Thread: Snare wire theory

User Info Menu

Default Snare wire theory

Hi all,

I have converted to Grover non-spiral wires. It's hard to explain why, I just like them. First had a set of jazz dark which I bought used for half price, just got a new club dark last month...

When I go back & forth on the same snare, I like qualities of both: the jazz has that sensitivity but the club has better projection.

So naturally I thought about modifying the wires to have a combination of both. Removing the wires and brazing them back on is simple enough, but here is what has me a little puzzled:

-Should the middle or sides get the thinner jazz wires?

I know the fundamental is in the center and overtones project outward, but has anyone else done this kind of thing?

Thanks!
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare wire theory

Quote Originally Posted by Natman View Post
    Hi all,

I have converted to Grover non-spiral wires. It's hard to explain why, I just like them. First had a set of jazz dark which I bought used for half price, just got a new club dark last month...

When I go back & forth on the same snare, I like qualities of both: the jazz has that sensitivity but the club has better projection.

So naturally I thought about modifying the wires to have a combination of both. Removing the wires and brazing them back on is simple enough, but here is what has me a little puzzled:

-Should the middle or sides get the thinner jazz wires?

I know the fundamental is in the center and overtones project outward, but has anyone else done this kind of thing?

Thanks!
    I don't really know. Whats the total strand count? Maybe you can put the jazz wires to the outside, on both sides and the club wires in the center.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare wire theory

I'd like to see pics of your wire build. If you can... thx
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN