Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could only have one brand of drums and one brand of cymbals the rest of your l

User Info Menu

Default If you could only have one brand of drums and one brand of cymbals the rest of your l

Saw this on another forum that is geared more towards vintage drums, thought it would be interesting to see what everyone here thinks. So if you had to pick one brand of drums (has to include snares) and one brand of cymbals and stick with those brands for the rest of your life, what would they be? You could change kits (say move from Maple Absolutes with a Steve Gadd Signature snare to PHX with an Akira JImbo snare in Yamaha, and from A's to K's in Zildjian) but had to stick with those brands what would it be?

As you can guess from above I think my brands would be Yamaha and Zildjian. I have been so impressed with the build quality of my Stage Custom even though it is a lower end kit. My instructor also has a Maple Hybrid Absolute that I just love. He has a Gretsch USA Custom that he prefers over it, but the Yammies just sound better to me.

So what would you guys pick?
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you could only have one brand of drums and one brand of cymbals the rest of yo

Ludwig and Zildjians
    JOE

Seven piece vintage Ludwig kit (1971), Sky Blue Pearl, 12, 13, 14, 16, 20, 22
    Snare drums (all Ludwig): 1971 Supraphonic, 1969 SBP Classic, 1990s Blackrolite, 2012 6.5x 14 Black Magic
    Zildjian Cymbals - 21 ping, 20, 20, 19, 18, 17, 16, 15, 14 HH, 10, 18 China, Wuhan 18 China
    Five piece Sonor All Maple 3005s: 12, 13, 16, 22, 5x 14 snare
    Roland TD4SX
    SPL Birch Bop Kit: 13, 8, 13, 18

User Info Menu

Default Re: If you could only have one brand of drums and one brand of cymbals the rest of yo

Definitely Sabian, and probably DW. I like every line of Sabians, and the factory’s in Canada where I live. For that, they also have fast customer service. I’ve only owned 2 Ludwig kits, but who could go wrong with DW?
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Ludwig's, Zildjian's, and Black Beauty SS's and Supras.

User Info Menu

I'd go DW for drums as with the millions of custom colors, you could theoretically never get bored.
    Cymbals would likely be Sabian.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Pearl drums for their quality and sound. Zildjian A that is all I ever own.
    Last edited by Pearl MCX Man; 01-10-2018 at 06:51 AM.

User Info Menu

Ludwig & Paiste

User Info Menu

This is tough because I love my DW Collectors and my Sonor Essential Birch kits but if forced I would Probably go with Sonor and Zildjian, what other cymbal company makes sticks? Also this is assuming I could afford any drum they make, I played on a Sonor one of a kind beech snare at the drum center and WOW..
    Last edited by MDK; 01-10-2018 at 07:14 AM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I'm also sticking with DW.... They have sooooo many beautiful options and sizes... accessories... everything

For cymbals it's tough... I'm primarily all Sabian now and I've played Sabian my entire life.
    But in college in my Jazz phase I played and bought all Istanbul and just loved them... I just cringed when I swapped to rock and started breaking those incredibly gorgeous and even more expensive cymbals lol But if budget wasn't a factor I'd go with Istanbul.

User Info Menu

Gretsch USA and K's hands down!

For me, this is not hypothetical. This is what I have and I have zero intention of getting anything else for the time I have left.

all the best...
    Last edited by kay-gee; 01-10-2018 at 07:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Gretsch USA Customs with Zildjian K's.

8C3189F3-472B-4DE4-8A73-D5ED7D7E9543_zpsmjpg2fym.jpg

User Info Menu

Make it three in a row.................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Ludwigs and Sabians.
    Second choice is Yamaha and Paiste.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Sonor (SQ2) Zildjian

User Info Menu

So far the results are:

Drums:
    Ludwig 4
    Gretsch 3
    DW 3
    Sonor 2
    Pearl 1
    Yamaha 1

Cymbals:
    Zildjian 9
    Sabian 3
    Paiste 1
    Istanbul 1
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

If it ain't broke then..... DW Collectors and Sabian. Twenty years now with this one kit and more than that with Sabian. My cymbal choice has changed from AA to HH and most recently to Artisan. Classic great sound and looks to die for with both.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    If it ain't broke then..... DW Collectors and Sabian. Twenty years now with this one kit and more than that with Sabian. My cymbal choice has changed from AA to HH and most recently to Artisan. Classic great sound and looks to die for with both.
    I play AAX and HH but the 14” artisan hi hats sound fantastic. May be my next pair!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Same thing as the past 40 years ... Ludwig and Zildjian ...

User Info Menu

yamaha and zildjian anyday

User Info Menu

Tough call between DW and Tama. I've played Tamas for several years and have had Tama hardware my entire playing career, and I love them, but now that I have a DW kit and bass pedals, it's close. I'm going to say if I could have any of the Tama line, including the Star Series, I would pick them over DW.
    Oh yeah and Zildjian all day.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Yamaha UFiP

would miss my Pearl FF snares though
    Last edited by slinky; 01-12-2018 at 12:19 PM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    I play AAX and HH but the 14” artisan hi hats sound fantastic. May be my next pair!
    They're pricey, but wow they're good. I love mine. I love this thread too. No wrong answers, just drummers and their preference. I could live happily with any of your guys choices.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Updated:

Drums:
    Ludwig 5
    DW 4
    Gretsch 3
    Yamaha 3
    Sonor 2
    Pearl 1
    Tama 1

Cymbals:

Zildjian 12
    Sabian 4
    Paiste 1
    Istanbul 1
    Ufip 1

User Info Menu

Gave the drums an annual clean and polish yesterday. I'm in love with them all over again.

all the best...

User Info Menu

First choice would be: DW and Paiste.
    Second: Tama and Paiste.

I play:

Drums & Hardware: DW.

Cymbals: Paiste.

Heads: Evans.

Sticks: Vic Firth and Pro Mark 5A, 7A.