Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts

User Info Menu

Default Re: Thoughts

hey Brian what makes a convertible heavy? I thought it'd be the opposite.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

When you cut the roof off, you have to add more stuff to strengthen other parts of the car to make it safe.
    The reason for this is all the hardware required for the convertible retraction mechanism and the connection hardware and the fact that the chassis has to be more heavily reinforced to prevent convertible-common body flex. Windshield is also heavier.
    Just my 2 cents.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    When you cut the roof off, you have to add more stuff to strengthen other parts of the car to make it safe.
    The reason for this is all the hardware required for the convertible retraction mechanism and the connection hardware and the fact that the chassis has to be more heavily reinforced to prevent convertible-common body flex. Windshield is also heavier.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Yep, that's pretty much exactly it. You take away 200Lbs of sheet metal, but add another 400-600Lbs of chassis reinforcement to keep it rigid (and safe). If you cut the roof off a regular sedan, the doors wouldn't open, LOL. Not sure what the exact weight difference is on the 2017 Stang, but probably 200-300Lbs more. Doesn't sound like much, but it definitely makes a difference you can feel. Especially when you're talking relatively low HP & Torque.
    It doesn't help that the V6 has no low RPM torque and the rental cars probably have 3.15:1 gearing as well.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

that's pretty cool I never knew any of that.

I also learned from Scott that whenever a car with t-tops like my 87 Firebird is raised on a rack I need to take out the t-tops first due to the body flex that could crack the tops. Were in the process of getting it road ready. We took out the 305 and found a Chevy 400 that was rebuilt with good stuff but nothing over the top no radical cam etc. But it'll be more fun.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I had a 77 Mustang with t-tops years ago. I always left them in when I raised the front or back up. If I took them out, the body would flex enough that the doors would stick. I've never worried about the tops breaking.
    I think as long as you lift from the wheels or suspension, it's no different than the forces the car would experience under normal driving. If you lift from the bumpers, however, that's a different story.

That's one of the reasons I avoid convertibles or t-top cars. Chassis flex is detrimental to proper handling, cornering and off-the-line traction. One thing that will help a uni-body car tremendously is to install full-length subframe connectors.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

here's some pics of the old and new engines for my Firebird.

the locked up 305
    thumbnail (4).jpg

and the Chevy 400 which is taking it's place
    thumbnail (2).jpg

thumbnail (1).jpg

I wanted to keep the original 305 in storage to keep with the car but nowhere to put it and it was a partial trade for the 400
    Last edited by slinky; 12-07-2017 at 09:22 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Slinky is that a short stroke 400 with the blue block if it is I had one in my 78 GMC pick up and it had a lot of torque and power best GM engine I ever had.

User Info Menu

Slinky, looks like you got what I was given when my Ford was in the shop for warranty issues after owning it new for a week; 2.3 liter Ford Eco-Boost with the 3.55 limited slip diff?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    Slinky is that a short stroke 400 with the blue block if it is I had one in my 78 GMC pick up and it had a lot of torque and power best GM engine I ever had.
    it is a short block 400. I had a 400 in my 76 van and you're right about the torque. I could fill the van up and have no loss of power going up hill.

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Slinky, looks like you got what I was given when my Ford was in the shop for warranty issues after owning it new for a week; 2.3 liter Ford Eco-Boost with the 3.55 limited slip diff?
    sounds beefy Rich. This car has no posi but were kicking around the idea of changing that... but... we'll see most likely will not change the gear... I mean sooner or later I'll need to put a cap on expenses. Would love to have it though
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

If I remember right, didn't you have a Borg Warner T5 that you were gonna put behind that motor? Not sure you'll want too much traction. That small block 400 will probably make enough torque to grenade a T5, LOL.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

My neighbour has just bought a new Mustang but I think it's an Ecoboost model & not the V8. Looks superb He constantly berates me about my "Spin Dryer".................

22310488_10155198826983869_3819336082260830680_n by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.