2017 at 05:04 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Thanks guys! I am going to try to get out this weekend and hit up the few stores in my area that stock some snares. Will try out all I can and see if I can find the sound we are looking for. I will try out some brass snares as well.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Yeah I agree a Brass snare is pretty warm, and the Pork Pie Big Black snare is a great snare at a great price. You may even find one used, I got mine with a 15% off discount at GC.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I tell you what... I own over 40 snare drums... The Tama G-maple 13x7 is in my top 3 favorite snares and it's at a awesome price.
    That snare is so awesome I'll never sell it.
    It has the high end tight punch in the face I love but also being 7" deep it has the kick in the nuts to match.

It's an all around just epic snare drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I tell you what... I own over 40 snare drums... The Tama G-maple 13x7 is in my top 3 favorite snares and it's at a awesome price.
    It has the high end tight punch in the face I love but also being 7" deep it has the kick in the nuts to match.

I don't have one, but I would sure like to have one! Tama S.L.P. series snare drums are great!

User Info Menu

Thanks Guys,

After listening to a bunch of youtube videos I am leaning towards the SLP Bubinga. I also liked the sound of the Mapex Armory Dillinger series, anybody have any experience with that snare? I am going out today to see what my local shops have in stock and really hoping to run across the Tama to try in person.

User Info Menu

Thanks Spaz, I just went and watched a video of it and I will definitely try that one out as well. Nice sounding snare.
    Last edited by OldeEnglishD; 10-21-2017 at 07:48 AM.

User Info Menu

So today we tried the SLP Bubinga, the Pork Pie Big Black Brass, and a 14x8 DW Performance Chrome over steel. All were very nice sounding, but right now we are leaning towards the Pork Pie. Had the best mixture of warmth and volume. We are going to another store tomorrow that tends to have more snares in stock (but is further away). Thanks again for the help guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    So today we tried the SLP Bubinga, the Pork Pie Big Black Brass, and a 14x8 DW Performance Chrome over steel. All were very nice sounding, but right now we are leaning towards the Pork Pie. Had the best mixture of warmth and volume. We are going to another store tomorrow that tends to have more snares in stock (but is further away). Thanks again for the help guys!
    Most people who play it feel the same way, it is a very versatile snare that sounds and feels like much higher end brass snares.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I've read that the Worldmax Black Hawk and Black Brass series snares are very similar to the Pork Pie Brass - apparently they have the same shell, although the hardware may differ. They may be worth checking out if you get the chance.

User Info Menu

So after playing on one and watching a ton more videos, WE are now leaning towards a good old Ludwig Acrolite. I was really surprised how well I liked the sound of this snare when tuned to a medium setting. Now the search begins for a used deal!

User Info Menu

Not sure how much different the student issue Black Galaxy Acrolites sound compared to a grey/silver one, but they're almost "buy-1-get-1-free" around here. I should probably buy one, just because...
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Do you know why I own 40 snares?! Because I can't make up my mind..
    Sounds like you may need to start a collection yourself hahahaha

I stand behind Pork Pie 100%
    I own a Pork Pie kit and 6 or 7 snares.
    Absolutely love them all.

User Info Menu

So after playing on one and watching a ton more videos, WE are now leaning towards a good old Ludwig Acrolite. I was really surprised how well I liked the sound of this snare when tuned to a medium setting. Now the search begins for a used deal!
    Great choice! I have a Blue and Olive (B/O) badge Acrolite from the '80's and it sounds great. In my neck of the woods, I've seen the vintage Acrolite snares listed as low as $180 on my local CL. Good luck on the hunt!

User Info Menu

I really like my Mapex Black Panther Blade snare drum. Inexpensive and sounds great.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Slowly but surely I will start building it lol. I swear I fell in love with 5-8 snares over the last week.

User Info Menu

I never understood why some drummers own more than 1 or 2 snares. Somehow, in the last couple years, I've developed a snare addiction myself. I didn't see it coming, but I now understand.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Got a line on a used acrolite that my son and I are going to go look at tomorrow am. Will post pictures if we end up with it!

User Info Menu

Well I am the proud owner of an Acrolite. It needs some TLC/cleaning/new heads but overall in very good shape. B/O badge with pointed corners, serial number has it as a 1976 model I believe. Will post pictures once the refurbish job is done.
    Last edited by OldeEnglishD; 10-28-2017 at 11:42 AM.

User Info Menu

Well I am the proud owner of an Acrolite. It needs some TLC/cleaning/new heads but overall in very good shape. B/O badge with pointed corners, serial number has it as a 1976 model I believe. Will post pictures once the refurbish job is done.
    Great snare for the money.......................generally trouble-free.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Not sure how much different the student issue Black Galaxy Acrolites sound compared to a grey/silver one, but they're almost "buy-1-get-1-free" around here. I should probably buy one, just because...
    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Great choice! I have a Blue and Olive (B/O) badge Acrolite from the '80's and it sounds great. In my neck of the woods, I've seen the vintage Acrolite snares listed as low as $180 on my local CL. Good luck on the hunt!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Great snare for the money.......................generally trouble-free.
    The Acrolite is a great snare. It has a wider tuning range than most drummers realize. The 1st 6 months I was here in NC, it's the snare I used on all my videos.

User Info Menu

Well she is all done. There was some scuffs/mars/scars that we could do nothing about, but I would say we made her look 50-75% better. Used tar and bug remover on the shell to take off some of the crud and then finished off with warm soapy water, chrome polished the hoops and lugs to remove some rust, and soaked the tension rods in alcohol then cleaned the threads with steel wool. New heads (coated ambassador/hazy ambassador) and new tension rod washers put on. I still need to dial in the tuning, she doesn't sound bad just a little more ring than I want at the moment. It was awesome doing this with my son as well, it made him much more excited to play the drum once we finished. I will try to figure out how to post the before and after pictures here later today.

User Info Menu

"she doesn't sound bad just a little more ring than I want at the moment"

Popsicle stick............................................. .................................it works.