Thread: Kickport with or without pillow.

User Info Menu

Default Kickport with or without pillow.

Question: I have a Ludwig breakbeat with a kickport that I installed myself. Also have a evans pillow inside the bass drum which sounds pretty good. Should I leave the pillow in or leave it out?

Keep drumming
    Gregg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kickport with or without pillow.

If it sounds good, leave it in.

User Info Menu

For a smaller kick like that, i’d always have a pillow in there. Even with a kick port, it’s hard to get the pitch low enough to sound like a kick. The pillow against the batter will lower the pitch and deaden the head. I’d leave it in. SpazApproved put an emad on his floor Tom kick and I think he put a pillow in it too.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have always used a small pillow that touched both heads in my un-ported bass drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    For a smaller kick like that, i’d always have a pillow in there. Even with a kick port, it’s hard to get the pitch low enough to sound like a kick. The pillow against the batter will lower the pitch and deaden the head. I’d leave it in. SpazApproved put an emad on his floor Tom kick and I think he put a pillow in it too.
    I tried it both ways with and without the pillow. I liked the sound with the Evans pillow in better.
    I am planning on porting that drum shortly so I'll also check again with that sound difference.
    But I prefer the pillow.

User Info Menu

Does it sound good with it in? Leave it.
    Does it sound good with it out? Take it out.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Does it sound good with it in? Leave it.
    Does it sound good with it out? Take it out.
    ^This!

User Info Menu

Yep, I'd say whatever sounds better. The real question is what "sounds better" for the situation. If it's just you sitting behind the kit, then do what your ears tell you. If you are putting a mic on the reso, then you'll probably need a pillow in it. If you're playing with a band, with no mics, then "wide open" may be what sounds best out front where it matters. It's all subjective.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham