Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acrylic Shells?

User Info Menu

Default Acrylic Shells?

What does everyone think about acrylic drums? Anyone own a set? Are they hard to tune and are they prone to cracks and scratching? The leader of one of my bands thought it would be a good look for us if I played a clear set, and although I really don't need a 5th acoustic kit(and I already promised the wife that the last one was the LAST one), I did start checking them out and it just so happens that the Tama Silverstar Mirage has had a $150 price reduction at at certain large retailer who I happen to have a credit account with. I feel temptation...

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: Acrylic Shells?

I love the look and sound of acrylic shells but in my opinion, it's high maintenance to keep the shells from getting scratched and the static build up on the surface lends itself to be a dust magnet. The floor tom brackets are where most start to show signs of wear but the modern acrylics are pretty sturdy.

Overtones are an issue on acrylic kits. Most drummers including myself had to use some sort of pillow in the kick to cut down the overtones. I normally play with my kick empty but use kick batter heads with dampening rings attached to the surface such ask the Aquarian SKII or Evans EMAD for tone control issues.

For heads, I used clear Evans EC2 with G1 clear resos and for my acrylic snare, I kept the clear head theme going and used an Evans clear G2. The kick had an Evans EMAD 2.

With or without LED lights, the clear acrylic shells are a show stopper. I owned a '69 Zickos kit but chose not to add a strings of LED lights fearing I'd scratch them up somehow. I chose instead to buy two slim Par64 lights and aimed them on the kit. It didn't take much light to make them look pretty.

Last edited by late8; 11-03-2017 at 08:55 AM.

User Info Menu

Gotta love the look. Great under the lights and definitely unique. I've been told they have more attack than a wood shell, but not as resonate. Not having to worry about water or termites is a plus, too.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Well I'll tell you I love mine and if the leader of one of the bands thinks a clear kit would be some nice eye candy maybe he should go half on a kit and that will take some heat off with the wifey. I have no problem with cracking and tuning isn't bad at all, they are boomy though. I have recently went to clear hydraulics over G1 reso's and the bass drum has a powerstroke 3 batter and a standard emperor with no muffling. You only live once I say you go for it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    Well I'll tell you I love mine and if the leader of one of the bands thinks a clear kit would be some nice eye candy maybe he should go half on a kit and that will take some heat off with the wifey. I have no problem with cracking and tuning isn't bad at all, they are boomy though. I have recently went to clear hydraulics over G1 reso's and the bass drum has a powerstroke 3 batter and a standard emperor with no muffling. You only live once I say you go for it.
    Wow! That's nice!!

User Info Menu

They do tend to be "louder" in a way. But harsher as well. I have a 70s Fibes set that I've kept to have a weather impervious alternetive to my maple set.
    Cracking has never been an issue but scratches and, as mentioned, dust, do accumulate. They are more one dimensional sound-wise. IMO wood drums sound much better and are more versatile.
    Although you can get them to sound OK for most applications, I'd have to ask: which is more important, Looks or sound?
    I guess it's up to you and the band leader to prioritize.

User Info Menu

From a "band in a live show" perspective, I'd say that looks and image is more important than the quality or sound character (for the drum kit, anyway). 99.999% of the audience at a live show couldn't care less what the drums sound like in terms of tonal character. To them, they just sound like drums, LOL. The other .0001% are other drummers that happen to be in the crowd. Everyone, however, will notice and remember an awesome LOOKING drum kit. It's just a sad fact of life for the working musician.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    From a "band in a live show" perspective, I'd say that looks and image is more important than the quality or sound character (for the drum kit, anyway). 99.999% of the audience at a live show couldn't care less what the drums sound like in terms of tonal character. To them, they just sound like drums, LOL. The other .0001% are other drummers that happen to be in the crowd. Everyone, however, will notice and remember an awesome LOOKING drum kit. It's just a sad fact of life for the working musician.
    You are so right, all the time we spend getting our drums to sound perfect, and this cymbal this and this cymbal that, most of the people hear DRUMS, I guess it's our self gratification that matters.

User Info Menu

I think the sound of the drums certainly makes a difference in the overall production. I definitely strive for the sound that I want out front...one that fits my bands music, instrumentation, style, etc.. I think it's a big part of what gives my band its personality. I just don't think the majority of the audience realizes it.
    We just started playing a venue that mic's everything. The sound guy always cranks up the drums and has the toms and kick drum so loud that the whole place vibrates. It completely throws me off. Trying to play with feeling and dynamics is pointless (and impossible). That's great for hard rock, but not exactly the sound I want for Bluegrass, Blues & Rockabilly, LOL. Before we play there again in 2 weeks, I'm gonna stop in and talk to him about our sound. We'll see what happens.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderjig View Post
    if the leader of one of the bands thinks a clear kit would be some nice eye candy maybe he should go half on a kit
    HaHa...I was thinking the same thing. Actually, if he thinks its such an outstanding idea he should foot the bill for the whole thing. How receptive would he or anyone else in the band be to being told what personal equipment to buy? Phhht!

User Info Menu

Actually, his proposition was if I got a set of acrylics, he would give me a whole set of mics for them(he owns a microphone company and a set of his top of the line drum mics costs almost as much as the kit). I saw a used Fibes clear set at GC this weekend, and they were in great shape for their age. I've decided though that I can't justify(even to myself) getting another kit.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Great post Brian and in my opinion you're 100% right. Take Eric Singer's kit for example; one would expect something like on stage for KISS.

d19320e6d16708b61dfcb8fde993e21e-1200-80.jpg

d8b7b79d86019b9c78722f61caa1b6e9.jpg

User Info Menu

Sorry, but to me music is not as much a visual medium as an aural one. I suppose if you're in an "over the top" act like a Kiss or maybe a Motley Crue type outfit then that's another story. If it's a serious musical group, of any genre, then it's all sound. My idea of a good show is watching musical geniuses astound me with their virtuoso performances.
    But I'm an old guy who isn't into explosions and strobes etc on stage...so, what do I know.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Sorry, but to me music is not as much a visual medium as an aural one. I suppose if you're in an "over the top" act like a Kiss or maybe a Motley Crue type outfit then that's another story. If it's a serious musical group, of any genre, then it's all sound. My idea of a good show is watching musical geniuses astound me with their virtuoso performances.
    But I'm an old guy who isn't into explosions and strobes etc on stage...so, what do I know.
    Good point noreastbob. In my opinion, there's always those who can do bring both visual and aural dynamics to the stage such as Mike Potnoy. He used a huge Tama Mirage acrylic kit back in the Dream Theater days.

1194222814_2.jpg

User Info Menu

I may have mentioned this before...but remember a very cool drummer back in the mid Seventies with a Custom multi colored acrylic set that had lights inside that would flash each time he hit the drum...he used it on some songs where there was a drum solo or extended run. It was very cool.
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Just bumping this up since I mentioned this issue at the top of this thread. I found a fairly new Pearl Crystal Beat on CL showing signs of spider cracks around the floor tom leg bracket. If this was my kit, I'd be pissed.

00E0E_4qsSMX5sjXB_1200x900.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Just bumping this up since I mentioned this issue at the top of this thread. I found a fairly new Pearl Crystal Beat on CL showing signs of spider cracks around the floor tom leg bracket. If this was my kit, I'd be pissed.

00E0E_4qsSMX5sjXB_1200x900.jpg
    That's a big problem Crush drum company was having, I have a 14 x 7 Clear acrylic Crush snare and it has spiderwebbing near 75 percent of the 20 lugs

User Info Menu

So, a guy in a Tama group on Facebook posted that a major retailer had a sale on the Tama Mirage kit for $699!! I only have so much willpower. I was able to use a coupon to get an additional $20 off. I will post pics when they arrive.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Hope you like them for more than their looks. I played a 9 piece Fibes kit for years and grew tired of the tone and timbre of the drums. They actually sounded synthetic to me. I still have them in case I have to play under water. Hopefully they assist you and your band in the quest for visual showmanship.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 03-11-2018 at 09:23 AM.

User Info Menu

This is now my 5th acoustic kit. I have consciously picked kits of different wood species(ash, poplar\maple, birch and maple) and now acrylic to have a variety of sounds to choose from based on what is appropriate for a particular gig. With the right heads(more dampening) I am confident I will get a sound I love out of these.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I believe that Pearl has a 2 year warranty on Crystal Beats to the original owner of their drums.
    So if you can find your old sales slip...
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

Pearl does have 2 year warranty. I was surprised cause most Pearl products have lifetime warranties except the Pearl Crystal beats

User Info Menu

I've always wanted a full acrylic kit.
    I have several acrylic snare drums.. I will have to look at them closer tonight for any spider cracking.

User Info Menu

Got the notification that they're arriving Tuesday. Already ordered new heads. I plan to use the kit for a gig on the 25th, so I need to get them dialed in quickly.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

There is a video on YouTube on how to tune acrylic toms from a guy named Kenny Sharretts dated 11/2/16 not sure how good it is or will help.
    Conrad