Thread: How cold is it where you are?

User Info Menu

Default How cold is it where you are?

It reached -39C or -38F with the windchill in Wpg today. I have to walk 10 minutes from my car to campus every day. Even with a good jacket, gloves and tuque, I still can’t feel my fingers by the time I get there. We had a few warm days. The day before yesterday it was around -20C (-4F). This is our average winter. What’s the weather where you are??
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Default Re: How cold is it where you are?

It was almost a record high temp today in Chicagoland, 56F. (record 61F in 1890) dropping to 16 degrees F.

User Info Menu

We had a real cold spell for about 10 days. Now we are having some warm weather 50-60, then it's going down to the mid 30's for a couple of days.

The best thing in the winter where I live is the almost total lack of wind chill. It doesn't even get mentioned in the weather reports. I look at it on my PC and it will say, it's 35 degrees here in Statesville, feels like 35 degrees. The wind is the killer, it was brutal where we lived in Jersey. I would look at the weather report and it would say, "The temp is 31, the wind chill makes it feel like 11". This is my 6th winter here, I think I've worn a jacket twice. Most of the time it's a sweatshirt and a flannel shirt. I love it here. Compared to Jersey, it's mild winters and comfortable summers. Can't ask for more than that.

User Info Menu

Not sure where you live in Canada FBN but we had like 1 1/2 week of -30 with wind chills. This week was crazy we had 3 days of + 8 and the snow has disappeared and it slushy muddy etc as I write this message. The temps are dropping to - 9 by the afternoon which will call a flash freeze and to - 14 overnight and staying that way for the next 4 days with a little snow. Strange Winter so far.

User Info Menu

-9 here today in the great state of WI. . .

User Info Menu

Not cold but a T storm like you wouldn't believe. Power was off all night. Just returned. Couldn't make into town on account of flooded roads. Oh well. Not likely to rent boats today.

PS I'm wearing a T-shirt and Fruit of the looms!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Northern California

1.jpg

User Info Menu

It's been crazy here in the Midwest. We had that arctic cold over New Years weekend.... -17F with wind chills in the -40F's. Then this last week it was in the low 50F's. Now it's going to be back in the sub-zero temps this weekend.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

check shoutbox for all the weather news of the day

User Info Menu

This morning it is 5 F and 3 inches of the white stuff on the ground. Shoud stay cold for the weekend and then back up above freezing next week.

User Info Menu

Yesterday was freezing rain, then 4 inches of snow. Schools were cancelled and I worked from home. Today the high is 16.
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Nothing like the paradox of living in the SF bay area with 60 F temperatures and more snow flakes than an Erie lake effect winter storm.
    FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes FibesFibesFibesFibesFibesFibes

User Info Menu

-42C this morning
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

With the exception of a few blustery days it been fairly mild winter in Devon so far. During the afternoons temperatures have been in the low to mid 40s dropping to a little above freezing overnight. So far my little corner of the country seems to have missed the worst of it - I haven't yet had to scrape/de-ice my car in the morning. Fingers crossed it stays this way as I'm no fan of freezing my butt off.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    -42C this morning
    You must live in Western Canada maybe Albert just guessing by the cold snap out there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    -42C this morning
    Ouch!!

Time to call a moving company

You do realize of course that Dentistry is a globally marketable skill

all the best...

User Info Menu

A chilly 29C today

Last edited by xweasel; 01-16-2018 at 08:48 AM.
    - Zack