Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My wife's gonna kill me

User Info Menu

Default Re: My wife's gonna kill me

I guess I always assumed one of the DW toms was of "floor tom size" without the floor tom legs......................sounds like that is not the case.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I mean, I'm over here rocking my mid-grade Mapex kit, and you guys are making me jealous lol. I do love my kit, though. My next upgrade is cymbals. I want to get a more "professional grade" set.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

say Picasso did the artwork .... might work
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I guess I always assumed one of the DW toms was of "floor tom size" without the floor tom legs......................sounds like that is not the case.
    Yes, that's right. It's a 11x14" rack tom. Apparently, John Good decided to outfit a whole production run of kits aimed at the "fusion" crowd. I don't know why but he grouped these kits with rack toms only which forced me to hang the 14" tom down low to fill the void.

I took a 5 1/2 hour road trip to Fresno yesterday afternoon and picked up the floor tom at one of the only "drums only" stores in my neck of the woods, Bentley's Drum Shop. I know you paid them a visit when you took your trip to Napa a few years ago right? We don't have a store like this in Sacramento and it truly was an eye-opener when I walked in.

41A7F33C-2CFE-4953-959C-480CED04185E_zpssgbr8zm8.jpg

Gretsch was prominently displayed right up front and it was obvious the owner is a huge fan of the company. I saw more Gretsch kits than any other company on the showroom floor. It felt like I died and went to heaven.

BF1380A7-FB7D-4642-9663-ADD9312E4BBF_zpsugnoxgdt.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I mean, I'm over here rocking my mid-grade Mapex kit, and you guys are making me jealous lol. I do love my kit, though. My next upgrade is cymbals. I want to get a more "professional grade" set.
    Your Mapex kit rocks DrumWhipper! The hunt for the right combination of cymbals is always the challenge for me and I felt overwhelmed went I walked over to this shop's cymbal section. Holy smokes!

DDAD9C47-8E53-40F9-A36D-4F82C620868C_zpsfrjqtabb.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    say Picasso did the artwork .... might work.
    Wasn't he the painter that cut his own ear off? Man slinky, don't give my wife any ideas brother lol!
    Last edited by late8; 11-09-2017 at 11:39 AM.

User Info Menu

I met the owner Dana. He's a very friendly guy and was impressed I made the long drive to his shop from Sacramento.

940B5E5D-0121-4BCA-99B8-5C2CCB4B5F94_zpsdoqwmsl2.jpg

There were a few DW kits stacked up right next to the front door and you couldn't miss them as you walked in.

90C4BFFD-1ACE-4238-B82D-CBC10B711D41_zpslofkytpt.jpg

I went straight to my buddy's home studio after leaving the drum shop and swapped out the 2-ply batter head for a single ply stock DW head.

E3E1A2D0-6659-435D-A972-D78D95AA031F_zpsgnnzifze.jpg

With the flash from my phone:

8F7B0D28-3482-4718-A574-8A869D18B883_zpstt3brr6w.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 11-09-2017 at 09:10 AM.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, on a dark stage, the mismatch will go unnoticed.

A2596C11-D7FA-4DF1-B06F-52B077179CCD_zpsdj3sj2ef.jpg

My first impression of the tone from the floor tom was...WOW! Not too boomy like the 16x16" floor toms I'm used to hearing. I'm totally satisfied with this purchase and I now have some bottom end. I need to swap the black multi-clamp with a chrome one but the kit is pretty much dialed in.

C5BCA76C-1ADD-4732-AF00-CBF05EEF42D8_zpsc0kr5qql.jpg

User Info Menu

"the mismatch will go unnoticed."

Let us hope that the mismatch from your wife will also go unnoticed. I guess it all comes down to where she relocates 1 of your drumsticks.

As a side note, where the hell is Bish?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "the mismatch will go unnoticed."

Let us hope that the mismatch from your wife will also go unnoticed. I guess it all comes down to where she relocates 1 of your drumsticks.

As a side note, where the hell is Bish?
    hahaha! That's pretty funny! Where's Bish? I don't know. He literally gave up on gigging and had a fire sale on all of that new gear he just bought. I remember reading his "Swan Song" thread.

User Info Menu

Yeah, where's Bish?
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    Yeah, where's Bish?
    I sent him a PM about snares a few weeks back and hadn't heard back. I was wondering where he was and how he was doing as well.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

I hope the wife doesn't notice the mismatch or it just might be your last drum purchase LOL. Beautiful drum my friend enjoy.
    Mapex Saturn flat black maple burl. 2 up 2 down. Mapex black panther black widow snare,Ludwig Acrolite,Ludwig Supraphonic,Tama SLP power maple.

User Info Menu

Beautiful drum, but the mismatch would make me crazy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Yes, that's right. It's a 11x14" rack tom. Apparently, John Good decided to outfit a whole production run of kits aimed at the "fusion" crowd. I don't know why but he grouped these kits with rack toms only which forced me to hang the 14" tom down low to fill the void.

I took a 5 1/2 hour road trip to Fresno yesterday afternoon and picked up the floor tom at one of the only "drums only" stores in my neck of the woods, Bentley's Drum Shop. I know you paid them a visit when you took your trip to Napa a few years ago right? We don't have a store like this in Sacramento and it truly was an eye-opener when I walked in.

41A7F33C-2CFE-4953-959C-480CED04185E_zpssgbr8zm8.jpg

Gretsch was prominently displayed right up front and it was obvious the owner is a huge fan of the company. I saw more Gretsch kits than any other company on the showroom floor. It felt like I died and went to heaven.

BF1380A7-FB7D-4642-9663-ADD9312E4BBF_zpsugnoxgdt.jpg

Your Mapex kit rocks DrumWhipper! The hunt for the right combination of cymbals is always the challenge for me and I felt overwhelmed went I walked over to this shop's cymbal section. Holy smokes!

DDAD9C47-8E53-40F9-A36D-4F82C620868C_zpsfrjqtabb.jpg

Wasn't he the painter that cut his own ear off? Man slinky, don't give my wife any ideas brother lol!
    Hey late! I just ordered a Mapex 7X13 maple Black Panther Blaster snare drum from that same store! I didn't realize until after I ordered that it was the same store.

User Info Menu

That's like putting a alcoholic in a liquor store.

User Info Menu

That would be an alcoholic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vlopez1130 View Post
    I hope the wife doesn't notice the mismatch or it just might be your last drum purchase LOL. Beautiful drum my friend enjoy.
    Thanks man. I haven't told her yet. I don't have the guts; too busy having fun at the studio. Made some modifications. Extended the 11x14" rack tom closer towards the snare:

DF84968D-E732-4AE9-AE9D-04FC6A383AC7_zpskwlyvbly.jpg

Here's how it looks from out front:

6BF4C54D-5390-4617-B113-E9CB038BFC6E_zpsc0nozh4c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Beautiful drum, but the mismatch would make me crazy.
    Yeah, it drives me nuts too but I don't have to look at it everyday. The kit's 45 minutes away at my buddy's home studio. It will be a "garage queen". We've been recording with the new tom all weekend and it sounds great; fit's in the sonic range of the other shell's very nicely. We had to make a slight adjustment on one of the overhead mics and aimed it more towards the floor tom:

4BD74282-C0D0-49D2-B107-E5A70A5CEC9B_zpsjxvzmzjs.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Hey late! I just ordered a Mapex 7X13 maple Black Panther Blaster snare drum from that same store! I didn't realize until after I ordered that it was the same store.
    Cool!! Congrats!! They had a big pile of empty boxes behind the store. Was that from all your new stuff you've been buying lately?

9684F0EF-C126-4F54-9C70-155823DBB52B_zps7oamql3t.jpg
    It was a very "sobering" feeling to walk along the isle and realize it was the stuff I really don't need (right now).

Bravo! Well played...
    Last edited by late8; 11-13-2017 at 10:33 AM.

User Info Menu

Ok...here's how I handled it with the wife:

User Info Menu

Smart man!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Smart man!
    Let's hope so...

User Info Menu

The "....." at the end is a little scary. Like waiting for the fuse to burn down. Personally, I'd rather see "!" Or better yet ""
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Ok...here's how I handled it with the wife:

Assuming your wife doesn't know the value of your drums, I suggest listing that kit at about $1500. If it sells, great - you just made out like a bandit. If not, then " I guess the economy just isn't good right now but I'm trying honey"...

Tex

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Texdrumr View Post
    Assuming your wife doesn't know the value of your drums, I suggest listing that kit at about $1500. If it sells, great - you just made out like a bandit. If not, then " I guess the economy just isn't good right now but I'm trying honey"...

Tex
    lol!! Brilliant idea Randy! Thanks buddy!

User Info Menu

It appears that both are acceptable depending on how 1 interprets the sound of a vowel or a consonant.

User Info Menu

Sold the Pearl kit on Sunday and handed my wife $540 along with the receipt for the floor tom and explained to her the circumstances of the purchase. She was pissed for a few hours but I know if I didn't have any cash in my hand, the outcome would of been bad. She got over it.

I got really lucky and found a drummer who had been out of the drumming scene for 20 years and he wanted to get back into drumming, specifically double bass drumming and my double bass kit was the only one up on CL. It was a 2 hour road trip.

He didn't really care for the color but nonetheless, it was the double kick set up he was more interested in buying.

I threw in every Pearl tom holder I had including the old RIMS mounting system for.........wait for it.............

$375 (big sigh)

91E4ABFF-5FE1-4D01-8B35-C82C2EC08E12_zpsih3ljw9q.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 11-20-2017 at 11:09 AM.

User Info Menu

I might consider sleeping on my stomach till at least after New Years day.