Thread: Days of Future Passed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Days of Future Passed

Wanted to get some ideas flowing from you tub slappers ( term of endearment ) on an uncertain topic, for me it's uncertain anyway. We see more and more motion capture technology in athletics and I was wondering about the same kind of deal in learning drums. For instance, if Buddy Rich had the best overall technique, and I'm not saying he did, if it was captured on a 3D motion capture system what's your thoughts on using it to teach beginners, or using it for your own personal data system to compare to what "better" players are doing biomechanically? Would learning be accelerated?

Personally, I think there are too many nuances involved, so many nuances that playing couldn't be TOTALLY captured in a kinematic sense by any device, and that we mostly learn by pulling the correct sound out of the drum. I don't think it possible to capture on a computer a graph showing the small finger movements controlling bounce at hyper speed, and even if it could, what good would it do for a beginner. As you can tell, many questions here. Thoughts in the New Year?
    Last edited by 10Lug; 01-10-2018 at 06:01 PM.