Thread: 80's Ludwig or 80's Tama

User Info Menu

Default 80's Ludwig or 80's Tama

Should I go for a massive 80's (or maybe 90's) Ludwig-kit or try to track down a Tama Superstar-kit from the 80's?
    I think that the Ludwig kit are Rockers (not sure though, I'll get more info next tuesday.

Thoughts?

Pic of Ludwigs: actual kit
    Pic of Tama: only for reference
    Attached Images Attached Images
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Default Re: 80's Ludwig or 80's Tama

Oh my. That Ludwig set looks amazing.

I don’t know if I would be comfortable playing with the rack toms that high, but it would sure look awesome.

I would probably go with the Ludwig, assuming that you have been able to put your hands on it already. I think that the purple stain looks great.

User Info Menu

Looks like a classic Ludwig kit to me. Rockers had lugs like the "standard" series...or tube lugs.

No question in my mind. Ludwigs for the win.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Ludwig but I'm biased ...

That Ludwig kit might be a late 80's 4-ply maple/poplar/maple Super Classic kit, the same kind that Neal Peart was playing around that time ...

User Info Menu

Oh man the first pic looks like sticks4drums’ barn. I don’t know. I’m more of a Ludwig guy but the tama set is nice. Nice finish and sizes. Reminds me of Neil peart’s Old tama kit. In fact, the setup looks identical. The Ludwig set is the opposite. Not my first colour choice and the sizes are huge. Floor toms as rack toms. If I got the Ludwig’s, I would split them up and make 2 Bonham kits!
    BA5492B8-B584-42BE-8AF4-51E95D6ADE28.jpg
    Last edited by FlyByNight; 12-03-2017 at 02:27 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Yes, the Ludwigs are huge. And I love it!
    I grew up droolin' over the x-tras and square-size toms of the 80's.

And the Ludwig-kit is MASSIVE! Four racktoms and four floortoms.
    System of Power

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Looks like a classic Ludwig kit to me. Rockers had lugs like the "standard" series...or tube lugs.

No question in my mind. Ludwigs for the win.
    I agree , those look like Ludwig Classic Maple drums. I'd go with those if they are.

User Info Menu

Ludwigs do it for me but them Tamas are sweet too!

User Info Menu

I went to the store to check those Ludwigs out and unfortunatly, the only ones that knew anything about them weren’t there. And half of the kit had been sold although the guy who was there thought that the manager might have bought them back again.
    Anyways, could I possibly play the remaining drums? No, because they were stacked in the corner of the office (couldn’t even get a proper look on ONE drum) and there were no room to assemble it...
    Needless to say, I left the store quite bummed. But I have’nt given up on them yet.
    System of Power

User Info Menu

I'd get them to give you the opportunity to look at and play what's left of the Luddy. Then I'd buy 'em.

User Info Menu

I always liked the black n white Ludwig badge better than the b/o. The Rocker series seemed like pretty good drums. Don't think the rockers used the curved spurs. I've always liked those. Some had 2 sets of spurs front and back on the bass drums.

but I'd probably go with Tama. They seemed to have more hardware options. More cutting edge kind of stuff where Ludwig seemed to be asleep and just rely on their name. A big set of Tama's with the stilt hardware still looks pretty bad a$$ imo. you'd just need an F750 to move it all

58c8bf6f3eb9c6a09b48fef15a6ed52b.jpg
    Last edited by slinky; 12-28-2017 at 05:11 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Tama for me
    -Tama Granstar II (12x11, 16x16, 22x16)
    -Yamaha 7000 Series (12x8, 13x9, 16x16 22x18)
    -Crush Sublime E3 (12x8, 16x14, 24x17)
    -Pearl Mixed Series kit (8x7, 10x8, 15x13, 20x14)
    -Brady Jarrah Ply 8x14
    -HHG Purpleheart/Cherry Stave 7x14
    -HHG Red Birch Stave 7x14
    -Pearl Masters MCX 5.5x14
    -Pearl Steel (Pre-Sensitone) 6.5x14
    -Pearl Vintage Professional Series 6.5x14
    -Tama Imperialstar Seamless Steel 6.5x14
    -Tama Soundworks Maple 6.5x14
    -Premier (African Mahogany with Beech Re-rings) 8x14
    -Remo Bravo II 5.5x14
    -OCDP Maple 6x14
    -Crush Aluminum 5.5x14
    -Crush 10 ply Maple 6x14
    -Trixon Birch 5.5x14
    -Wuhan Traditional Cymbals
    -Paiste 2002, 602,

User Info Menu

I made a trade for some vintage cherry wine 83 supes.. I'll post some pics when I get my camera fixed here before too long.. but I've added four drums since I made the trade.. I've added two imperal star concert toms a 6"& 8" just got a 10" tama superstar tom and an 18" floor tom,, and I've had to redo the finish on all 3 drums, I'm waiting on the 10". and I will redo the finish on it.. I really had a heck of a time matching that Cherry wine finish but I think I got it pretty close finally. and one thing I learn is if you have a wrap top the wood underneath was never meant to see the light of day. If you really want it nice you might have to glue on some nice veneer. I like both kits you posted but I wouldn't hesitate on grabbing those supes if you can. They are awesome drums.
    I had a lot of time to think it over lying in this hospital bed...
    I monkeyed with another monkey's monkey
    And her gorilla whupped upon my head!~Johnny Paycheck