Thread: New 8 inch rack tom

User Info Menu

Default New 8 inch rack tom

I just got an 8 inch rack tom to add to my Design Series kit. I've wanted one ever since I first got the kit, so when I received an eBay gift card for Christmas, I used it and pulled the trigger. It arrived today, and I had already ordered a G2 to replace the stock batter, as I did on the rest of the toms in my kit. It didn't take much tuning to get it sounding great, a perfect fit with the other drums. I will do a little more dialing in, but so far I love it!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: New 8 inch rack tom

I tell you what I debated super hard on my 8" tom but I have kept it on all 3 kits.
    I love that little guy and it just helps add a lot of flavor and range

User Info Menu

Congrats! My previous kit was a Gretsch Cat Maple and I bought the add-on 8" tom, too. I loved it. I'm gassing for an 18" FT though for my current kit.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

DW also makes a 14" and 18" floor tom in this finish...

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Yup, I looked hard at the design series in Tobacco burst. It looks & sounds great. I had a perfectly good 7 pc. Cat Maple kit in a tobacco sunburst with no need to upgrade, but I wanted a virgin kick & an 18, which weren't available. I went back & forth on the decision and then a performance kit with a 24" kick went on clearance for less than the design, so I jumped on it. Maybe if money opens up I'll actually get my 18, but its a back-burner plan at this point. Congrats again on the 8.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Congrats on the new 8" tom! The Performance and Design lugs are smaller than those found on the Collector's series kits and I think those kits look much better with the smaller lugs.

Case in point...attached are pics of the 8" tom off my Collector's kit. It's hard to believe that I can get some actual resonance out of the tom with all of the chrome that's bolted on to the shell right? lol!!

doublewasher_zpsbdwyyojn.jpg

leftfront_zpsk58vt8zl.jpg

User Info Menu

^god that is just soooo gorgeous!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    ^god that is just soooo gorgeous!
    Thanks Spaz!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Congrats on the new 8" tom! The Performance and Design lugs are smaller than those found on the Collector's series kits and I think those kits look much better with the smaller lugs.

Case in point...attached are pics of the 8" tom off my Collector's kit. It's hard to believe that I can get some actual resonance out of the tom with all of the chrome that's bolted on to the shell right? lol!!

doublewasher_zpsbdwyyojn.jpg

leftfront_zpsk58vt8zl.jpg
    Actually, the collectors (Jazz, & Classic) lugs are incredibly light. When I was ordering my Kit at Cadence in Rochester they had a DW full size turret lug on the counter. I picked it up too examine and was amazed at how light and massless it seemed. I thought it was plastic at first.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I picked it up too examine and was amazed at how light and massless it seemed. I thought it was plastic at first.
    Could explain why they are oversized.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Could explain why they are oversized.
    I can't think of any other reason besides carrying on the Camco tradition. They add no sonic value to the shell but I can tell within seconds what kit it is. Bingo!

RL-0414_03.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 01-12-2018 at 08:47 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Actually, the collectors (Jazz, & Classic) lugs are incredibly light. When I was ordering my Kit at Cadence in Rochester they had a DW full size turret lug on the counter. I picked it up too examine and was amazed at how light and massless it seemed. I thought it was plastic at first.
    Okay...here's a first...for me anyway. I'm replying to myself! I am in the process of detailing my Collectors. Of course I removed the lugs and was surprised at how heavy they were compared to my memory of them at Cadence. Either there is/was some kinda subjective variance or um, the lug at Cadence was plastic.
    That got me thinking about the actual surface contact with the shell. If you take the turret lug and stretch it out into a teardrop or beavertail shape, the area really is about the same. Compared to an Imperial Ludwig or a Slingerland snare lug, they look to have less area.
    I was also surprised by the torque, or lack thereof, on the lug screws. They are brought up snug but not at all cranked. Makes sense being a metal fastener on wood, but (being a chronic over tightener) I was surprised.