Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My wife's gonna kill me

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default My wife's gonna kill me

I didn't consult her when I bought this used DW Collector's 14x16" Redwood Stump floor tom on auction today. $469.99+tax or $507 out the door.

Nothing's gonna save me on this one since I pulled this same stunt when I bought $750 worth of K cymbals last year without telling her so here are my weak excuses. If you guys have more suggestions (reasons why) I'd be most grateful....

• I did save $50.00 on shipping (but driving 5 hours round trip to pick it up)
    • It's made from a 100 year old Redwood stump (very rare)
    • It will round out the kit (lacking a floor tom)
    • It's my last drum purchase.

6_zps0dgw6j9x.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: My wife's gonna kill me

Nice drum, but if we don't hear from you after a few days, we know what happened lol
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I didn't consult her when I bought this used DW Collector's 14x16" Redwood Stump floor tom on auction today. $469.99+tax or $507 out the door.

Nothing's gonna save me on this one since I pulled this same stunt when I bought $750 worth of K cymbals last year without telling her so here are my weak excuses. If you guys have more suggestions (reasons why) I'd be most grateful....

• I did save $50.00 on shipping (but driving 5 hours round trip to pick it up)
    • It's made from a 100 year old Redwood stump (very rare)
    • It will round out the kit (lacking a floor tom)
    • It's my last drum purchase.

6_zps0dgw6j9x.jpg

• "What drum?"

User Info Menu

The first 3 are pretty good, but number 4 will come back to bite you on the *** next time you find something you can't pass up!

User Info Menu

Redwood is awesome. And it burns good too. That's important....because you may may need something to keep you warm at night when you sleep in the dog house....
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That's Exotic Redwood Stump veneer over a maple Collectors shell most likely. It could be a birch, mahogany, maple/mahogany or even oak, but the redwood stump is veneer. My 7pc kit is that finish. Awesome is it not?
    I think there are pictures of my set deep in the DW thread. I had Mr Goode and Louis in the finish department help me create a custom reddish brown burst color. I don't think I'm equipped to post pics at the moment so I'll see if I can find it on the other thread.

User Info Menu

Late8, I don't know how to move the picture from the DW thread to here, but if you're interested in seeing a whole redwood stump kit, it's post #2345 on page 94 of the DW drums sticky.

User Info Menu

The wife can be replaced!

User Info Menu

There, but for the grace of divorce papers, go I.

Rich, Why didn't you leave it in the trunk of your car, bring it in when she went out, run with it till you reached all of the other drums that your not supposed to have, hide it in the middle of said drums, don't touch it for 6 months, then, and only then, say " Hey Hon, look what I found mixed in with all the other stuff. I bought this about 10 years ago and totally forgot about it".

Keep in mind that I got my Vette past wife #2 by telling her I was picking up a old Chevy to putz around with. That worked right up to when she saw the car. I slept on my stomach for 3-4 months after that.

User Info Menu

"Honey here is a $500 gift card to your favorite store".

Argument averted.

User Info Menu

A wise man once told me, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" . He was also a drummer.

User Info Menu

Sometimes the punishment is commensurate with the crime.

User Info Menu

Gorgeous drum, just tell her it normally costs $900 and you were lucky to get it before the guy figured it out, then maybe volunteer to cook dinner and do the dishes : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

yeah never lie with the "it's my last drum"

I once told my wife "it's my last snare drum" and then 10 more showed up... crazy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Nice drum, but if we don't hear from you after a few days, we know what happened lol
    Thanks DrumWhipper! Send out a search party if you don't see me posting!

Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    "What drum?"
    Hahaha...Amnesia?

Quote Originally Posted by hippychip View Post
    The first 3 are pretty good, but number 4 will come back to bite you on the *** next time you find something you can't pass up!
    hippychip, you got a point on #4...I used that one on the K cymbals last year (sighs)....

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Redwood is awesome. And it burns good too. That's important....because you may may need something to keep you warm at night when you sleep in the dog house....
    I knew it! Me and the drum could easily turn into kindling if I don't handle this the right way. I can just hear her say'n "Hand me the lighter" as I sleep with one eye open...

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    That's Exotic Redwood Stump veneer over a maple Collectors shell most likely. It could be a birch, mahogany, maple/mahogany or even oak, but the redwood stump is veneer. My 7pc kit is that finish. Awesome is it not?
    I think there are pictures of my set deep in the DW thread. I had Mr Goode and Louis in the finish department help me create a custom reddish brown burst color. I don't think I'm equipped to post pics at the moment so I'll see if I can find it on the other thread.
    Wow! I didn't know the other plys were made up from a combo of other woods. Thanks for sharing that bit of info Bob!

Late8, I don't know how to move the picture from the DW thread to here, but if you're interested in seeing a whole redwood stump kit, it's post #2345 on page 94 of the DW drums sticky.
    Holy smokes man...You got the whole "enchilada"? I'll check it out and repost the pics here. Thanks for the heads up!

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    The wife can be replaced!
    You're my hero! Spoken like a true warrior that you are...

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There, but for the grace of divorce papers, go I.

Rich, Why didn't you leave it in the trunk of your car, bring it in when she went out, run with it till you reached all of the other drums that your not supposed to have, hide it in the middle of said drums, don't touch it for 6 months, then, and only then, say " Hey Hon, look what I found mixed in with all the other stuff. I bought this about 10 years ago and totally forgot about it".

Keep in mind that I got my Vette past wife #2 by telling her I was picking up a old Chevy to putz around with. That worked right up to when she saw the car. I slept on my stomach for 3-4 months after that.
    Rick, you're the MAN! In my defense, I could plead... "Well...at least it ain't a Vette!

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    "Honey here is a $500 gift card to your favorite store".

Argument averted.
    Randy, you're a genius but I painted myself into a corner on this one. I forgot that Christmas is right around the corner (yeah right) and man it doesn't look good that I went out an splurged on myself before thinking of anybody else but I was bloated with "G.A.S" and I needed some relief.

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    A wise man once told me, "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission" . He was also a drummer.
    I used that one on my K cymbals last year. It didn't go over very well. I'm going to be in the dog house for a while but hey, I'm still a drummer...

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Sometimes the punishment is commensurate with the crime.
    Very apropos for this thread! Thanks Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Gorgeous drum, just tell her it normally costs $900 and you were lucky to get it before the guy figured it out, then maybe volunteer to cook dinner and do the dishes : )
    Awesome! Yes, that's a great idea! "Honey...looked how much I saved!" as the I duck out of the way of her left hook. Seriously, thank you...I will use the MSRP over "the used goods" approach.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah never lie with the "it's my last drum"

I once told my wife "it's my last snare drum" and then 10 more showed up... crazy
    Spaz...you got eight awesome kits, tons of cymbals, 41 snares and counting plus a 500+ hp tricked out race car and I'm all ears. Thanks for the advice...

User Info Menu

IMO, don't try so hard to be deceitful. I sat on my couch playing a new (to me) Taylor acoustic guitar for two weeks before wife says "is that a new guitar?"

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    IMO, don't try so hard to be deceitful. I sat on my couch playing a new (to me) Taylor acoustic guitar for two weeks before wife says "is that a new guitar?"

all the best...
    Thanks kay-gee! Wow a Taylor guitar? Nice!

User Info Menu

Ok...I found noreastbob's beautifully made DW Collector's Redwood Stump kit in the DW drum thread and after seeing it and as crazy as it sounds, I want one too! (deadman walking). The burst on Bob's kit is just breath taking.

1.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Ok...I found noreastbob's beautifully made DW Collector's Redwood Stump kit in the DW drum thread and after seeing it and as crazy as it sounds, I want one too! (deadman walking). The burst on Bob's kit is just breath taking.

1.jpg
    That pic doesn't even remotely do justice to the burst. One of the amazing things about the redwood stump veneer is how it looks different in different light. Take that drum outside in the bright sunlight and it will turn a glowing golden color.
    The other thing I love about that finish is how there is quilting in both vertical and horizontal directions.
    The main plies beneath the veneer are most probably all maple.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 11-08-2017 at 10:05 AM. Reason: complete the thought

User Info Menu

This is the kit that I'm adding the floor tom to. Quick back story- it's a 2007 Collector's Twisted Exotic and sat on the show room floor for nearly 10 years at the mom and pops music store where I shop. I thought about that kit a lot as the years went by and one day I walked in and found it steeply discounted from $7,200 down to $2,300 + tax but the lack of a floor tom made me a little leery on pulling the trigger and I thought I wouldn't miss not having a floor tom (wrong).

right_front_zpsssdjtrtd.jpg

I know the DW Redwood Stump veneer won't match the rest of the kit and I'm not a fan of mix matching shells (OCD) but the desire to have the low rumble from a floor tom was too great. As a long shot, I called DW to see if they had veneers that could match my kit but the closest thing they had was too far off and the expense of making a "one off" floor tom would of made it too costly. I've been using a 16" roto tom to fill the void but it's not doing it for me.

8C47E666-D844-47E9-A5B7-99B8BA2D777B_zpsurt03ccq.jpg

My next idea was to wrap my vintage Ludwig kit with a wrap that looked close to the Twisted Exotic veneer so I could sneak the 16" floor tom into the DW kit but the glue I used gassed up in pockets and lifted the wrap and made the Ludwig floor tom virtually impossible to use. So now, I found a solution. It's not going to match but I'm more interested in the sound at this point in the grand scheme of things.

66911D98-0819-44A2-BEE4-CE7A0DA67A6F_zpsz5n0ybt9.jpg

3E6100A6-5867-4606-A455-7434D25AB7B8_zpsq4wb2fdq.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 11-08-2017 at 09:47 AM.

User Info Menu

We're gonna have to change you forum name to "THE Late8" if you keep this up.

Besides enjoying playing, one of the nice things about being in a steady gigging band is the added income (as little as it may be). I'm able to save up to finance my GAS and not effect our normal household finances...for the most part. Every so often, I'll pull out a $50 bill to help "make ends meet" and make sure it's known that the money came from a gig.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Another option is to send your twisted kit to DW and have them replace the veneer with redwood stump. You have other kits for the interim. It would likely take a while and incur substantial $$$$$$$$. but.......ahhhhhhhh.

User Info Menu

That pic doesn't even remotely do justice to the burst. One of the amazing things about the redwood stump veneer is how it looks different in different light. Take that drum outside in the bright sunlight and it will turn a glowing golden color.
    The other thing I love about that finish is how there is quilting in both vertical and horizontal directions.
    The main plies beneath the veneer are most probably all maple.
    Bob, I can only imagine how your kit looks in person but I know it sounds as good as it looks!

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    We're gonna have to change you forum name to "THE Late8" if you keep this up.

Besides enjoying playing, one of the nice things about being in a steady gigging band is the added income (as little as it may be). I'm able to save up to finance my GAS and not effect our normal household finances...for the most part. Every so often, I'll pull out a $50 bill to help "make ends meet" and make sure it's known that the money came from a gig.
    The Late8 it is lol! Yep, I miss the gig money.

As a side note, I sold three of my seven kits earlier this year to help out my oldest son on his wedding expenses. It was difficult to do but I felt I had nothing else to "give" him besides love and some fatherly advice. Collectively, the kits fetched $1,500 and the look on my son's face when I handed him the money was priceless. I'd do it all over again in a heartbeat. I've been real good about my GAS so hopefully the good deed I did earlier this year will get me a "pass" this time around???

Another option is to send your twisted kit to DW and have them replace the veneer with redwood stump. You have other kits for the interim. It would likely take a while and incur substantial $$$$$$$$. but.......ahhhhhhhh.
    Now Bob, that's a great idea if I were Bish but man, that would cost me a mint! I'll keep my eye out for other opportunities. I've seen DW Collector's Redwood Stump snares out there ranging from $650-$750. I've yet to see toms or kicks for sale but I might be able to piece a kit together someday?

User Info Menu

Congratulations Rich.........................and there is a lot of advice here.....................some of it almost good.
    I feel lucky every day that I bought shells forty years ago that I still like to use.
    So all the GAS goes to snares and cymbals..................the wife can't keep up with those as well.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Congratulations Rich.........................and there is a lot of advice here.....................some of it almost good.
    I feel lucky every day that I bought shells forty years ago that I still like to use.
    So all the GAS goes to snares and cymbals..................the wife can't keep up with those as well.
    Thanks Ricky! I feel lucky to have my "bread and butter" Gretsch USA Customs in Ebony Transparent gloss. I never feel the need to add, subtract, change or modify that kit. As far as the DW's are concerned, my disappointment apparently was more than I imagined in not having a floor tom. I don't think I've stopped searching for a solution to make the DW whole or complete to my ears; there was always something "missing".

C62CB095-A83F-434D-878C-6605E2BD002B_zpskrorouze.jpg