Thread: Cheapie mic clips

User Info Menu

Default Cheapie mic clips

Hey guys I have just received some mic clips from China like below.

I know there are plenty of poor reviews but I decided to cheap out first and see if they can work even for a while. Do any of you have tips how not to break them while trying to install?

It doesn't even look like they will fit and I read of many ppl breaking them on the first try. Do they actually stretch or should they be shaved down somehow?

Thanks
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cheapie mic clips

I bought a bunch of the cheap ones also. Some of them made my hands hurt trying to stretch those onto the rims!

User Info Menu

If they are made out of plastic then you could try heating them up with a hair dryer which would soften them up a bit and snap right over the rims. Just sayin.

User Info Menu

Even worse...................using those things on cast hoops.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Well, against my better judgment, I tried one of the clips without heating and sure enough it snapped in the blink of an eye. That's why I bought an extra one! Still, this makes me more nervous about the remaining 4 as I need them all...
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

There's a reason the phrase "China crap" came to be.

User Info Menu

Hey all, a little update for posterity:

I heated my clips up in the oven and it softened them up like a charm. I placed them on a baking sheet with tin foil covering it. My oven is convection FWIW...

I started at the lowest setting (170 degrees) left them for 10 minutes, then checked and turned it up to 200 for another 10 and finally 220 for 10 more minutes. At that point, I felt good about the "softness" of the plastic and they all went on fine. I made a point of pre-bending the bottom "hook" to spread out more as the weak point in this design is the thin teeth of the upper "jaw".

Anyone thinking of using these clips should definitely take the time to warm them up first and this recipe could be used. These were literally the cheapest clips I could find on ebay from China ~$3 each.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Natman View Post
    Hey all, a little update for posterity:

I heated my clips up in the oven and it softened them up like a charm. I placed them on a baking sheet with tin foil covering it. My oven is convection FWIW...

I started at the lowest setting (170 degrees) left them for 10 minutes, then checked and turned it up to 200 for another 10 and finally 220 for 10 more minutes. At that point, I felt good about the "softness" of the plastic and they all went on fine. I made a point of pre-bending the bottom "hook" to spread out more as the weak point in this design is the thin teeth of the upper "jaw".

Anyone thinking of using these clips should definitely take the time to warm them up first and this recipe could be used. These were literally the cheapest clips I could find on ebay from China ~$3 each.
    Thanks for the follow up! Can't tell you how many times folks come here and never come back to follow up!

User Info Menu

That's impressive! I never would have thought about oven baking them

User Info Menu

I have broken a bunch of these clips. The heating method sounds promising, but I've already moved on to clips that are almost entirely metal.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones: