Thread: Big Gig tonight

User Info Menu

Default Big Gig tonight

When I took up drumming 11 years ago one of my long range goals was to play a local sports bar that has a reputation for good bands. I am playing that bar tonight wooo hooo wish me luck!
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Big Gig tonight

Good Luck and knock 'em dead.

User Info Menu

Good luck! Congrats on reaching one of your goals. Keep making new ones and striving to achieve them!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Thanks guys, we had a blast last night.. Now on to the goal of playing the world famous Bentley's Saloon in Arundel, ME. Bentley's is a place where you know your music is tight because you do not have to bring a crowd, there is always at least 200-300 people there during the summer. Not sure if this will work..https://www.facebook.com/kimberly.pr...5838296861788/
    Last edited by MDK; 11-19-2017 at 07:34 AM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Congrats on accomplishing one of your goals. It's a very good feeling.

User Info Menu

That's awesome. I think it's important for a band to set goals. Keeps everyone focused...
    My band had the almost same scenario on Friday night.
    It feels so great when you really "nail it" for a big gig, but when you also accomplish it as a goal, it becomes really special. It helps form a bond between all the band members. It strengthens the comradery and builds confidence. All that leads to a tighter, better band overall.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

So one thing that has been kind of eating at me since this gig

We started at 8:30pm till 12:30 pm with 2 20 minute breaks. They did a raffle for toys for tots benefit that took about 15 minutes. We had a decent crowd but by midnight most had left and just a few dedicated drinkers were left (maybe 8)..so at 12:22 our lead singer says that was our last song for the night we are going to let these hard working people close up and call it a night (refering to bartender, waitresses, and bouncers etc.) I walked off the stage and the guitar player was talking to manager who said we are fine but if you want to call it an early night then we will chalk up the last 8 minutes to an equipment malfunction??

The guitar player said ok and I was like OH hell no I am not doing that so I called everyone back up and we did 2 more songs and finished at 12:33..I thought it was kind of nit picky for him to call us on the last 8 minutes but we did commit to 12:30 so whatever. What do you think?

We only got paid $400 and are committed to one more show on December 16th but after that it is going to be $500 or forget it. They charge a $5 cover and sell alot of booze and food. We only agreed to the $400 to get our foot in the door but now that we have been there done that it is gonna be worth it from now on, plus we have other gigs that pay us $500
    Last edited by MDK; 11-20-2017 at 10:08 AM.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    So one thing that has been kind of eating at me since this gig

We started at 8:30pm till 12:30 pm with 2 20 minute breaks. They did a raffle for toys for tots benefit that took about 15 minutes. We had a decent crowd but by midnight most had left and just a few dedicated drinkers were left (maybe 8)..so at 12:22 our lead singer says that was our last song for the night we are going to let these hard working people close up and call it a night (refering to bartender, waitresses, and bouncers etc.) I walked off the stage and the guitar player was talking to manager who said we are fine but if you want to call it an early night then we will chalk up the last 8 minutes to an equipment malfunction??

The guitar player said ok and I was like OH hell no I am not doing that so I called everyone back up and we did 2 more songs and finished at 12:33..I thought it was kind of nit picky for him to call us on the last 8 minutes but we did commit to 12:30 so whatever. What do you think?

We only got paid $400 and are committed to one more show on December 16th but after that it is going to be $500 or forget it. They charge a $5 cover and sell alot of booze and food. We only agreed to the $400 to get our foot in the door but now that we have been there done that it is gonna be worth it from now on, plus we have other gigs that pay us $500
    When I was gigging bars and clubs we never finished early and honored the terms of the contract. Sometimes, we would go passed our agreed time and the bartender was usually good for at least a few more songs if the joint was hopping and we would end our last set within 15 minutes of the "last call" announcement so the guys in the band could get a cold one before we start packing up.

User Info Menu

I found out over the weekend the new band I am in has been asked to play the King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena, Arkansas next October. This is a really big deal for us with our lead guitarist not only being from Helena, but being in the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. This is a huge honor for us.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    I found out over the weekend the new band I am in has been asked to play the King Biscuit Blues Festival in Helena, Arkansas next October. This is a really big deal for us with our lead guitarist not only being from Helena, but being in the Rockabilly Hall of Fame. This is a huge honor for us.
    WOW that's awesome bud
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I stay pretty close to our gig schedule. If we get a late start due to equipment issues, we always play later than the agreed time by the same duration. We also adjust to the crowd. If we're scheduled to play 8-12 and there's only a few people there at 8:00, I always ask the owner if they want us to play 9-1. If we play until 12 and there are people still listening, we'll get permission from the owner to play longer. We'll play until we can't physically play anymore...as long as people are enjoying our music.
    FWIW- we typically get $420 and split it 6 ways. That's about the going rate for a band around here. If you try to charge a cover, no one shows up. There's a few bands that charge $500-$700+ but they are extremely limited in the places and events they can play. It takes a fair amount of beer sales to pay for a $400 band and make any profit. The general rule is $1000 of bar sales just to break even on a $400 band.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

We get $400 and split it also.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DrumWhipper View Post
    We get $400 and split it also.
    Yep, it was $400 for us too, split evenly between 4 guys.

User Info Menu

The going rate around here also starts around $400. We have successfully negotiated up to $500 after a few gigs with a good draw. This is at places that don't charge a cover. There are many places that have a cover and pay the band the door, and if there are multiple bands then they ask each person who they are there to see and keep track of how many came for each band and pay the bands accordingly. That's a little dicey because you are then relying on a bar employee to keep an honest count. With 6 members in a band, it's hard for each of us to walk away with a lot of cash, but we're not in it for the money. $100 a man is considered a good night, but most venues will balk at that unless you're a proven draw. There are bands that make a lot more than that but it's a select few.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones: