Thread: New Year's Eve Gigs

User Info Menu

Default New Year's Eve Gigs

I used to think my band would be the lowest of the low if we couldn't get a gig on NYE..................a night with high demand for live music.
    I played a bunch of corporate Christmas parties and a NYE gig for 15 or 16 consecutive years.................and more on and off.
    For all those years, I had cash for all my gift-buying needs.
    Then...............for the last few years, I got to where I was glad I didn't have a gig on NYE.

This year, while not looking for such a gig, we were approached and have been hired to play a private country club gig for a nice price; they asked for 3 full hours of music and also had two song-requests for us to learn for the gig......................we figured for the money they offered, why not ?
    We added some new material to our list lately and will also use this gig to debut those too.
    We have a soundman-friend that lives about an hour from our town that has a very high-quality sound system (lights too) that we hire for such private events..........he's expensive................But WOW...............it's worth it..............he makes a band sound terrific...............top notch.............Crown -- JBL -- Neumann -- LED lighting.

Any bands out there making good money on private Christmas/NYE gigs ?

After a good rehearsal last night, I'm actually looking forward to this one.....................sometimes, good private gigs are the best.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Year's Eve Gigs

I WISH we could find a good private NYE gig. Most bands get double the normal price for NYE. This year, my home-town bar hired us for both NY Eve and then a repeat show on NY Day from 2-6 in the afternoon. NY Day around here is bigger than NY Eve. I cut him a deal, since we could just leave everything set up for the 2nd show.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

We turned down NYE gigs for years until the money offered became too much. When it's into the K's, how can you turn it down?

User Info Menu

i did one a few years ago and it kinda sucked. We were the closer band out of 3. Band 2 played through the 12am hour to about 12:15...
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    We turned down NYE gigs for years until the money offered became too much. When it's into the K's, how can you turn it down?
    Exactly correct, sir.
    And again................I am pumped to be working again with this specific sound company -- a remarkable difference.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I haven't played NYE in ages. Not because there haven't been opportunities, it's just that I'm not a big fan of gigging on that date.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    I haven't played NYE in ages. Not because there haven't been opportunities, it's just that I'm not a big fan of gigging on that date.
    I hear you....................like I said, we were approached................and BRIBED !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I hear you....................like I said, we were approached................and BRIBED !
    Ha Ha. We've gotten some pretty good offers over the years as well and my bandmates are none too pleased with me when I turn them down. It is what it is...............that's kinda what you sign up for when you play with me.

User Info Menu

That's cool you guys were approached to do the NYE gig. My one and only NYE gig I ever played was nearly 30 years ago when we opened for "Rain". It was very anti-climatic since we were "working" our butts off while the party was raging on. Then around 1:00am...the partying was over, everybody left except for the band. I remember how tired I was hauling gear back to the car...but the money was good!