Thread: Looking for hi-hats

User Info Menu

Default Looking for hi-hats

I'm looking to upgrade the B8 cymbals that came with my setup. I already found a good used crash (HHX Evolution), and I feel like I have a good handle on the type of ride I want (leaning towards an Omni 22"), but I'm having trouble figuring out the hats.

In addition to the B8's, I've tried the following other hats which were available used at the local Guitar Centers:
    Zildjian 14" A Custom
    Sabian 14" XSR X-celerator
    Zildjian 14" New Beats
    Sabian 14" HH EQ

Out of these I like the HH EQ the best but I still don't feel like they're really working for me. The New Beats I know are a standard but they seem rather clangy (so do the X-celerators) and there is a small crack in the New Beats as well. The A Customs were OK but like the HH EQ's didn't seem enough better over the B8's to be worth the money.

I'm looking for something to play at home only, needs to have a good chick, and not be too loud or clangy. And finally, it needs to be something I can get for a good price either used/clearance at GC or eBay. Let's say a price cap of $200. I don't mind waiting a while to find the right hats.

I should also mention that my hi-hat stand is pretty old and tired, is this potentially responsible for the aforementioned hats not sounding better perhaps?

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Looking for hi-hats

I played a set of standard XSR not the X-celerators and I thought they were a great sounding.
    I'm surprised and not at the same time about the x-celerators sounding clangy.
    I had a pair of speed something... I didn't like them either.

User Info Menu

I've always thought that B8 bronze works well for hats. I've also been looking to upgrade my 13" B8 hats that I use for most of our gigs. I've listen to/played various 13" B20 hats, but nothing yet sounds enough better to justify spending the extra money. The closest I came was a pair of nice 13" New Beats that I found local for $149. Unfortunately, I went back the next day to buy them and someone else beat me to it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Choosing cymbals is a difficult and subjective process for me. I had to have at least 3 to 4 pairs of hats lined up side by side at the family owned local music store I shop at in order for me to hear the differences in pitch and tone from the three major cymbal companies, Zildjian, Paiste and Sabian. I own 5 pairs of hihats ranging from 13"-15" from Zildjian and Sabian and each set has its own characteristics which sets them apart from each other.

What helped me in narrowing my choices in hihats was taking my favorite ride cymbal with me to the music store and having the sales staff set it up on a stand while I dragged different hihats that were already on display on the showroom floor and with my own sticks, I rung each set of hats out from a light tap to full on bashing. I also noted how well each set blended in with the ride cymbal I had brought in to the store. The "chick" sound was also an important factor on determining which could cut through a heavily laden wall of sound from the guitar players I jam with.

Loud hihats:

My "go to" hats, 14" Zildjian K Custom Dark. It has a nice clean crisp chick and not too over bearing to where it dominates the other pieces on the kit.

For the classic rock and metal heads I jam with, I use the 14" Sabian AAX Fast hats. These hats cut right through any loud guitar riff and due to the vented bottom cymbal cup, it lacks any clangy, heavy sound and playing quarter notes on the hihat pedal is a breeze due to no cymbal lock, again it's due to the vented bottom cymbal.

"Quiet" hats:

For the quiet "No loud" situations, I have a pair of vintage 15" Zildjian A (thin jazz) hats. These hats are light in weight and sound "soft". I rarely use any dampening on the drums for an outdoor venue but along with a little moongel on the toms, these hats have enough "umph" in them to keep a tight pocket:

Hihat Customization:

I had a pair of 13" Sabian HHX Evolution hats modified at the Sabian factory a few years ago and what they did for the hats improved the volume, clarity and tone and made them crisper by adding 8 rivets and cutting two vent holes in the bottom cup. This modification was a mere $40 USD but it netted a huge improvement over the stock configuration.

Last edited by late8; 10-25-2017 at 01:45 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a pair of HH Sabian Hats with Rivets and the vent holes and it's by far my favorite!
    Almost forgot about it cause it's on my Yamaha kit which I rarely play

User Info Menu

continued...

Yamaha HS650-A Hihat stand

In my opinion, hihat stands don't necessarily improve quality of the sound of the hats but a pet peeve of mine is a flimsy stand that has a lack of adjust-ability. Case in point, the Yamaha HS650-A hihat stand that came with my Yamaha DTXpress IV ekit is listed for $99. It lacks swivel-able legs, no pull-rod spring adjustments, no bottom foot plate and lacks any foot-board pedal height adjustments.

Due to its light weight, the HS650-A has a tendency to creep forward as I play which is frustrating to say the least. In order for me to keep it in place I bought a Gibraltar SC-EA300
    Flex Extension Arm and I bolt it to the nearest cymbal stand to aid in its stability.

DW 5500TD hihat stand:

I upgraded to a double braced set up which adds weight to the stand. What sold me on the upgrade are the adjustable features and accessories that came with this model.

Last edited by late8; 10-25-2017 at 12:43 PM.

User Info Menu

continued...

The Pearl H-2000 hihat stand:

Pearl's offering for a double braced hihat stand, the H-2000 shares the same design features as the Pearl P-2000 bass drum pedal. Interchangeable foot-board cams allow for different fulcrum points as the foot-board makes its travel up and down.

Features:
    •The H-2000 features our SuperGrip Clutch. This clutch system uses a larger surface area with 360 degrees of grip tha provides vice like clamping force for super grip.
    •Patented seat cup features a hinged platform for outstanding stability and consistent hi-hat sound.
    •Swivelling legs allow perfect placement by themselves or with multi-pedal set-ups.
    •PowerShifter allows the player to quickly shift the footboard to one of three playing positions. This changes the angle of the pull chain which in turn changes the overall feel of the hi-hat action.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have a pair of HH Sabian Hats with Rivets and the vent holes and it's by far my favorite!
    Almost forgot about it cause it's on my Yamaha kit which I rarely play
    I forgot that I drilled 2 vent holes in my 13" B8 bottom hat. No question that it made a very noticeable improvement in sound. All it took was a 3/8" drill bit and my DeWalt 18V drill. I never thought about rivets in a hi-hat....maybe I should break out the drill and give it a try!
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I have a set of zildjian 14"A's had them for 25 years and they still sound great. I have a practice set of hi hats 14" groove percussion and they are B20. Trying to find information on who makes these cymbals for them can't find nothing. Not clangy or tinny. Sound good played open or closed. Great for practice or playing at home. I've been looking at 14" Sabian AXXs I like how they sound. You can find a good used pair for about $200.

User Info Menu

Look up Sabian Regular Hats. You may like them.

sabian aa regular hats.jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-11-2017 at 09:48 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Goro View Post
    I have a practice set of hi hats 14" groove percussion and they are B20. Trying to find information on who makes these cymbals for them can't find nothing. Not clangy or tinny. Sound good played open or closed. Great for practice or playing at home.
    Hey Goro, They're B20? They look nice.
    If they're "Groove Percussion", I believe they're owned/manufactured by Sam Ash music.

groove percussion hi hats (1).jpg
    Last edited by Olimpass; 11-12-2017 at 05:36 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    Hey Goro, They're B20? They look nice.
    If they're "Groove Percussion", I believe they're owned/manufactured by Sam Ash music.

groove percussion hi hats (1).jpg
    Thanks for the info! Mine have the GP ink stamp not the words written out. For not being made by the top three they do sound good. Maybe I should try polishing mine like those.

User Info Menu

Most likely made by one of the Chinese factories in the Wuhan province. They can turn out some nice stuff or crap stuff....depending on what the customer/importer wants. I have a $70 no-name demo 20" ride that was labeled with the actual factory name;
    IMG_0949-full.jpg
    It was with some other cymbals the literally had "customer logo here" printed on them. After stripping the ink logo, sanding and polishing, it sounds awesome. Very similar to a K Zildjian. Looks good, too;
    IMG_0958.jpg
    I couldn't care less who or where it's made. The fact that it cost $70 is the icing on the cake.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

^^Nice!!

User Info Menu

I have these. I use them for rehearsals and have used them live. They are great.

20151111_111524 by Pigg Penn, on Flickr

$150.00 shipped to COTUS. Personal check is ok if you can wait until it clears. Add 3% for Paypal.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

^^^^^^ 13" or 14"?
    Would you deliver to Lincoln if it's to a gig and you can sit in for a set?
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    ^^^^^^ 13" or 14"?
    Would you deliver to Lincoln if it's to a gig and you can sit in for a set?
    If this question is directed at me....they are 14" and I purchased them used on an ebay auction. This was the condition I received them. Other than logo sacrifice, they sound outstanding, IMHO.

As far as hand delivered, I don't think I'm heading that direction any time soon and with a new project just starting for me....I have enough on my plate for a while.

I do appreciate the invite however and one of these days....be careful what you wish for.....
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Most likely made by one of the Chinese factories in the Wuhan province. They can turn out some nice stuff or crap stuff....depending on what the customer/importer wants. I have a $70 no-name demo 20" ride that was labeled with the actual factory name;
    IMG_0949-full.jpg
    It was with some other cymbals the literally had "customer logo here" printed on them. After stripping the ink logo, sanding and polishing, it sounds awesome. Very similar to a K Zildjian. Looks good, too;
    IMG_0958.jpg
    I couldn't care less who or where it's made. The fact that it cost $70 is the icing on the cake.
    That cleaned up really nice! That's interesting, I bought a 14" traditional med thin Wuhan crash for $30 brilliant finish and I swear it sounds like a K. Not bright, tinny, or fast. It's darker than my 16" A med thin crash.