Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the signature gear thread

User Info Menu

Default the signature gear thread

post signature gear here.

I really don't buy signature stuff but thought this could be a fun thread. I have bought and used signature sticks before though.

Here is an Alex Van Halen signature snare. I thought there was already one out but don't remember it looking like this one.

RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: the signature gear thread

Cool drum, but wow....does Alex look old now, LOL
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I would never in a million years buy a signature drum. You'll automatically pay out the nose for it but most often not getting any more from the drum. There are 2000 other drums you could buy that would sound just as good or better at a considerably lower price. The suggestion of paying that much money because of it having his name on it is like walking into the store and bending over. A sucker is born every minute.

User Info Menu

I’ve always loved his snare sound.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I never buy anything " signature" drums , sticks, shoes, etc. Like Drummer said most of it is overpriced because of the person that signed it. And you can most likely find the equivalent of it for half the price.

User Info Menu

I bought the signature Steve Gadd sticks by Vic Firth once, but only because I found a brick of 6 pair for $30. Loved the sticks though.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I have a bunch of Signature Mike Portnoy items:
    13" snare with the dual throw off
    10 and 12" Maxx Stacks
    Sticks

1) Because I love the sound
    2) I was a HUGE Portnoy fan
    3) They didn't cost more than others when I bought them

I don't think the add on signature makes a huge difference... it's when it's truly signed people try to jack up the prices.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I would never in a million years buy a signature drum. You'll automatically pay out the nose for it but most often not getting any more from the drum. There are 2000 other drums you could buy that would sound just as good or better at a considerably lower price. The suggestion of paying that much money because of it having his name on it is like walking into the store and bending over. A sucker is born every minute.
    Truth. The Tama SLP dynamic bronze is nearly the same the snare as the Abe Cunningham model, but at a fraction of the cost.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Cool drum, but wow....does Alex look old now, LOL
    haha and you know you're old when after your solo you have fake flames pop up around your gong
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

The only signature thing I’ve gotten were Neil Peart promark sticks. Same price as regular sticks.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I hope someone here knows the answer to this because i've searched every which way with no luck.

Does anyone know who's signature this is on these sticks?

They're new old stock Regal Tip sticks I got from APP before they closed. I love the feel,weight, length and duribility of these. They are wood tip. I bought the last 3 pair they had.

stupid phone posts pic sideways sorry. the bottom stick is just the part that wraps around.

20170914_193227.jpg
    Last edited by slinky; 10-30-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Signature gear has long been a gimmick..................no thanks.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

"A sucker is born every minute."

Actually it's every 2.1634 seconds, but why quibble when they are all around us mixed in with the morons.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Signature gear has long been a gimmick..................no thanks.
    It’s true. I saw the sonor signature Phil Rudd kit and it’s one of their cheapest kits jacked up in price. Also the Phil Collins HH raw bell dry ride. It’s the same exact cymbal. Why charge more for it? Because a machine stamped his “signature” on it?

-Mike

User Info Menu

i was skeptical when the Rudd kit came out... not that they're garbage drums but the $.

Sig stuff should be something that is different. Like the blue bell ride or Appice's lamp shade cymbal
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I bought a pair of Steve Gadd brushes with the 45 degree bent tips. I bought them for the design but one week into using them, Gadd's signature rubbed off on both brushes. I never bought into the hype of a signature piece of gear but if it lends itself into re-inventing the wheel or a start something innovated, I'd definitely check it out.

User Info Menu

I'll take a regular supra no signature stuff for me
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Was close to buying one of these but never pulled the trigger.
    23bc7ab00deaef9251d304c5b328e3e8.jpg

User Info Menu

When we started buying $5.00 tee shirts for $30.00 because it had somebodies name across the front, you know that signature everything was going to follow.

I'm waiting for signature TP and 2x4's. I have never owned a signature anything in my life, and I won't until they pay for the advertising.

User Info Menu

When we started buying $5.00 tee shirts for $30.00 because it had somebodies name across the front, you know that signature everything was going to follow.

I'm waiting for signature TP and 2x4's. I have never owned a signature anything in my life, and I won't until they pay for the advertising.
    30? Every concert I go to here has $50 t shirts. Hoodies are over 100.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    30? Every concert I go to here has $50 t shirts. Hoodies are over 100.
    I was going back 35 years or so. If you pay $50.00 for a tee shirt and/or $100.00 for a hoodie, I would suggest talking to someone.

User Info Menu

Here's my Jimmy Degrasso Signature Snare Jimmy DeGrasso snare2.jpgJimmy DeGrasso snare1.jpg

User Info Menu

^^Very nice funkyruss!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    ^^Very nice funkyruss!
    i second that !
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I love that DeGrasso snare. I’ve been close to pulling the trigger on one a few times.

As for the thread, I guess I don’t have a problem with signature gear as long as the price is in line. I think Sabian does a good job with this. The 22 inch paragon ride doesn’t cost any more than a 22 inch ride of a comparable series. I guess if you like the cymbals or snare, or whatever the item is, it’s worth it.