I'm looking to upgrade the B8 cymbals that came with my setup. I already found a good used crash (HHX Evolution), and I feel like I have a good handle on the type of ride I want (leaning towards an Omni 22"), but I'm having trouble figuring out the hats.

In addition to the B8's, I've tried the following other hats which were available used at the local Guitar Centers:
Zildjian 14" A Custom
Sabian 14" XSR X-celerator
Zildjian 14" New Beats
Sabian 14" HH EQ

Out of these I like the HH EQ the best but I still don't feel like they're really working for me. The New Beats I know are a standard but they seem rather clangy (so do the X-celerators) and there is a small crack in the New Beats as well. The A Customs were OK but like the HH EQ's didn't seem enough better over the B8's to be worth the money.

I'm looking for something to play at home only, needs to have a good chick, and not be too loud or clangy. And finally, it needs to be something I can get for a good price either used/clearance at GC or eBay. Let's say a price cap of $200. I don't mind waiting a while to find the right hats.

I should also mention that my hi-hat stand is pretty old and tired, is this potentially responsible for the aforementioned hats not sounding better perhaps?

Thanks!